Profile for J. M. F. Hill > Reviews

Content by J. M. F. Hill

J. M. F. Hill "gobz" (Bristol)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Nostradamus
Nostradamus

3.0 out of 5 stars found it pretty good - 3.5/5, 22 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Nostradamus (Audio CD)
Actually I`ve never really been much of a Priest fan and I remember them from way back in 1980 so I`ve been around a while and I wasn`t going to care how much this album sounded like Priest are supposed to sound.

I think that they should have edited it down to one strong, long single album but overall I quiet liked it. I am a fan of vangelis and classical style filmscores so I enjoyed that aspect of it. A couple of fast numbers would have been good somewhere as well.

So this album uses the filmscore/rock Opera approach to metal which is great if done well and this has been done pretty well just a bit too long. Not as good as Manowar`s `Gods of War` concept album of last year or as good as any Opeth song ( all their songs tend to sound like a concept album ! ) but overall a good effort that obviously had an awful lot of work put into it. 3.5 out of 5.

Datel Max Drive 160 (Xbox 360)
Datel Max Drive 160 (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this , it`s not what it seems, 6 Jan. 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This is just an external usb hard drive and plugs into PC`s and XBOX 360s etc. It will not store data from the 360 as it uses the read only usb connections. You can buy a tiny usb 2.0 external hard drive these days for around a quarter of the price of this, use that to store all your music & vids dumped onto from your PC.

Do not buy this unless you like to watch people set fire to great wads of your own cash !

Requiem: Mezzo Forte
Requiem: Mezzo Forte
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars crap ! That`s Rubbish Musha !, 3 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Requiem: Mezzo Forte (Audio CD)
I found this to be different to most things, not really a collection of songs but a movement of sorts like a filmscore etc. Very atmospheric, put it on when you want to relax ( darkly ). To the moron who wrote the 1 star review before me, is obviously brain damaged or an asbo bound child who should just go and play on the motorway or something instead.

Medal of Honor: Airborne (PC DVD)
Medal of Honor: Airborne (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Spec Lies - Unreal 3 Engine leaves alot to be desired, 20 Dec. 2007
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Don`t believe the system specs that you need to play this. It`s all lies as the framerate is terrible. I have a P4 3.6GHZ, 2 gig ram & X1950XT graphics card system which I built at the beginning of the year. The frame rate ranges from acceptable to dire and everywhere in between. Turning down graphics settings is a joke and makes little difference.

To play a game like this properly I would have to spend another £300+ replacing the graphics card and cpu to a duel core E6750. I`m sorry but that isn`t acceptable some 10 months after building a pretty good system. In fact high end PC games are a waste of time, I`ve had enough of wasting money I`m going to buy an X-Box 360 and a few good games for less money than it would take me to upgrade, yes I know that the 360 games cost more but that`s what ebay is for when you have finished with them, so apart from the initial outlay on a few games the cost is not really that much.

In fact I originally put a duel core E6600 in my machine but had so many problems with it running games at the time that I had to replace it with the P4 cpu, what a fiasco. The PC is dead as a high end gaming platform, long live the 360 and it`s successors.

I`ve marked this games rating as very low based on the spec problems and the fact that the unreal 3 engine that powers the game is obviously far to resource hungry even when you turn all the settings down thus making the game inaccessible to all but people who have nothing better to do in life but throw shed loads of money at a PC system just to play games like this on it. The developers should have used a modified halflife 2 engine, that delivers. I`m going to sell this game on and like I said buy an x-box 360 ( plus this game for it ) cos now I`m past caring about PC games like this.
Nuff said

Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Heder
Offered by TwoRedSevens

1.0 out of 5 stars OMFG - Worst film ever made !, 22 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite [DVD] (DVD)
This film is the worst that I have ever seen. I had to watch it till the end because I could not believe that it was that bad, and it was.

It`s so dreary and the characters are all really sad and they go nowhere !

I could not find anthing to like about the film from any which way you want to look at it.

In fact watching paint dry is far more exciting/interesting.

Plan 9 from outta space, worst film ever ? nah it`s better than this !

what !, I was forced to give it one star as no stars are not allowed here !
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2008 5:54 PM BST

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars bought direct from Amazon - really dissappointed !, 6 Jun. 2007
I don`t understand the reviews on this product. I bought my pair from Amazon and not the marketplace so they should not have been fake knock offs.

The clarity of the sound is good, however where is this bass that I`ve been hearing of ? ( no pun intended ). The bass is weak, if I hold the headphones in my ears as far as they will go then I can hear it but that`s not practical and it`s still not that great.

I bought these to replace some half decent sony earphones that got lost, but they don`t even come close bass wise, not even as good as some cheaper earphones that I`ve been using in their place.

My advice spend about a tenner on some sony headphones, they know what they are doing.

Just for the record I would have given 2 stars for the clarity of sound, but seeing as I personally won`t use them at all then I have to give them 1.

£14 down the drain, hmmmff !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2008 11:04 AM GMT

Live
Live

4.0 out of 5 stars When Quo were at their peek, 5 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
I originally bought this album on vinyl in the early eighties and always thought that it was very good. If you are a hard rock or metal fan then this is the era of Quo that you want to hear with the more raw and brash sound along with bassist Alan Lancaster providing some of the vocals too which all helped give them a definite undiluted hard rock sound back then.

Since being into this album as a kid some 25 years ago I`ve been through the musical mill being into Metal ,House , Thrash , death metal , hardcore , cybermetal , Trance , goth metal , Nu-metal , metalcore etc and currently my fave bands apart from my own are Opeth Onslaught and Children of Bodom !

I wouldn`t normally recommend Quo to a rock/metal fan of today but their work from the early/mid seventies is surely worth a look and this album is the best one to go for

Good stuff !

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 7 [DVD] [1996]
Star Trek: Voyager - Season 7 [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Kate Mulgrew

4.0 out of 5 stars Endgame, 18 May 2006
Well I thought that this season was ok generally and I don`t understand why people didn`t like the endgame finale, I videoed it when it originally aired I watched it over 5 timesand I thought that it was the best finale of any star trek, period as a 2 parter it was movie lenghth and I`d have paid money to see it at the Cinema, so there !

Sony MSA-64A Memory Stick - 64MB
Sony MSA-64A Memory Stick - 64MB

4.0 out of 5 stars essential for your clie, 5 Feb. 2003
Get this, great for the money and use seperate `power run` software to install all stuff to it, even files that have a seperate database ! Thanks to this I have over 200 games, files and apps running on my clie.
Sorted !