Profile for Mr. Richard D. Cale > Reviews

Content by Mr. Richard D....

Mr. Richard D. Cale (Devon, UK)

How to Read a Book: The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading (A Touchstone book)
by Mortimer J. Adler

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 20 Jun 2010
I bought this book based on the reviews which are normally quite accurate. Couldn't have been further from the truth. I've never read a book that was so uninteresting and the author goes into such detail over somthing that could be summerised in one sentence. Let me summerise this book for you - underline words and sentences that you find interesting or you don't understand.

I sold this book back on Amazon after reading it as I wanted my money back!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2012 10:23 AM BST

De'Longhi Retro MTR2000 Oil Filled Radiator, 2kW (Metropolis Finish)
De'Longhi Retro MTR2000 Oil Filled Radiator, 2kW (Metropolis Finish)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 5 Mar 2010
Looks great and kicks out a lot of heat. Only gripe is the temperature guage which wobbles a little (something others have mentioned). It doesn't put me off though.

Top Man: How Philip Green Built His High Street Empire
Top Man: How Philip Green Built His High Street Empire
by Stewart Lansley

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather boring, 12 Dec 2009
I thought I would give this book a go and at times, I did get into it. Other times it was laborious and hard work. I wanted to learn from this book and Philip Green but I didn't. There is incredible detail which is unnecessary and by the time I was about 1/3 of the way through the book, I could already see a pattern of how things would develop and I was right. 2/3 of the way through I put the book down and filed it in my bookcase.

I wanted to learn from the master but the information just didn't come through...

How To Be Smart With Your Money
How To Be Smart With Your Money
by Duncan Bannatyne

2.0 out of 5 stars Average at best..., 25 Aug 2009
I like Duncan a lot and thought this book would be great. But it is really written for people who don't understand money. Basics like mortgages (fixed rate, variable rate), how to save money and how to be careful with your money are what the book is about. Essentially if you have a basic understanding about money itself and maybe have a savings account, this book will be wasted on you.

I read it in about 5 days in the evening, and shook my head with disappointment afterwards.

Nature Aquarium World: Book 3: Bk. 3
Nature Aquarium World: Book 3: Bk. 3
by Takashi Amano

5.0 out of 5 stars SETS THE STANDARD, 4 Dec 2003
The third book in the series and by far the best. The pictures are wonderful and well presented. Takashi uses so many plants, it's often difficult to distingiush which plants are what, but this doesn't stop you from loving the book.
Some of the tanks are enormous, (over 2500 litres) which is incredible but there are plenty of smaller more modest one's like 250 litres. He has absolutley perfected the art of imitating nature as his plants are so perfect and healthy, the pictures are very professional as well. There is a small write up of each aquarium set up which is interesting as it explains his thinking behind the individual tanks. Takashi also sells his own products ([...]) which he uses in all the tanks. It's worth a look but very expensive.
All in all, a must for any fishkeeper and should anyone need a little inspiration then this is the book for them. I eagerly await book number 4.