Profile for GMax > Reviews

Content by GMax

GMax "Maxcat19" (Scotland, UK)

The Reason Why You Were Born: 2014 Edition - Written in the style of an easy to read 'letter to a friend' - Outlining Spiritual Knowledge, Truth and Wisdom
by Mr James J McQuitty

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward, honest and informative, 1 Jan. 2016
This book gives one of the most straightforward and clear explanations of spiritual matters that I have ever read and the truth shines out through the words. I have often wanted a book I could recommend to those who are awakening spiritually and who need some good grounding information that's down to earth and without any religious connotations. His style is concise and emanates a loving warmth that is almost tangible.
Highly recommended.

Harrison Connections: Tom Harrison's 'Desire to communicate'
Harrison Connections: Tom Harrison's 'Desire to communicate'
by Ann Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Life does indeed continue after death!, 10 July 2015
A genuine, honest and uplifting account of Tom's communications from the after life. This great book brings the message that life does continue after death, that we never lose anyone we love and it gives hope, comfort and understanding about life beyond the veil.
Highly recommended!

Swordfish 'Sketch' Electric Pencil Sharpener 8mm ref 40050
Swordfish 'Sketch' Electric Pencil Sharpener 8mm ref 40050

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but worth every penny!, 30 Oct. 2013
I had to swallow hard before I parted with my money for this sharpener, but | am so pleased I bought it. I had just thrown away a Jakar electric sharpener which lasted about 6 years, ( an internal cog had worn, but as it was made of plastic, not very surprising I suppose )and was looking for a good alternative. The reviews were positive and accurate.
It's a sturdy machine to use and very quiet compared with the much noisier Jakar. It sharpens graphite and coloured pencils like a knife going through butter. Yes, you need to have a good grip on the pencil, and don't push too hard either. But my greatest discovery, oh joy, is that it will sharpen pastel pencils which are notoriously fickle to sharpen by any other means other than by hand. With one proviso - don't try to get a sharp point on the pencil otherwise the end will break off and stick inside ( easily removed with a stiff brush ). Just take off enough to give you a decent length of pastel ( keep checking and again, don't push it hard into the machine ) and then you can hone it to a fine point by hand with a blade.
I hope this will last for a very long time.

Dealing With Death, Coping With The Pain
Dealing With Death, Coping With The Pain
by Susan Leigh

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent practical help and advice, 20 Jan. 2013
This excellent book covers the complete spectrum of dealing with loss, bereavement and grief, and the challenges of moving on with life. Well written by an experienced Therapist, it is a straightforward, sensitive, compassionate, but above all practical and jargon free guide for this most stressful of life's experiences. Many different ways and sensible suggestions are offered for coping with loss and grief, followed by a wealth of positive ideas to get you back on your feet. An indispensable book that everyone should have.

Duronic CH260SS Compact Stainless Steel Multi Chopper
Duronic CH260SS Compact Stainless Steel Multi Chopper
Offered by DURONIC

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Chopper !, 2 Jun. 2011
I wanted a replacement for my old Kenwood blender / chopper to grind seed and nuts. I am not disappointed. It makes a good job of grinding almonds although the trick is not to overfill it and keep giving it a good shake in between pulses.
Seeds - linseeds, sunflower and sesame seeds - did a good job - ditto about not overfilling it.
It chops fresh herbs perfectly ( I tried it with coriander ). The blade, as other reviewers have mentioned, is razor sharp and needs to be handled with extreme care.
It is easy to clean and looks neat, smart and sits unobtrusively on my kitchen worktop.
I chose it on the strength of the reviews and so pleased I did. A little beauty for a very reasonable price.

Sony ICF-S79V Weather Band Shower Radio
Sony ICF-S79V Weather Band Shower Radio

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 24 Dec. 2008
This has lasted just over a year, with the volume control malfunctioning after only a short time. Now the radio won't work at all. Yes I have put new batteries in !
I thought that by paying a little more and for a "quality" name it might last for a decent while but obviously that has not been the case.

In Search Of The Dark Ages
In Search Of The Dark Ages
by Michael Wood

4.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Ages Come Alive, 3 May 2007
A great introduction to a little known period of history which Michael Wood brings to life with an engaging and informative style of delivery. A bit heavy in some places but the pace soon livens up up again.

But only a 4 star rating as the text is seriously let down by a complete lack of maps and genealogy diagrams, despite some good photographs.

Editors please take note!

Lite-On LVW-5055GDL Dual Format Multi-region Capable DVD Recorder with 250GB Hard Drive and DivX

1.0 out of 5 stars BIG DISAPPOINTMENT, 2 Oct. 2006
I decided to buy this model despite some negative reviews on Amazon because two of my neighbours have a machine each and had told me how good it was.

Unfortunately my machine didn't perform properly from the start. I was unsure whether I was doing something wrong but the faults got worse, and it became obvious that it wasn't me.

I could play a DVD but not record onto one and it would refuse more often than not to record on the hard drive, especially if I had used the timer facility.

Eventually I contacted LiteOn who proved very polite and seemingly very helpful but we couldn't resolve the problem over the phone. I returned the unit to them for repair and told them quite clearly what the problems were.

The unit was returned fairly promptly with a repair note inside to say a fault had been detected and the DVD drive had been replaced.

But why, LiteOn repair guys, did you obviously NEVER test the machine before you returned it?

Having unpacked it and reconnected it, it still refused to record on to DVD and in addition the hard drive had crashed, with an "Action failed " message ( with an error number ) coming up on screen.

I contacted LiteOn again who didn't seem to be familiar with the error code number and had no answers about what to do next, except to speak to Amazon.

At that point I gave up all hope and contacted Amazon who were brilliant ( should have done it from the start ) and they refunded my money after I returned the machine to them.

What a shame - the machine has great potential - easy to use, big hard drive, good price and has a multitude of things you can do with it, but hopeless if it doesn't work.

My advice? Spend a bit more and go for a better known brand.

Good luck to you if you buy one of these and it works for you, and I would suggest putting the thing through it's paces immediately to suss out any problems. If you do have problems after the guarantee has expired... well - I for one have no faith at all in their repair workshop.

The Poetic Landscape: A Contemporary Visual and Psychological Exploration
The Poetic Landscape: A Contemporary Visual and Psychological Exploration
by Elizabeth Mowry

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, sensual mind expanding experience!, 8 July 2001
Settle yourself down somewhere comfortable, a drink by your side, making sure you will not be disturbed for a good while, open the pages .... and walk with your eyes through the doorway of the author's lyrical prose into a rich and mystical landscape - a journey of exploration. The senses, mind and heart expand and open to timeless dimensions, as the author explores the use of line, colour, form, weather, and picture format amongst other elements, that, used with awareness and sensitivity can create a poetic landscape. The gentle understated text is illustrated by superb reproductions of her paintings. They have a deceptive simplicity and harmony that not only demonstrate an excellent technical ability, but also allow the imagination to fill in the details and evoke half remembered places and fleeting nostalgic emotions. A beautiful and ageless book to return to time and time again, maybe to revisit the text to discover new learnings, or simply to lose oneself in the dreamlike landscapes. You will not be disappointed - ENJOY!