Profile for vn82 > Reviews

Revenge
Revenge
by Martina Cole
Price: 7.00

2.0 out of 5 stars First and most definitely my LAST Martina Cole book, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: Revenge (Hardcover)
This really didn't live up to my expectations of a Martina Cole book. I have heard people rave about her books, especially since she's been donned 'the Queen of crime fiction,' but I clearly haven't picked one of her best books. She has a knack of being repetitive, rehashing the same idea sentence after sentence and when she has finished, she recounts the same event from another point of view with the same repetitiveness! This book could have got the same points across in a half the words.

On top of this, I found her characters to be rather one dimensional, many of them predictable and stereotypical with no growth over the course of the book. There were really only 3 types of character in the book: the attractive good guy, the attractive but troublesome guy who we always end up wanting to save or, the ugly bad guy. I just didn't find them interesting enough.

My last point is about the way it was written. I this it's just her style but Martina Cole is too keen to steer her reader: she tells you how to feel about a character or a situation without letting you decide for yourself based on information you are given about them - there was no challenge in trying to work out the characters. She really does let you switch off so, on the one hand this is a very readable book, like switching on the tv and watching whatever is on when you are bored. On the other hand, if you want something that really engages you, makes you think a little, makes you want to recommend it to someone else, this is probably not it.

Gaventa London 3oz Pale Blue Leather Stainless Steel Hipflask
Gaventa London 3oz Pale Blue Leather Stainless Steel Hipflask
Offered by Thomas Rose Giftware
Price: 28.40

4.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 5 stars if it gave me the funnel it promised me!, 9 May 2014
I probably wouldn't have cared if it wasn't in the description but I don't like expecting to be given something and then for it not to turn up. The flask, on its own, deserved 5 stars because the flask is very pretty, lovely colour and finish, and a perfect size. It might be smaller than the standard ones you see though, so I think those would be the 5 or 8oz.

Philips Satinelle Corded Epilator HP6423/00 with Ladyshave Head Plus Trimming Comb
Price: 34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for the price, but there are better one out there, 9 May 2014
I didn't want to spend a lot on an epilator, especially since I was so annoyed at myself for losing the epilation head of my first one but I now regret that.

This product does the job...sort of. I can't complain about the shaving attachment but the epilation attachment has a few things that could be better:

1). No Guides - I don't know what to call them but the last epilation head I had had these sort of comb things either side that made sure you orientated the head at the right angle for hair removal, such a simple thing made epilation much more efficient but here it's so easy to orientate it so it's no actually pulling out many hairs so you have to spend more time on each area.

2) Breaks the hair rather than pull out - the whole point of buying an epilator, for me, was to get the long-lasting hair removal from the root like waxing but without the mess. This epilator half removes hair from the root and then some of the hairs are pinched hard and pulled so quickly that they actually just break at the surface of the skin rather than being pulled out - effectively getting the result of shaving (which doesn't last as long) AND with the pain of epilation. I don't mind pain, but why would I undergo it when I could get a similar effect shaving painlessly? I think it may have been because the faster of the two setting is too fast so it actually seems better on the lower setting.

I won't be buying the same/ similar model when this breaks / I lose it because my Remington epilator was just 10 pounds more and gave me much better result but I'll keep going with it because it's convenient.

Purple Plain TPU Rubber Skin Case Cover for Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation 5G 5
Offered by Electromaster (Ships From USA)
Price: 3.45

3.0 out of 5 stars Protects but not a good finish on the product, 9 May 2014
Pros:
-Protects like it's supposed to and the reason I bought it
- No shipping problems - although it took longer than most of my Amazon deliveries because it cam from America

Things that weren't clear when I bought it:
- I thought this would be more gel-like, almost like the silicon covers but it was a lot harder.

Cons:
- Poor Finish - considering it's supposed to be a shined finish, it had a lot of marks and scratches when I opened it - almost like nail polish on your nails getting a little scuffed. I didn't like the fact that it looked like someone had already used it to protect their Ipod and battered it a bit but I suppose it's going to get ruined a little so why bother returning something so cheap?

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Gift for a Tea Lover, 8 Aug 2013
I'd seen this when I'd gone to tea and I thought this would be a good present for a friend who also loves tea and things related, it really has some pretty flowering teas and it's good to bring the experience home!

Glass Tea Cup and Saucer 200ml
Glass Tea Cup and Saucer 200ml
Offered by Exotic Teapot
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Glass Tea Cup and Saucer 200ml
I bought some as a present for my friend, as an accompaniment to a glass teapot and flowering tea and she was very happy. They're classy, delicate and just that little bit different compared to normal tea cups and saucers in their shape and, obviously, being glass.

QI: The Book of General Ignorance - The Noticeably Stouter Edition: The Noticeably Stouter Edition
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars QI is always interesting, 8 Aug 2013
I like watching QI and don't watch it nearly as much as I'd like. As usual, the book gives unexpected answers to questions we thought we knew the answers to and the background to it all so it's wonderful if you want to just pick up random facts. It was perfect for reading in the tube.

Giant Microbes Waterbear (Hypsibius dujardini)
Giant Microbes Waterbear (Hypsibius dujardini)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, 8 Aug 2013
I bought it as a present and it's sweet looking, takes the ugly edge off the real tardigrades but it is a nice addition to any keen scientist's life.

Candy Kittens
Candy Kittens
by Jamie Laing
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised and good variety, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Candy Kittens (Hardcover)
As recipe books for sweet things go, this is really impressive. It isn't just limited to cakes, ice creams and biscuits like most of them are, it has some lovely recipes such as making rock candy and bubbletea which is interesting. I got this as a present for a friend and, obviously, part of the reason was because we both enjoy Made in Chelsea as a guilty pleasure so it still had a little bit of "typical Jaimie" speak in it to satisfy that. I was impressed.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, as expected, 8 Aug 2013
I bought this because it was one of those books that gets referred to a lot, everyone uses the jokes about whether they're dealing with Jekyll and Hyde when they talk about people in real life. Even though I understood what they meant, I hadn't actually read the book and I didn't know the story properly, just that one was good and one was bad. It was well written, interesting and satisfied my curiosity - I finally know what those sayings are all about!

Page: 1 | 2