Profile for Mr. Nigel Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. Nigel Smith

Mr. Nigel Smith (Doha, Qatar)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Periodic Tales: The Curious Lives of the Elements
Periodic Tales: The Curious Lives of the Elements
by Hugh Aldersey-Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 20 Sep 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A different take on the periodic table, chemistry, and history in general. Th ebook worked quite well, full of interesting historical and technical nuggets. It could do with a better index, or at least a table of contents - it does ramble around a bit. But considering I read it in a week of bedtime reading, it gets at least four stars!

Life's Too Short to Drink Bad Wine: 100 wines for the discerning drinker
Life's Too Short to Drink Bad Wine: 100 wines for the discerning drinker
by Simon Hoggart

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly useful, 6 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never really got on with books about wine. Perhaps it's my poor memory but by the time I get to the off-licence I can never remember the names. But I thought I'd give this one a go. The book is quite entertaining actually, well written and quite funny. But at the end of the day, it exists to recommend wine, and I think that wine is such a personal thing that you can't learn it from a book. So all in all, the book itself is quite good, but it fails in the same way that all books on wine fail - unless you can taste the stuff it's all fairly meaningless. This will be my last purchase of books on wine.

AmazonBasics Lens Cleaning Pen System
AmazonBasics Lens Cleaning Pen System

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 6 Mar 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Basic by name, and basic by nature. I was really disappointed with this. Other than getting rid of bits of fluff or dust with the brush, any more stubborn marks took too long to remove. Even rain spots didn't seem to come off very well. I had to press very hard to make any sort of progress, leaving me wondering if I was doing permanent damage to the glass. I'll be sticking to a basic lens cloth in future.

Hix Oyster & Chop House
Hix Oyster & Chop House
by Mark Hix

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 18 Jan 2011
A solid, well put together, glossy-papered book arrived, which oozes quality and bodes well for the rest of the content. There are some good sections on meat cuts and the overall narrative is interesting, explaining some of the history of the cuts and the associated recipes. However, the recipes themselves are quite intricate and specific in their ingredient lists. This means that the book would only be appropriate for special occasion cooking, involving well executed pre-shopping. I'm not sure, therefore, that I would practice too much and I wouldn't wish to serve my guests something that I have never made before. So all in all, the book looks great but I don't think there will be too many cooking stains on it!

Exposure Digital Field Guide
Exposure Digital Field Guide
by Alan Hess

4.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense!, 11 July 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good, practical, straight-talking guide that deals well with the tricky subject of exposure. You can drop in to it as required to deal with a specific issue, or just start at the beginning and work through it. Plenty of photo examples are shown, importantly, with the exposure settings (aperture, speed, iso) listed, something lacking in too many so-called photography books.

David Attenborough's Life Stories (BBC Audio)
David Attenborough's Life Stories (BBC Audio)
by Sir David Attenborough
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Old BBC!, 19 Feb 2010
Say what you like about the Beeb, they chrurn out some pretty good documentaries. The TV series was excellent, David Attenborough is constantly at the top of his game, and this collection of short stories complements the whole package. Each bite-size story (they are about 9 minutes long) are funny, imformative, and come with the reassuring tones of Mr Attenborough.

Put it in the car for the commuteto work, and brighten up your day!

Whose Side are They On? How Britain's Bonkers Government Is Coming After You
Whose Side are They On? How Britain's Bonkers Government Is Coming After You
by Alan Pearce

2.0 out of 5 stars It gets a bit tedious, 22 Jan 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book doesn't sit on the bookshelf anymore. It's in the basket next to the toilet with back-issues of "Hello" magazine. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's certainly not a book that you would want to read cover-to-cover in one go. It's a collection of stories that you would find on page 7 onwards in the Daily Mail or Daily Express. Some make you think, "what's this country coming to?" etc. but after a while it sort of runs out of originality and the format just repeats itself.

Recommended as a present for the office conspiracy-theorist (they all have one!)

The Blasphemer
The Blasphemer
by Nigel Farndale

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow start - but stick with it, 20 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Blasphemer (Hardcover)
All in all this is worth a go. Just keep your patience at the start and don't give up. It certainly improves after about page 60! Some good ideas are presented.

eMedia Guitar Method 4 (PC/Mac)
eMedia Guitar Method 4 (PC/Mac)

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good so far, 20 Nov 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I haven't spent much time on this but from what I've seen it shows some great promise. It doesn't attempt to teach you to read music, it is really all about chords and strumming, but that's okay I suppose. The best thing is it gets you playing familiar songs very quickly which helps to keep the interest up.

Recommended.

Berlitz Learn Japanese/Chinese Premier (PC/Mac) (4 CD Set - Windows & Macintosh)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless, 22 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay, so I'm not good at languages, so maybe a language teacher needs to be extra special to keep me interested but this is terrible. I even gave it a couple of goes, hoping that I may have missed something first time round, but unfortunately I hadn't.

The installation on the Mac was clunky, which is simply unacceptable. It is slow. It is not intuitive. But worst of all it just throws you in at the deep end and you are expected to survive. Perhaps this is a good strategy when you are living in the country, but not in the comfort of your own home.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but it just didn't do it for me.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3