Profile for John McBride > Reviews

Be Careful What You Wish For
by Simon Jordan
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 20 Jun 2013
This is a very fast paced book. From the off, we hear about Simon Jordan's drive to succeed. He did, & then we hear of his time, incredible that it was, when he bought Crystal Palace FC. He wanted to do things in the right way, that much must be said about the man. Get in his way then expect either an ear bashing or getting thrown out on your ear.
Simon Jordan tells us everything there is to know about owning & running a Football Club & as he tells us in the introduction, "warts & all".
I loved it, I read it in 3 days & would recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in both sports & business trials & tribulations.

Living With Evil
Living With Evil
by Cynthia Owen
Price: 6.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Living With Evil (Paperback)
This book is hard to describe, it really is. Is it a good book? How can it be? Yet you can't give this bok anything other than 5 stars. This is the most harrowing book I have ever read, & I have read some.

No Place to Hide: How I Put the Black in the Union Jack
No Place to Hide: How I Put the Black in the Union Jack
by Errol Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars The only bad thing about this book is that it finishes, 3 May 2010
If you like boxing at all, pick this book up & read it. Being in my mid-forties myself, I remember Errol Christie's fights well. Who can forget what happened with Mark Kaylor. Did everyone know how bad racisim was back then? This guy tried & tried, & I'm pleased to say, is still trying.

As I said in my title about this book, The only bad thing about this book is that it finishes. Well worth a read, its honest, vibrant & very much real.

Escape: The True Story of the Only Westerner Ever to Break Out of the Bangkok Hilton
by David McMillan
Price: 7.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish this book, 14 April 2009
I waited, & waited, & waited for David McMillan to escape. Three quarters into the book, he still hadn't escaped, so I decided to put myself out of the misery that is this book, & escape from it instead. It is very rare that I don't finish a book.

Inside Man
Inside Man
by Philip Bray
Price: 11.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish !, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Inside Man (Paperback)
Total & utter rubbish. This is the worst book that I have ever had the miss-fortune to read about life inside prisons.

Governor
Governor
by William McKee

4.0 out of 5 stars The Maze, never ceases to amaze, 26 Mar 2009
This review is from: Governor (Paperback)
For those of us who are aware of the troubles, & know about the Maze / H Blocks prison, this book gives you more of an idea what it is like to work in here & other prisons in the North of Ireland.

Billy McKee shares his ups & downs', which are mostly down's, while working in these prisons. He shares the stress levels associated with working in the prisons, which are at times, immense.

This book will certainly not do anything positive from a recruitment perspective, but is a good read & if you have ever wondered what it was like working in a prison in the North of Ireland, then read this book.

It's in the Blood: My Life
It's in the Blood: My Life
by Lawrence Dallaglio

5.0 out of 5 stars The gentlemen that is, Lawrence Dallaglio, 11 Feb 2009
Lawrence Dallaglio tells his life story as it is. All his trails & tribulations are in this book, both personal & professional.

If you enjoy reading Sports autobiographies, then I thoroughly recommend this book. Highly enjoyable.

Hell in Barbados: The True Story of a Man Imprisoned in Paradise
Hell in Barbados: The True Story of a Man Imprisoned in Paradise
by Terry Donaldson

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written & well survived, 11 Feb 2009
Terry Donaldson has written this book very well. His experiences are well described & some are, highly unpleasant ones, if you excuse the pun.

I did feel the book faded out in the last few chapters, but considering he is back in sync, that can only be expected.

Ronnie
Ronnie
by Ronnie Wood
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Ronnie (Paperback)
Ronnie takes us all the way through his life. Interesting stories that are well told, funny & insightful. As well as his fellow members in the Stones, you get an idea on the personalities of other rock musicians which Ronnie shares with you which you will also have a chuckle at. A well told interesting & enjoyable read.

No Turning Back
No Turning Back
by Joanne Lees

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth, At Last, 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: No Turning Back (Paperback)
Joanne Lees has, as a previous reviewer has already stated, set the record straight.

The moment Joanne Lees starts to explain the awful events to the Northern Territory state police, you quickly understand why this case was handled so badly. You will read & learn why. You will also get an understanding, a very clear one, what Joanne Lees went through to get her boyfriend's killer brought to justice. The undercurrent of reading through the events is that Joanne Lees is a very mentally strong young women. Some might say that she would have had to have been, yes I agree, but that does not describe what it takes to be one. This book does.

This young lady should be commended for staying true to her boyfriend to the very end, when finally, justice was served. Joanne Lees explains all of this throughout this book, which, I might add, is a very good read.

I enjoyed it from the point of view of learning what exactly the ambiguities were & how they came about. Some people will hold their heads in shame with the way they treated Joanne Lees, others will feel very proud by the way they stuck by this young women. Fortunately for the reader, Joanne Lees explains this & highlights this throughout.

It is also worth noting, that Joanne Lees also explains why she has written this book very early on, & also that of all the books that have been written about the events that occurred, not one author ever interviewed her. This for me, was the point of note that Joanne Lees was 'not cashing in, but is telling the Truth. My cap is tipped to you Joanne Lees.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5