Profile for Adam B. Cooke > Reviews

Content by Adam B. Cooke

Adam B. Cooke "acooke22" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Vitamix Professional 300 Food Processor & Blender 2L (40% Quieter)
Vitamix Professional 300 Food Processor & Blender 2L (40% Quieter)
Offered by Aqualine

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed With This Machine - And I'm Really Consuming More Fruit, 3 Jun. 2016
Just a quick note for now - I'll try and write more later.

The strangest thing keeps happening - I walk in to the kitchen for a snack and instead of reaching for something unhealthy like biscuits I'm picking up the Vitamix jug adding fruit and whizzing up a smoothie instead. It's so incredibly quick and easy to use (and clean up afterwards) with such good results I'm just instinctively eating more fruit. Wonderful!

Acana 2931-1 Airing Cupboard Moth Killer and Lavender Freshener - Purple
Acana 2931-1 Airing Cupboard Moth Killer and Lavender Freshener - Purple
Offered by A1SONIC

1.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to Activate - If You Get This I Suggest You Handle with Great Care and Rubber Gloves, 5 May 2016
I found this very difficult and messy to activate.
You're supposed to hold the unit in your hand and depress the plunger fully with your thumb. The illustration in the instruction leaflet shows how far the plunger is supposed to go.
The only way I could get the plunger all the way in was to push the unit against a hard surface. Eventually I got the plunger in, but got my hands covered in the insecticide (which I assume is hazardous). I've washed my hands three times and not been able to wash the smell off my hands. I hope the insecticide has washed off, at least, and I don't poison myself making my lunch.
I will leave it in place in the airing cupboard now, but I won't buy this again.
If you buy this I suggest you put rubber gloves on before handling it and choose where you activate it where splashes won't matter - not in the airing cupboard, not near your cold tank and not in the kitchen - perhaps also putting it in a plastic bag to contain the mess.

Accuratus KYB500-S35AUBK USB Keypad - Black
Accuratus KYB500-S35AUBK USB Keypad - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful and Versatile - I'm Very Pleased With This, 20 Aug. 2015
Very nice device. Very useful and versatile.
You can lay it out as a custom numeric keypad adding in the extra keys that you want, but aren't on a conventional numeric keypad - e.g. ":" for keying in time values.
Lay it out for telephone and conferencing apps on your PC like Live Meeting - then you can have an actual mute button rather than rummage for the mouse and juggle windows when you have something to say.
With graphics software define buttons for the complex key codes you would use. Think about having this keypad under your left hand while your mouse is under your right (if you're right handed).
It's also easy to set up shortcuts so that you can switch between the different layouts you want to use it for. Note that the 8 layers in the description work like shift, control, alt, etc so the device doesn't store eight complete layouts – but it does store one layout (with 8 layers) so that you can programme it up on one PC then plug it into another to use.

One handed serving tray
One handed serving tray

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 18 April 2014
This review is from: One handed serving tray
I got this for my mother when she lived in her last house. It was wonderful because it meant she could carry a tray up and down the stairs and have a hand free for the handrail. Since her living room was on the first floor and the kitchen on the ground floor it would have been a real struggle to carry meals between the two otherwise.

Even for an able bodied person it is really useful to be able to carry a tray in one hand and have the other hand free for opening and closing doors, turning lights on and off, etc.

It is plenty strong enough for large pots of tea and crockery even if you might doubt it.
It's not particularly decorative, but it is plain white and is fairly easy on the eye.

Seca 201 Ergonomic Circumference Measuring Tape
Seca 201 Ergonomic Circumference Measuring Tape
Offered by Nightingale Nursing Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal For Measuring Yourself or Others, 18 April 2014
This is a very clever design. It's easy to use on yourself (e.g. measuring your waist) and also for measuring others.
The design means you can't see the result till you take it off so there's less temptation to cheat. Then it holds the result nicely while you write it down. When measuring someone else it's very hassle free and doesn't require your client to hold still while you read the tape.

The tape is double sided so you can use it for measuring around the body on one side and on the other it's like a conventional tape measure counting from zero.

I would recommend this if you're going to be taking measurements regularly.

Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2TM 2009 Edition
Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2TM 2009 Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars PRINCE2 on Kindle - So much more practical, 18 April 2014
The paperback versions of this book and its predecessor were so big and heavy they stayed at home. Far too heavy to carry about and not really practical to keep at work in a 'hot desking' environment.

Now I have the Kindle version it can come with me everywhere and I expect to find PRINCE2 much more useful as a result.

For me, the primary driver for getting PRINCE2 is for my CV, but actually it is a really sensible framework which chimes nicely with my own way of organising my projects. This book is really useful reference for Themes, Processes, Products, useful check lists, etc.

Bear in mind that this is a reference book for the PRINCE2 framework and, as such, not a great read or book about how to manage projects. I'd recommend getting this if you're PRINCE2 qualified or aim to be.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Product - Very Portable and Very Easy To Use, 15 Dec. 2012
I am very pleased with this.

I bought it so that I could add WiFi to my mother's broadband router, but it can also be used as a router or a repeater.

It's tiny - no wider than an iPhone and only about twice as deep. Very easy to slip into a pocket or bag. It uses a standard RJ45 lead (supplied) and a standard USB mains adaptor (also supplied) so if you want to travel light you might already be carrying these for something else and you can, of course, power this from your laptop USB ports.

It worked straight out of the box. It was secure right out of the box and ready to use right away. However, you may need a magnifying glass to read the default SSID and password from the label on the back. You should reconfigure these to your own preference, of course.

The instruction sheet that came with it was clear and easy to follow, but also has small print (perhaps it's my eyes).

Western Digital Elements 500GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Black
Western Digital Elements 500GB Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Practical, 9 Nov. 2010
These hard drives are so easy to use and convenient that I have several of them and I use them mostly for backing up.
The fact they don't need a power cord or power adaptor (getting their power through the USB lead) makes them so, so easy to use - and the only good back up strategy is the one you actually keep to. Just plug it in, copy the files across and then put the drive somewhere safe. No problems about keeping the power adaptor safe or finding another mains outlet to plug it into.
It's as easy to use as a giant memory stick and it's a nice simple design.

Taking Minutes of Meetings (Creating Success)
Taking Minutes of Meetings (Creating Success)
by Joanna Gutmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended Reading, 9 Nov. 2010
I have been taking minutes for years, but I was concerned that I had picked up bad habits and been confused by how other people prepare minutes.
This book is succinct and practical. It's only a small book so it doesn't take long to read cover to cover. It's also designed so that you can dip in and out of it and use for reference as there are plenty of cross references.
It tells you all you need to know with examples of different styles how minutes should look.
In fact, it provides guidance for all the organising required to set up a meeting in the first place too.
The author has thought of everthing and there is no unnecessary waffle.
I am thinking of buying more books in this series as this one has turned out so well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Bought It Twice, 9 Nov. 2010
Actually this is my second one. I lost the first one somehow and had to buy it again, but I chose this exact same model again.
It is a very nice little machine - very small and portable. Easily fits in the pocket. I have attached a lanyard to this one to make it less easy to lose.
Very easy to use. Works very well and plugs into the PC and makes it really easy to transfer files across. It comes with a very short lead for connecting to the computer - ideal for a laptop, but potentially awkward if you have a desktop machine with the USB jacks at the back. Great sound quality.
It's great for making notes of ideas that occur to you as you're walking along the street and good for keeping a diary. It's also very easy for keeping a sleep diary because you can feel the buttons in the dark and every recording is time stamped so you don't need to look at the clock.
Definitely recommended.