Profile for O. Doyle > Reviews

Content by O. Doyle

O. Doyle "celticshedevil" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Alone: The Girl in the Box, Book 1
Alone: The Girl in the Box, Book 1
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 25 Mar 2014
I loved every page of this book. It had thrills, chills and loads of 'whoa...didn't see that coming'. A recipe for success and I can't wait for the next instalment. I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who likes a good thriller mixed with a bit of X-Men type sci-fi.

#3
#3
Price: 4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new album, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: #3 (Audio CD)
Hall of Fame featuring Will.i.am sets the tone for the Scripts new album. If you loved Hall of Fame then prepare for a treat of fantastic songs. I love all the songs on the album but find myself repeating 'If you could see me now' over and over. I'm a bit confused by the bad reviews this album has received as I think it's totally top notch.

Christmas
Christmas
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 8.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Buble at his best, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Christmas (Audio CD)
Want to get in the Christmas mood? Like Sinatra? Like Michael Buble? Then this is the only Christmas album you'll ever need. The tone of the album reminds me of Sinatra but in true Buble fashion. I love all the songs but my 4-yr olds favourite tune has to be Jingle Bells and we've listened to it everyday since the CD went in the car on Dec 1. A brilliant album.

Classic Christmas
Classic Christmas
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album of classic Christmas songs, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Classic Christmas (Audio CD)
Joe McElderry has the perfect voice for the songs on this album. If you're looking for a beautiful rendition of some classic Christmas songs then I'd thoroughly recommend this album.

Memoirs are Made of This (Little Black Dress)
Memoirs are Made of This (Little Black Dress)
by Swan Adamson
Price: 16.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn....., 8 Sep 2008
I only read this book as it came as a two-pack with My Three Husbands and I felt I should give Swan Adamson a chance to redeem herself after the disaster that was My Three Husbands.

While I hated everything about Venus in My Three Husbands I found myself on new ground in Memoirs are Made of this and didn't so much hate Venus this time round as just dislike her immensely. That was progress I guess.

Yet again I find myself rehashing my feelings for this book which are the same as my feelings for My Three Husbands - the story wasn't funny, it wasn't engaging and the only characters I was even remotely interested in were Venus Dad and faux-pa.

I have to say it again I'm afraid....do yourself a favour....find another book and don't even waste your time let alone your money reading this utter tosh!

My Three Husbands
My Three Husbands
by Swan Adamson

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad on so many levels, 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: My Three Husbands (Paperback)
I hate to relegate a book into the `rubbish beyond belief' shelf but if ever a book need to be put on that shelf `My Three Husbands' does. I'm actually annoyed I had to pay anything to read this book as it's so bad it could actually be given away as the booby prize in a draw.

I very rarely read a book where the main character doesn't eventually show some redeeming features that make me like him/her. Venus Gilroy however managed to make me dislike her from page 1 and continue until the bitter (and dragged out beyond belief) end. The only way to describe her is as a spoilt air-head who is so immature that Bart Simpson looks like a grown-up next to her. The story wasn't funny, it wasn't engaging and the only characters I was even remotely interested in were Venus Dad and faux-pa.

Do yourself a favour....find another book and don't even waste your time let alone your money reading this utter tosh! Amazon, please let us give no stars for reviews because if ever a book deserved no stars this one does!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2009 9:49 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointing, 8 Sep 2008
For me the X-files represented a genre of aliens and conspiracies and I have to admit I was expecting something x-file-ey about "I want to believe". Instead I got a story where Mulder and Scully come out of hiding to work on a case where the FBI are using a psychic criminal priest to help locate a missing agent and track down a potential serial killer. This movie's only link to the X-files of old was in the title and with the inclusion of Mulder & Scully.

The script was flat and lifeless, the acting uninspired and the plot was long and dragged out in my opinion. And the climax (and I use the term loosely) was anything but exciting. If anything I'd rate this movie among the worst episodes of the show. The whole movie felt like an episode that had been blown out to a 2 hour run time.

If you enjoyed "The X-Files" you will not enjoy "I Want to Believe". That is a simple fact.

Vantage Point [DVD] [2008]
Vantage Point [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Just when you think you've got it all figued out.....you don't., 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: Vantage Point [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
The premise of Vantage Point revolves around the assassination of the US president while attending a counter-terrorism summit in Spain. The story is told from eight viewpoints. I have to admit that I was skeptical at how this movie could hold my attention by switching back over and over again and basically retelling a story we'd already been told but it quickly became obvious that the story we'd been told was just a snippet at what was really going on. I quickly got drawn into the whole groundhog-experience fairly quickly and by the time we were at the fourth vantage point I was fascinated by how all the stories related with each other and how the story would end up.

Vantage Point promises a good puzzle, suspense and intense action. It delivers on all accounts. This plot has twists and turns and half way through you think you've got it all figured out....trust me....you haven't got a clue.
Seeing all the plot threads converge in such a convincing matter was nice, as was the final action scene, which seems like it was plucked right out of one of the Bourne films. Add some great acting from Dennis Quaid and Forrest Whittaker and you've got yourself a really good action thriller. As skeptical as I was when I started watching Vantage Point I ended up more than a little impressed as it proved itself to be a convincing, engrossing action thriller.

Rambo [DVD] [2007]
Rambo [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 2.73

5.0 out of 5 stars How action movies should be made, 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: Rambo [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
In Thailand, John Rambo is living peacefully capturing snakes and transporting people and cargo in an old boat. When he transports a group of Christian Aid Workers into war-torn Burma he gets more than he bargained for. Rambo soon finds himself joining a group of mercenaries to rescue the Christian Aid workers who are captured by the Burmese army.

I have to admit that I didn't expect Rambo to be any more than a cheesy tribute to the eighties by a guy desperate to relive past glory. I stand corrected. This is a Rambo that holds up when compared with the original "First Blood". Given its genre, Rambo is a masterpiece. The story is simple but solid, the action scenes are unparalleled and more intense than many action movies of today put together. The level of brutality and gore will shock and fascinate, and no doubt cause some level of controversy. But Stallone proves himself to be an excellent director, as well as in excellent shape for his age. Other than that it is a full blooded action movie that will strap you to your seat for whole 95 minutes!

They certainly don't make them like they used to.

In The Valley Of Elah [DVD] [2008]
In The Valley Of Elah [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Charlize Theron
Price: 3.80

4.0 out of 5 stars The effects of war, 5 Sep 2008
Hank Deerfield (played by Tommy Lee Jones) is a retired veteran and military police officer searching for his son who has gone AWOL. Detective Emily Sanders (Charlize Theron) becomes interested in the case and starts helping Hank outside of her job. When Hank's son's body is found, the search suddenly turns into a search for the murderer.

Tommy Lee Jones gives one of his best performances as a relentless, humourless driven father, who has not been the best father, but doesn't rest until he finds the closure he desperately needs on the matter of the murder of his son.

Susan Sarandon was totally underused in the part of Hanks wife, but the little we are shown of her is riveting.

Charlize Theron plays down her beauty and gives what we've come to expect from her - a great performance.

But "In the Valley of Elah" isn't an action packed, fast paced search for a killer. Instead it's a deep and meaningful look at the effect that the war in Iraq is having on the soldiers it sends back home. In that regard it's not for everyone. Its not an easy film to watch, and perhaps it shouldn't be. Although it works as a mystery, the movie is much more a character drama. Paul Haggis has followed his Oscar winner "Crash" with another film similar in tone. Both are concerned with violence and humanity, but "Elah" does not use any of its characters as "Crash" seemed to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20