Profile for Ms. Louise Griffiths > Reviews

Content by Ms. Louise Gri...

Ms. Louise Griffiths (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fifty Shades of Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected, 23 July 2012
I was expecting to fall in love with Mr Grey but I found him annoying, old fashioned and predictable. The sex got boring after the first few scenes and the female character was so weak and 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'-like that she put me off too! I have read quite a lot of erotic fiction and most of it was better than this. Also, it really felt like Twilight fan-fiction which is basically what it was before she decided to cash in on the erotica market rather than the teen vampire market. I did buy all 3 books but I doubt I'll bother reading the next ones.

Killing Cupid
Killing Cupid

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read but predictable, 23 July 2012
This review is from: Killing Cupid (Kindle Edition)
I found this very easy to read and finished it very quickly. I can't say that I found it as amazing as the reviews suggest. It was an interesting concept but this was revealed very early on and I could predict how it was going to end almost as soon as the story started to turn. I would definitely try another book if I came across it but I wouldn't search it out.

Dinner at Mine
Dinner at Mine
by Chris Smyth

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Dinner at Mine (Paperback)
This was recommended by a friend and I wasn't disappointed! The characters are all well developed and interesting in their own way. Some you love and others you hate. There are some hilarious bits and some tense moments but the comedic theme runs through the whole book and makes for a great page turner! Recommended!

The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
The Meat Fix: How a Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me
by John Nicholson

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new but each to their own!, 25 Feb 2012
I didn't intend to write such a negative review but every chapter I read just got worse and worse. I don't have anything against low-carb diets or the author for that matter, I just felt the need to review it so that people who maybe have similar knowledge to me don't pick it up and think it's going to offer something new.

For a journalist John Nicholson doesn't seem to be very good at research. Had I been in his position I think I would have managed to sort myself out well before the 26 year mark. In fact, I have done this and not by following what I read from the media but by doing my research online. There's no point asking doctors about IBS because it's a modern phenomenon and I'm not surprised that nobody knew what it was! There is no cure for IBS there's just management and this is different for everybody and really is a process of trying one thing then another then another until you get the right system in place. This method is disparaged by John as apparently he expects doctors to be magicians who can see exactly what's wrong and prescribe the one magic potion that will work for you. Unfortunately this isn't how it works mainly because we are so individual and there are thousands of medications out there! It seems obvious to me but apparently not. In fact it's not only doctors who should be magicians but all scientists. Just because 20 years ago we thought eggs were bad for you doesn't mean all science is wrong! We used to thing the earth was the centre of the universe and that it was flat but now we know different. It's called progress. You can't claim that all nutrition/healthy eating information is wrong and should be ignored just because it's changed over the years. Also the media only report what they think is interesting to us so we don't necessarily know what's going on in the world of nutrition because the fad diet side of things tends to take over the whole coverage. Anyone with the internet could find out very easily what John Nicholson took 26 years to discover. I'm only 31 but I've known for years that cholesterol isn't diet based, that my body and brain need fat, that I'm a carnivore so meat is also good and that the Omega 3 and 6 balance is important among many other things that apparently nobody knows about. I don't work in the diet industry and I'm not a medical professional or a nutritionist it's just stuff I've picked up on the way to losing weight.

I also found the writing style really hard to deal with. It's that popular science style of writing that basically says the same thing in a million different ways with only about 5% of the content actually being focused on saying something interesting. He also picks one side of the story. In fact, when he says everyone is an individual, he should take into account that what he's talking about may not work for everyone. There are plenty of happy vegans out there I'm sure (I'm not one of them!!!) I found it really hard to get through and on a number of occasions I felt like throwing it in the bin.

The healthy eating advice he talks about is aimed at people who are overweight often seriously so. John Nicholson wasn't overweight because he rammed loads of processed foods down his neck in front of the television! The NHS aren't particularly worried about offering healthy eating advice to people who are already a healthy weight because their largest concern is the medical problems caused by excess weight. I consider myself to be someone who takes a healthy interest in food and eating well and I have completed a short course in basic nutrition. I've never found that the types of diets he talks about are recommended for the average person. The general suggestion is `everything in moderation' which is the common sense approach. I'd certainly never considered a vegan or vegetarian diet to be the healthiest available especially one that contains such a high level of soya which is basically a very processed food. This book seems to play on the diet industry which he talks about with such distain. People only turn to fad diets and alternatives because they want a quick fix and can't be bothered to go through the dieting process which is actually really really hard! What everyone needs to do is stop expecting the NHS or anyone else for that matter to make us lose weight and take some personal responsibility.

I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone who knows about nutrition and food as you will be disappointed. This book will only inform people who are at the same level of knowledge as the author was before he decided to eat meat.

The reality is that more people are overweight now because they drive or take public transport everywhere, they sit in front of computers either at work or home for too long or in front of the television. This combined with the easy availability of convenience foods makes obesity the obvious path.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 3:02 AM GMT

Kill&Cure (Varcy and Kendrick #1)
Kill&Cure (Varcy and Kendrick #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but quick, 18 Nov 2011
This was enjoyable for what it was, a fast paced and short debut novel with an interesting medical element to it. It is very short too so if you're looking for a holiday read it's perfect. The story was a little confusing towards the end but there were Poirot style chats to overcome that so it all became clear eventually. Very far fetched too but I don't read this type of book because I'm looking for reality!

Sugar & Spice
Sugar & Spice

1.0 out of 5 stars awful, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Sugar & Spice (Kindle Edition)
I just wish I'd read more reviews before buying this book and not wasted my time! It was so frustrating and badly written that by the time I got to the end (a hard struggle) I was so annoyed with the bad writing style, the horrible characters and the ridiculous ending that I didn't really care what happened. I notice that some people say this is well researched, but coming from a background in forensics and fingerprints, the information is generally incorrect or out of context. I know it's a work of fiction but it really presents itself as fiction based on fact which it certainly isn't. I read another review that said it's like a regurgitated Forensics 101 text book and that is the feeling I got too, just cut and paste from the text book with no practical application. Whatever research that the author has done appears to be from reading the Daily Mail. I'm sure some people really enjoyed it and that's great but I wasn't one of them and it definitely is not my cup of tea. I read a huge amount of crime thriller type books and enjoy most of them. It's not often I feel compelled to write a review like this but I was really disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2011 6:41 PM GMT

Hollywood Scandals (Hollywood Headlines Mysteries #1)
Hollywood Scandals (Hollywood Headlines Mysteries #1)

4.0 out of 5 stars recommended, 7 Nov 2011
I love this author. Although I often read her books in a couple of days those days are very well spent! She has quite a relaxed style but still manages to develop the characters and plot with a sideline of comedy and romance. I've read a few and I'll definitely get the rest!

Fame
Fame

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect holiday read!, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Fame (Kindle Edition)
I do love a good bonkbuster and this didn't disappoint! The characters were well thought out and the storylines random and hilarious. I will definitely pick up another by the same author.

Naked in Knightsbridge
Naked in Knightsbridge

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay, 7 Nov 2011
I read this on holiday and that was the best place for it. There was only one likeable character and it wasn't Jools. It was all a bit far fetched and random but was okay for the price!

Miracle on Regent Street
Miracle on Regent Street

3.0 out of 5 stars predictable but enjoyable, 7 Nov 2011
I found this really easy to read, the story was pleasant and the characters likeable. It was nice to get lost in her world for a few days but ultimately the ending was predictable and it followed the same lines as the usual chic lit fair. It's a great book in the run up to Christmas and is a perfect holiday/long weekend break read!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3