Profile for Leicestershire Reader > Reviews

Content by Leicestershire...

Leicestershire Reader (England)

Page: 1 | 2
PINK OWL TRIO with Pink Flowers & Plain Green Leaves. Large Childrens Wall Stickers for Girls Bedroom or Childrens Playroom (Kids Stickarounds)
Offered by Rainbow Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy, 20 Mar. 2014
Unlike some of the negative reviews posted here, i've been pleased with this product. The stickers do have a particular sheen which isn't evident from the photo, but it's not unpleasant and makes them show up well. They're easy to apply and we haven't had any problems with them coming off again. They look great. My first attempt with wall stickers and I'd definitely use them again for a quick, easy and effective room makeover.

Popsicle PINK Voile Bed Canopie- (CTB066290)
Popsicle PINK Voile Bed Canopie- (CTB066290)
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pink, 1 Mar. 2014
I bought this item as part of a new bedroom scheme to help my daughter settle in to our new house. I'm initially really disappointed as it isn't pink. I would call this mauve. With our theme having hot pink accents, this is just going to clash and look out of place. Any actual shade of pink would have been fine, but this isn't pink, so I feel it's misdescribed. The sequins do look pink and well-attached. I've not hung it, so can't comment on that aspect.

A168 Padded Halter Neck One Piece Swimsuit Swimwear Tankini / UK 6, 8, 10, 12
A168 Padded Halter Neck One Piece Swimsuit Swimwear Tankini / UK 6, 8, 10, 12
Offered by A168
Price: £14.99 - £16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but long, 19 May 2013
I really like this swimsuit, but it definitely is a one-piece not a tankini. This is a slight shame if, like me, you're not that tall. I'm 5'3 and the body length in the swimsuit is too long for me really. I can pull the spare fabric up round my middle so it's not seen, but then it's a wee bit awkward getting the shorts part to sit so that they show beneath the top, which is how it's meant to look. It's not a major issue, but I am going to resort to sewing up the "hem" a little to try to rectify this. And it remains to be seen what will happen to the hitched up shorts once the swimsuit is wet...

If you're 5'5 or more, I'd say this swimsuit would be perfect. It really is pretty and it's nice that it's a bit different.

Crayola Spinaroo Rotating Art Wheel
Crayola Spinaroo Rotating Art Wheel

4.0 out of 5 stars lotsa fun, 28 Dec. 2012
My 4 year old daughter is thoroughly enjoying making spiral pictures with this toy. Granted it's totally mean of Crayola not to provide more than 5 circular sheets with the kit, but replacement packs are available on amazon and I'll probably invest as I can see her getting hours of enjoyment from this. Whilst I have been cutting circles for her, it is annoying that you can't get 2 out of a piece of A4.

Whilst I think this product is great, I would certainly not recommend buying it at the current amazon price of £18.99. That's ridiculous. I found it on offer elsewhere for £7.80 and thought that was a decent bargain, but I wouldn't pay more than £10 personally.

Morphy Richards Accents One Cup 43931 Hot Water Dispenser, Black
Morphy Richards Accents One Cup 43931 Hot Water Dispenser, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars pleased as punch, 28 Dec. 2012
Pleased with this product. Bought because I wanted a way of getting an instant cup of tea in bed in the morning, as relying on my husband to treat me to one is unreliable! I looked at traditional teasmades but they are huge and come with aspects I don't need, such as clocks, alarms, lights etc... This is perfect and does the job. I lean over, pour in the water, press the button and have a cuppa in seconds. I've had no problem at all with plasticy tastes but I did flush it through 3 times before use as recommended plus run it once with baking soda in the water too. Also, I do put my water in a little jug overnight, before pouring it in when I need it, which means water is not sitting in the reservoir overnight accumulating any plastic taste which must help. My only criticism is that I do have to sit up and open my eyes properly to do this rather than the "roll over and flick switch" idea I had in my dreams! That and the fact my 4 year old likes to operate it before I'm actually ready to have my drink! If you're a child-free zone, this product will be perfect! I recommend it.

Tellatale Hand Puppet Theatre and Shop
Tellatale Hand Puppet Theatre and Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for budding storytellers and well made too!, 8 Jun. 2012
This is an excellent toy for developing a child's creativity, imagination, language skills and pre-reading/writing play.
The instructions for putting it up first time aren't that clear, but after you've done this once, it's a doddle to repeat the exercise. As my daughter's bedroom is small, I do appreciate the flexibility of being able to put this toy back in its box easily in order to store it under the bed when not in use.

The wood is lovely and the pieces feel like quality items, although it is a shame that the dowels get caught on the "silky" material each time you insert them and so these are unavoidably fraying, not from rough use but simply from being put up and taken down again by me. That's a minor moan though and I'm sure this toy will stand the test of time overall.
Whilst sturdy and well made, I do know what was meant by the reviewer who complained that the toy cannot be picked up and moved. It's true that if you try to lift the theatre to move it, the pieces are not wedged in firmly enough to stay put. This was a tad annoying the first few times it happened, but now I know this, as does my daughter, we "shuffle" it if it needs moving a little and it really isn't that big a deal. After all, a puppet theatre is not really designed as a toy that goes on the move during play; once you put it up, the action starts and it doesn't really need to go anywhere! My daughter loves hiding behind the puppeteers curtain and preparing for the show.

It's a shame it doesn't come with a couple of puppets to get going with, because having to buy these separately does bump up the overall cost of the toy somewhat.

I must confess, we've never got round to using it as a shop and I'm not entirely sure where you'd put the groceries or till if you did, as the shelf doesn't really seem big enough or flat enough to use for this purpose. Maybe when in table top position, with the bottom half not used, shop products could be spread on the table to allow play in this mode too. However, I personally feel there is sufficient play value in this item as a puppet theatre alone, not to be worried about whether we will ever use the shop side, which is just a fun bonus.

Overall I love this item. It's a good quality, nice looking, plush toy, with loads of educational and play value. I wish I'd had one when I was a kid!

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this second novel by Niffenegger. Her writing is sophisticated and creates a beautiful, intense experience for the reader. Everything about this novel is carefully placed, both words, images and the actions of the characters. (Although the author's misuse of was/were I did find slightly aggravating!) Whilst I did see the two main twists coming long before they were formally revealed to the reader, this did not spoil my enjoyment of the novel and there is enough here to warrant a second read. My only criticism - I was disappointed with how things ended for Valentina. It's a testament to how well Niffenegger encourages the reader to empathise with her characters that I did feel what happened to be achingly, awfully cruel.

Galt New Baby Puzzles - Farm
Galt New Baby Puzzles - Farm

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved by my daughter - but what's with the weird colours?, 8 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Galt New Baby Puzzles - Farm (Toy)
I bought this for my daughter's first birthday, although I was a little dubious about having the animals in non-realistic colours. (Anyone seens a yellow and blue goat lately?!) It has gone down a storm. At first, the enjoyment was in opening the box and taking out the pieces, later in putting them back in again. She often carries the box around to different rooms as well, so I think the carry handle on the box is a lovely addition. Now she's 17 months and in the last month or so has got the idea of matching the animal pieces beautifully. She knows the animal names and will match up all the animals correctly, as instructed, within 20 seconds or so. Brilliant. Next step is to develop just a little more patience so that she can fit the pieces in securely. I'm considering buying another in the Galt series for Christmas. To the person who queried durability on the transport set, our pieces still look brandnew and yet they are played with EVERY day, so I don't think that's a problem at all. But I do still wonder about the choice of animal colours ...

40, 001 Best Baby Names
40, 001 Best Baby Names
by Diane Stafford

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous book, 20 May 2008
Unfortunately this is a very Americanised book with zillions of names in it that in my opinion are non-names, if you see what I mean. Things like Steel (ths is a bit of metal as far as I'm concerned), Cowboy (I mean, would you really?!!), Day (er ...) Bash (aaggghhh, I'm not giving birth to a comic-strip character!!) etc etc etc.... It might give you a laugh for a few minutes, but I don't think it'll give you a baby name.

Babies' Names
Babies' Names
by Patrick Hanks

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent book, well priced, 20 May 2008
This review is from: Babies' Names (Paperback)
I bought two baby name books and this (the cheaper one) was infinately better. It contains a good range of sensible names, including a large proportion of Celtic and Gaelic derivation. There is a clear meaning and/or origin given and because it's pocket-sized, it doesn't take an age to look through.

Page: 1 | 2