Profile for Rachel Dunn > Reviews

Content by Rachel Dunn

Rachel Dunn "Rachel" (UK)

Thermos Premium Series Drinks Bottle - 470 ml, Black
Thermos Premium Series Drinks Bottle - 470 ml, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Used to be good, but now threads in cap have broken, so it's useless., 19 Dec. 2015
This was good up until a week or so ago. After about a year of occasional use, the threads in the cap are breaking, so it leaks and doesn't keep liquid hot anymore. The threads are made of quite a brittle plastic, whereas I bought this one a few months ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004DGJLXE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage and the threads are softer plastic which I think is better. It did used to keep liquid scalding hot as does my newer one! I usually add some cold to mine when I make it up, otherwise it's too hot to drink, even many hours later.

21 Songs in 6 Days: Learn to Play Ukulele the Easy Way: Ukulele Songbook (Learn Ukulele the Easy Way)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a stand alone product., 31 July 2014
It's worth knowing that this book cannot be used as a stand alone product. You have to access the online video's to use it. This would've been fine other than having to wait for these links to be sent through by email. On signing up for the online resources using the code in the book, you get sent the 'getting started' email, but not 'day 1', which I assume will be sent tomorrow, so haven't been able to start the course proper yet. This is a bit disappointing when you've got the bit between your teeth and want to get started. You can read through the blurb for day 1, but because there is no music (conventional or otherwise) there is no way, even for a musician, to just pick up and play without the tuition videos.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 2:05 AM BST

How To Play Ukulele: A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners
How To Play Ukulele: A Complete Guide for Absolute Beginners

3.0 out of 5 stars Very difficult to view tablature on Kindle., 31 July 2014
The 3 star rating is not down to content, but because of bad formatting for Kindle. Kindle screens are a lot smaller than the paperback book this is designed for - I know, an obvious comment. However, although obvious, it doesn't seem to have been taken into consideration when formatting this book for Kindle. The ABSOLUTE WORST example of this is the tablature, which is very tiny even on my PC, which is considerably bigger than my kindle screen. This could be easily rectified if the TAB had been enlarged to fit the whole screen, but it only takes up a 3rd of the screen, making it very small. Text on a kindle can be enlarged, but there is no function for zooming things in a picture format.

The book itself is a good, fairly standard learning book. It does use traditional music notation, alongside TAB. However, you don't necessarily need to understand the music to play the TAB. In fact, as someone who reads music, I tried to ignore it, as I need to learn the TAB and how to play Ukulele, not how to read music. However, I did find it useful for songs I didn't know, as it enabled me to check I was playing it correctly.

I think someone who doesn't read music would still be able to use this book using the tablature alone.

It starts by teaching simple tunes, then progresses to chords with strumming patterns, then finger-picking, scales going higher up the fretboard, duets and bar chords. It also has lots of useful info along the way, including chord charts at the back of the book.

Fireman Sam - Sam's Greatest Rescues [DVD] [2011]
Fireman Sam - Sam's Greatest Rescues [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Fireman Sam
Offered by Leisurezone

3.0 out of 5 stars Product description is lacking, 10 Jan. 2014
Fireman Sam - Greatest Rescues

This DVD has a release date of 2011 and the picture on the front is of the new Sam, which implies that what your getting is over 3 hours of new fireman sam. The only indication that this may not be the case is the small tag on the box front which says "20 adventures including: Sam's first episode". However, there is no further detail.

For your information, the DVD contains:

7 really old episodes

17. Sausages vs Shrimps
18. Flood's Flood
19. Model Plane
20. Norman's Ark

I didn't think any of this would matter to my 2.5 yr old, but he says he doesn't like Christmas fireman sam (i.e. the one he had for Christmas!) However, when I forwarded it to the old (but not really old) he did watch an episode, but then said 'don't like old fireman sam' Fortunately, there are 10 episodes to keep him happy!

So, in conclusion, it's fine, but it would be easier if the descriptions were really clear, so you know what you're getting. Even if you bought it in a shop you wouldn't know, as no mention on the back at all :(

Stories for 3 Year Olds (Young Storytime)
Stories for 3 Year Olds (Young Storytime)

4.0 out of 5 stars So many typo's/errors, 18 Dec. 2013
I actually really like these stories! They cover a lot of topics that children of this age group relate to and my little boy was engrossed the whole time. However, reading was made much more difficult as I tried to work out what certain words were supposed to say! Surely a published book would need to be proof-read? It also means I can't use it as a reading book for my older child, who is just starting to enjoy reading to his little brother :(

50 plastic cake pop sticks white
50 plastic cake pop sticks white
Offered by P A Sugarcraft

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't use for cookie pops!, 13 Aug. 2012
As ordinary lolly sticks these would be great, but the description states they are ideal for cake pops,cookies and sweets. However, cookie pops need to be baked with the stick in and these plastic sticks will curl. Very pretty, but not the desired effect.

HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-one Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Wireless, e-Print)
HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-one Printer (Print, Scan, Copy, Wireless, e-Print)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Printer, 14 July 2012
My husband and I bought this printer last week. It was quick and easy to set up and prints well. I have used all functions - scan, copy, print, eprint and apps. It prints really well, copies quickly and I've had no issues with it at all thus far. We haven't used it for photo's yet nor even much colour printing, so I can't comment on the quality there. The only small thing is that when I accessed the hp website to look at further apps it would only allow access to a few of them, which seems odd when it's a brand new printer and should therefore be up to date enough to use all of them?? However, being that I didn't purchase it for this capability I don't think it's bad enough to deduct a star from what otherwise is a fantastic machine, which is making life a lot easier.

Nickelodeon Fit (Wii)
Nickelodeon Fit (Wii)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my 3 year old boy, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Nickelodeon Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
My 3 year old loves this game and it's nice to find something on the wii that he can do independently as Wii fit is a bit beyond him as are many other games we have. The controls are so simple that he can't be bothered to wait for the explanation screen before the game begins, he just goes straight to the game and if there is a problem, then a little man comes up in the corner of the screen and acts out the movement needed. We even took it to play with his older cousins and they still enjoyed it (in fact the eldest(9) was found playing it alone after everyone else had gone off to do something else!) Having said that, I think there was a little of the novelty factor about that and that older children would get bored quite quickly.

Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD]
Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD]
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Your not going to break a sweat!, 3 Nov. 2007
This review is from: Pilates In Pregnancy [DVD] (DVD)
I have only used the part of the DVD for later pregnancy, so I can't speak for the early or post pregnancy sections, but I really enjoyed the section for my stage. The DVD is broken into small sections for each exercise giving plenty of time for adjusting your position between each one. It is very relaxing, however I did find the stretches sufficiently challenging (I wouldn't say I've mastered them yet) as they require huge amounts of control to do them correctly. That said, I now feel (even after doing the later pregnancy program once and with limited control) that I have benefited, have had a good stretch and am more aware of my posture.

NB: If you are looking for something that's going to get your heart rate up, this is not it. I am not exactly what you'd call fit and I didn't break a sweat, feel the pound of my heart or get even slightly out of breath. In fact, it's all about controlling your breathing.

However, this DVD is excellent if you want to gain real control over your muscles to help you carry your baby sensibly and to prepare for labour.