Profile for Mr Mushroom > Reviews

Content by Mr Mushroom

Mr Mushroom "Mystical Shaman Tea" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Cabin In The Woods [DVD]
The Cabin In The Woods [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: 5.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly Awful, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Cabin In The Woods [DVD] (DVD)
This has to be one of the worst film I've ever seen. Story terrible, acting weak and attempt at trying to be intelligent and original = EPIC fail! To be honest, can't even be bothered to finish this review.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 24, 2013 8:05 PM BST

Grave Encounters [DVD]
Grave Encounters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Rogerson
Price: 5.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Superficial Rubbish, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
One of the worst 'horror' films I have seen: lazy script, bad acting and every cliche chucked in to try and shield the poor film making. Swearing and screaming make a poor substitute for dialogue; in all honesty, the story is pathetic... I can't even be bothered to continue writing this review. The ending was perhaps the weakest in living memory and after ejecting this piece of cheap unintelligent nonsense I chucked it out of my window.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2013 2:08 AM GMT

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness:the Life of John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester
Price: 3.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Massive Sweeping Assumptions, 25 April 2012
I have only read part of the book in Amazon's preview window and I must say that I don't think I've come across so many humongous assumptions in my life! The author seems to claim beyond all doubt knowledge of Rochester's death but can provide no real evidence to corroborate the countless assertions peppered throughout the pages. Reads like an undergrad essay, no wonder it's so cheap!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2014 2:30 PM BST

Orvieto
Orvieto
Price: 12.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Stuff, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: Orvieto (Audio CD)
This really is wonderful live jazz. It's worth buying for 'Jitterbug Waltz' alone. The technical prowess and musical 'telepathy' between these two masters is, quite simply, sublime. I heartily recommend you buy this little gem and put in on on a Friday night after a hard day's work whilst drinking a lovely glass of red wine. You won't be disappointed.

The Way of the Dolphin
The Way of the Dolphin
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Way of the Dolphin (Audio CD)
Now I don't usually do 'New Age' relaxation CDs for obvious reasons but I remember a female friend giving this album back in the early nineties and it has been with me ever since. Back in the heady rave days of the 90s this saved my soul in the wee small loneliness of the comedown. Now I am older and the comedowns are no more it has become an album I play for my meditation and before I go to sleep. Stunning.

The Smile Sessions
The Smile Sessions
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars What an achievement (and what a strange but beautiful achievement!), 31 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Smile Sessions (Audio CD)
I agree with the last reviewer that this really is one of the most remarkable and in-depth explorations of LSD-fueled music ever. Personally, I think it encapsulates the late '60s and the sense of creative freedom that prevailed during that halcyon time. In terms of the music, I don't really know where to begin as this is unlike any other album I've ever heard. It is stunningly beautiful in places as you'd expect from any record associated with Brian Wilson, it is highly eccentric (you can almost feel the LSD pulsating in the music), at times it is extremely eerie, playful and wistful. Basically I get the vibe that this album is not so much a 'teenage symphony to God' but more like a kaleidoscope musical cry for help from a desperately sad Brian Wilson who during this album completely lost touch with reality; I can't think of too many albums that musically chronicle a man's mental breakdown, besides those by Syd Barrett or Pete Green. It's highly unfortunate for the composer but what a musical journey it offers the listener!

I agree with what Brian says that this really is ahead of its time and was way too alternate even for back then. This type of creativity could only be fully appreciated by today's culture of anything goes (postmodernism). I'm not even going to make comparisons with Pet Sounds as that is meaningless when dealing with a creative exposition of this type, suffice to say that it is not easy listening BUT essential listening. It's the type of art work that grows on you each time of listening. It is definitely as important a musical statement as Pepper and will no doubt go down in the music history books as an extraordinary musical offering from a genius who, although whilst writing the music went completely mad and lost interest in life, eventually came back to tell us all of the dark journey. Was it a price worth paying? I would say definitely!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2013 9:13 AM BST

Algebra: Basic Algebra Explained (Studymates in Focus)
Algebra: Basic Algebra Explained (Studymates in Focus)
by Graham Lawlor
Price: 9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book BUT there are a few mistakes, 28 Sep 2011
This book is a great informal way to 'dip' into algebra if you are thinking of revisiting maths after a long hiatus. I used it as a 'warm-up' before starting my OU A level and found it very insightful. HOWEVER, as the previous reviewer stated, there ARE several mistakes some of which I found in the straight-line graph section, this isn't really justifiable but, alas, it does happen when authors are meeting tight publishing deadlines. However, Mr Lawler on the whole writes clearly and concisely and is obviously a very talented Mathematician; I especially enjoyed his section covering bisections and iterations. It is a fascinating taster of Higher mathematics which will no doubt prove accessible for those daunted at the prospect of studying at this level.

Rossini: 6 String Sonatas/Donizetti/Cherubini/Bellini
Rossini: 6 String Sonatas/Donizetti/Cherubini/Bellini
Price: 9.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Early 19th Century String Sonatas, 28 July 2011
I'm not sure what the previous reviewer means by his pretentious statement that this is "first rate second rate music", if this isn't first rate then I'm not sure what is. The production is fantastic, the compositional craft wonderful in its mellifluous flowing tapestry. Great music to drift off to during a hazy summer's day reading in the garden.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2012 8:18 PM BST

Today! / Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Today! / Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
Price: 8.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Brian starts breaking free from the Mike Love "formula", 10 July 2011
Apart from two or three awful and cheesy party type fillers on here, "I'm Bugged" & "Amusement Park USA" etc (which were probably demanded by Mike Love so as to dilute what he saw as the drug fueled creativity of Brian emerging as the sole talent) this is a seminal release of Brian maturing genius. If you want to find the developing baroque eccentricity of Brian's compositional style then having a copy of these two albums are a must. Highlights include "Let Him Run Wild", California Girls" and "Your So God To Me" including countless others.

What I simply cannot understand from other reviewers is why they failed to mention "Let Him Run Wild" which, for me anyway, is an absolutely astonishing '60s psychedelic masterpiece very foretelling of "Pet Sounds"

Anyway, this is my favourite album coupled with "Pet Sounds" with which to drive through the Devon lanes on the way to the beach. Buy it!

The Last Exorcism [DVD]
The Last Exorcism [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ashley Bell
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 4.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh deary, deary me., 27 Dec 2010
This review is from: The Last Exorcism [DVD] (DVD)
This film is laughable not only in the concept behind the film but also in the story-line which is about as original as a covers band. First, documentaries/dramas just simply don't work as they are not plausible....as if you would film going into a strangers house to watch the family go crazy for an hour and a half with a camcorder without phoning police etc-it makes the film impossible to take seriously straight off???!!! And secondly the acting is atrocious...BUT why are all the newspapers giving this tripe 4/5 stars??? Compared to "The Exorcist" this is cheap trash. The ending is awful,like something out of a corny hammer horror. Stay away from this rubbish.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4