Profile for John P. Yates > Reviews

Content by John P. Yates

John P. Yates (Rotherham, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Jaxville Custom Demon Bass Guitar
Jaxville Custom Demon Bass Guitar

2.0 out of 5 stars Jaxville bass guitar, 30 April 2016
I bought this bass guitar as an entry level instrument as I had always wanted to play bass guitar, and whilst I still have a certain nostalgia for this guitar I feel I must warn other buyers. Firstly the guitar is heavy, I mean really heavy, compared to other lower priced Basses out there you really do feel the weight of this. Secondly the neck is a little too wide, after some months of learning on this bass I took the plunge and bought myself a Ibanez SdGr bass and the difference was amazing. My playing came on leaps and bounds after playing the lighter, sleeker Ibanez. Thirdly the guitar is long and quite cumbersome, so if this is being bought for a child or young teenager to learn the will find it more of a challenge to learn on. I recently took this to cash converters to sell and they offered me £10 for it and it is in mint condition, so that gives you an idea of its standing in the music world. As I said I do feel nostalgia for it and do occasionally play it but would have got to the skill I have now a lot quicker with a better guitar!

Jaxvile Custom Skulls Bass Guitar
Jaxvile Custom Skulls Bass Guitar

2.0 out of 5 stars Jaxvile bass guitar, 30 April 2016

2001 Maniacs  [2005] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
2001 Maniacs [2005] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]

4.0 out of 5 stars This Lionsgate blu ray is region free!, 3 Mar. 2016
Not so much a review, more just a heads up. Although it says this us import 2001 maniacs is region A only I can confirm it does play on UK players. This film itself is a great tribute Herschell Gordon Lewis' original striking a perfect balance of comedy and horror. It's not ever going to be considered a classic but is fun enough and it's heart is in the right place....on a plate!

Seconds (1966) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)
Seconds (1966) [Masters of Cinema] Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD)
Dvd ~ Rock Hudson
Offered by bestmediagroup

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone for seconds, 25 Aug. 2015
I remember seeing this movie on TV with my father years ago when I was about 12 and it made such an impression on me I have been trying to track down, first a VHS copy then as years went by a DVD and now finally a blu ray has been released. The plot, if I remember correctly is about an old man who feels he is missing out on life as his old frame hinders him in the life he wants to lead, but finds it takes more than just being young at heart.( remember this is the recollection of a one time viewing by a 12 year old 20 years ago) The whole movie feels like an extended Twilight zone episode, and could have potentially been shortened to be one and worked just as well. Overall a great movie, Rock Hudson as ever, is brilliant.

Island of Death [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
Island of Death [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Behling

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best transfer, 30 May 2015
Just to let buyers know the aspect ratio for Arrow's release is 4:3 not widescreen and while the picture is the best this movie has looked so far, the sound is pretty awful with a constant hiss on the soundtrack. I have an imported dvd that is full frame and has a better soundtrack so will be keeping that one as a companion to this release.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 30 April 2015
No issues with cable, works exceedingly well. Highly recommended!

eSecure - Large 416 x CD DVD Disc Storage Wallet Holder Carry Case with Carry Handle - Massive 416 Disc Capacity!
Offered by DOMU Marketplace

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend!, 30 April 2015
I read the other reviews for these storage cases and decided to buy two with much trepidation, I have 3000 dvds and storage space is becoming a problem. I needn't have worried, I filled both to capacity and although they are a little difficult to close at first they eventually do. I had no problems with the sleeves tearing, starting out at first opening them very gently and by dvd 200 not gently at all and did not tear a single one in all 800 plus dvds, neither have either handle broke. Compared to other cd/dvd holders I would say these are well worth a punt!

The Art of Classic Comics: 100 Postcards from the Fabulous 1950s
The Art of Classic Comics: 100 Postcards from the Fabulous 1950s
by Ilex Press
Edition: Card Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic collection, 6 Mar. 2015
No Dc or Marvel here and despite what the picture on the box suggests, not that many Sci fi comics either but it is still a pleasant enough collection lots of war and teen romance comics, and yes they are actual postcards not just pictures in a book.

Chucky: The Killer Dvd Collection (2pc) (Ws Sub) [1991] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi I'm Chucky..., 18 Jan. 2014
Excellent collection in great packaging, the Chucky figure is raised on the box but comes in a clear plastic sleeve so it will sit flush with your other DVDs. IT IS REGION 1 SO WILL NOT PLAY ON STANDARD UK PLAYERS, but if, LIke myself you have a region free player this is a great boxset to own. The films vary in story quality with 'Bride' and 'seed' being the best
Picture and sound is good.
P.S. This set does not include the original childs play only the sequels

USA Today Movie Crosswords
USA Today Movie Crosswords
by Matt Gaffney
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Movie crosswords, 18 Jan. 2014
Bought for a friend who like me is a Movie geek, The puzzles aren't too taxing and the book is thinner than I expected (for some reason I thought it would have a lot more content).
I guess it would be ok as a stocking filler.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4