Profile for Pinksnowdrops > Reviews

Confessions Of A French Baker: Breadmaking secrets, tips and recipes
Confessions Of A French Baker: Breadmaking secrets, tips and recipes
by Peter Mayle

1.0 out of 5 stars A sad disappointment., 3 Mar. 2009
The book's title, and the author's previous successes, led me to expect a small book packed with little known tips,methods, advice, troubleshooting problems, anecdotes and perhaps some recipes.

I agree with all the points in the other review. The author has tried to earn money from old rope - repeating almost word for word, apart from some different ingredients, in each recipe.
There are not really any "secrets" - the methods given can be found in almost any book on breadmaking. I certainly never saw any "confessions"!!
Often, small books are interesting and worth keeping - this book is neither, to me anyway. After a few pages introducing the baker and bakery, we are given recipes - actually, more or less the same recipe but different ingredients. Only one type of flour - white - T55 - is used, and all recipes are given using the straight dough method, with no mention of delayed fermentation, autolize or other method of flavour development in any form.

I haven't tried any of the recipes, I am not inspired to, with the author's review of the bakery and bread making. And it looks to me like he has just tried to earn a fast buck!

Even the links given for flours are not particularly good. One website selling the flour, doesn't even give any description/protein content - I like to know exactly what I am buying, in order to give me a guide as what to expect regarding performance. The other website just seems to be of use for bulk flour orders.

My bread books become old friends to me after a while, sadly, I won't be keeping this one.