Profile for Mr. E. Prince > Reviews

Content by Mr. E. Prince

Mr. E. Prince "A. BLOKE" (London)

Death By Sexy
Death By Sexy

5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood, 18 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Death By Sexy (Audio CD)
I was browsing for the EODM's latest offering when I happened to see that the Death by Sexy album did not have the expected 5 star rating. Imagine my surprise when I found that two of the eight reviews had panned it.
I am truly at a loss.
This is not a Death Metal album. I thought this would be stating the obvious but having read the other reviews maybe it isn't.
The musical style for me is not a million miles removed form QOSA Homme's main concern (perhaps less catchy no appeal to drug culture and no Dave Grohl to help sell it), but for me this album has much more longevity; I am still pulling this one out on my mp3 player long after QOTSA has been left behind.
The two accompanying videos I have seen for this album suggest more than a fair share of tongue in cheek, which I found reminiscent of some of the Foo Fighters' videos with Jack Black. I found the whole album stylish, clever and fun and since I am almost 35 I am fairly sure that I am not being sold a rehash of something from days I don't remember. Oh and I don't like South Park. I will be buying the new album as soon as I finish writing this!

Pride & Glory
Pride & Glory
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly some of the best music of all time, 11 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Pride & Glory (Audio CD)
Yes it has a Southern rock sound running through it, and yes people do seem to say that the album has a C & W sound to it, but both these things are of little importance when you consider the talent, emotion, and lyrical strength of this music. In the same way that if you ask a die hard Led Zep fan if he prefers the blues edge of their early work of the folk edge of their middle work, he will doubtless reply 'Who cares it is all better than anything else you will hear', Zakk and friends deliver an album of excellence that hits you from the very first note and carries you right through.
Zakk's guitar work is definately the best in the world at the moment his vocals are powerful and beautiful and his piano playing is perfect for the setting.
I reiterate; if the most important aspects of your music are talent and rock buy this album. It will not disappoint.

Blessed Hellride
Blessed Hellride
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY

4.0 out of 5 stars Zakk shows where he is heading, 5 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Blessed Hellride (Audio CD)
My favorite album of Zakk's is Pride and Glory, but when Sonic brew came out I was truely impressed. It managed to be brewtally heavy(to coin zakk), but still carried depth and meaning and musical talent seen in very few other albums or bands. I am not looking for my music to be heavy necessarily, but it does have to be packed with talent and Sonic Brew matched the bill. Stronger than Death didn't disappoint either, also Book of Shadows.
AS a die hard fan, I will probably buy anything that Zakk produces, but it remains that 1918 Eternal and The Blessed Hellride played up to the market a little. What I always admired about Zakk and his music, was the strength he showed in producing an album that was true to himself not to the demands of his audience; the media be damned. This commanded a rare respect. It is obvious, however, that even he has succumbed and it is evident in this album more than any of the previous.
I like this album. I rate it highly. But if you are new to Zakk I would recommend Pride and Glory or Sonic Brew as a true taste of what Zakk is all about. Then again, if you just want your music to be as heavy as it can be then you could do worse than starting here. The kids seem to prefer it :-P !!!!

Finger Eleven
Finger Eleven

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Not bad at all!, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Finger Eleven (Audio CD)
One of the string of bands that seem to be coming out of Canada at the moment, with a similar feel to the rest but perhaps the most talented of them all. They sit in the same vein as bands like Tantric, Greenwheel, Cold, Course Of Nature, 12 Stones.
Their live presence is amazing, they always seem to really enjoy gigging. I have seem them at the underworld in Camden and at Brixton Academy where they out shone the main act Ever-gothpop-esence-crap. They have Real video clips and audio clips on their web site well worth checking out if you want to see more.
I love all of their albums, my only reservation would be that they could do with a more dominant lead guitar for my taste, but then my taste is probably 20 years out of date. The first album Tip is very Raw, which I like and the latest is more developed, which seems to appeal to everyone else!
Well worth a try.

Dvd ~ Led Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Live Footage You Could Hope For, 5 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Led Zeppelin [DVD](2003) (DVD)
I am a huge Led Zeppelin fan, and as such you would normally take anything I say with a pinch of salt, but believe me when I say that this is an astounding DVD. Yes the footage is at times 30 years old, but it doesn't suffer for it. Apart from occasional white outs, which have been masked with stills, there is extensive footage, with close, intimate camera work. The rendition of Moby Dick blows TSRTS out of the water, Bonzo's passion, and incredible technique are clear. Very few bands perform as well live as Led Zeppelin did, and this is Led Zeppelin captured at their best.
I have read a lot of reviews of this DVD from fans around the world, and not one has had a bad word for this release. I would love the opportunity to thank Jimmy Page for this chance for me to see my favourite band play live, as I was too young to catch them for real. If you like Led Zeppelin, remember they were a live phenomenon so this double disc feature is a must.

Dvd ~ Led Zeppelin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Live Footage You Could Hope For, 5 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Led Zeppelin [DVD](2003) (DVD)

Book of Shadows
Book of Shadows
Offered by groove_temple

5.0 out of 5 stars Zakk has hit the mark yet again., 2 April 2001
This review is from: Book of Shadows (Audio CD)
Now you probably think that anyone who raves this much about an album is either sad, out of his box, or just hasn't got a clue. Normally I would agree with you but not this time. This man truly is amazing, buy the album, don't think about it just do it. If you are looking in this genre you must be tempted, go with your instincts this is a beaut. And while your at it, get all of his other work as well....Pride and glory, Black Label Society the lot. You will not regret it.