Profile for Tetlee > Reviews

Splinter Cell 'Chaos Theory' Soundtrack [DVD AUDIO]
Splinter Cell 'Chaos Theory' Soundtrack [DVD AUDIO]
Offered by RevisionNet

5.0 out of 5 stars Amon Tobin on high-res DVD-Audio!, 18 May 2010
I said for ages that Ninja Tune would be a great label to go SACD/ DVD-A, especially for it's lossless multi-channel capabilities which experimental labels such as Ninja Tunes could really go to town on.

For a long time I didn't even now about this release from Amon Tobin and it had slipped right under my radar, when I did discover it though I was in for a real treat! For those that only wish there were more high-res electronic music, you have to add this to your collection!

At times dark and menacing, at times beautifulyl rich soundscapes. If you like nice active use of your surrounds then even better, the multi-channel is aggressive and it really hammers all the speakers in places. Not one for background music, this is an album to darken the lights, sit back and play it loud!

Only wish there were more like this, but for what it is, the only high-res release from a Ninja Tune artist, it's one to be cherished. 5 stars from me, superb!

Baja (Xbox 360)
Baja (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excite Truck meets Forza, 2 April 2010
This review is from: Baja (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Recently bought this game after having it on rental and deciding it was a keeper. Hugely underatted game and many of the reviews seem to be unduely harsh.

I've played alot of racers on the 360 and I'd say that this has quite possibly been my favourite so far, obviously doesn't have the visual flair of games like DiRT2 or GRiD, but in terms of gameplay I think it's superb, bags of fun, which for me is the most important aspect of any game.

I think of it as a more serious simulated version of Excite Truck, might sound a crazy comparison but it has a similar fun factor to it for me and nice open(often multi-routed) tracks. The physics are extremely well done and "Edge of Control" is a well thought out underheading as it describes what the game is all about in one simple line, it's as much about fighting with the rugged terain as it is racing, you really have to take care of your vehicle and keep a close eye on the HUD dials in preperation for air support/ pit stops.

Overall I would give this game an 8/10, mainly due to the fact there are way better looking games on the market, but if I had to rate the fun factor, 10/10, best thing since Rallisport Challenge 2!

For those that start out hating this game, give it some time and try to progress through the career, it's very different to most other racers out there, take care of your vehicle and try to use every berm you can(really helps keep your speed) rather than attempt to cut every corner and try to avoid ramming into AI drivers(which often results in vehicle damage).

World Through My Eyes Ltd Edition
World Through My Eyes Ltd Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since Pink Floyd?, 10 Jan. 2010
It would be difficult not to see the Pink Floyd influence here(aside from the lead vocalist sounding very much like David Gilmour), it's apparent in at least half the songs in the album through one form or another(and it's a very long album by the way, almost a bit too long for it's own good, almost). But that's not a critisism, it's actually a great album, many standout tracks and overall I've been really impressed with this SACD.

The multichannel mix is very good(not quite up there with the likes of DSOTM, but nicely produced IMO) and until Pink Floyd eventually(if ever) release Wish You Were Here on SACD, this for me is a nice stop-gap. Took a bit of a gamble on this album as I hadn't heard of RPWL before, will be keeping an eye on them in future(in both releases and concerts).

Definately recommended for prog rock fans, aswell as SACD collectors.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 12:34 PM BST

Honky Chateau
Honky Chateau
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't actually like Elton John before buying this album., 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Honky Chateau (Audio CD)
Only really decided to give it try as it's an SACD and cheap, also liked the fact I only recognised one or two tracks(Rocketman being the most obvious) so I knew the none of his tracks that have irritated me throughout the years were on there. Thankfully I was in for a really nice surprise with this album, much prefer his older stuff to his more recent typical disney style drivel that I hate!

The multichannel mix is pretty superb, nice warm sound yet at the same time crisp & clear, actually one of my favourite SACDs in terms of sound quality(not quite up there with my favourites but not far off), I was so pleased with it that I went on to pick up Captian Fantastic at an even bigger bargian price(seeing the reviews and noticing it too was of a similar time), must say I much prefer Honky Chateau to CF, it just doesn't have the warmth of this album IMO.

Highly recommended SACD for anyone with even a remote interest in Elton John, even for those that don't(as I didn't), should fit in well to anyones high-res collection.

Liars [DVD AUDIO]
Liars [DVD AUDIO]
Offered by tunesonline

4.0 out of 5 stars a Rundgren newbie opinion...., 26 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Liars [DVD AUDIO] (DVD Audio)
Always on the search for hi-res music I spotted this DVD-A at the bargain price of just over a fiver so thought I'd give it a go(the cd version is very highly rated elsewhere).

As a person that's never listened to Todd Rundgren previously it was certainly a surprising little album, quite varied in style(ranging from soul, blues, pop, euro-techno & rock), yet at the same time always very distinctive.

Bit of a grower this album, first listen I was actually a little disappointed, next time it grew a bit, and now I like it(have a feeling it'll continue to grow on me too). Happy Anniversary, Soulbrother and Stoodup being the standout tracks for me at the moment(lyrics are great, as with most of the tracks, if you like to hear songs with a bit of meaning rather than mindless nonsense there's alot to like here), they are also my favourite in terms of multi-channel surround, although the entire album is decent(certainly in DVD-A, I haven't listened in Dolby Digital which is also present as an option) and makes nice use of the surround speakers.

I notice the price has gone up now and only 4 remaining, DVD-A collectors looking for something a little different should definately consider grabbing this album while you can, gives some nice variety to a near dead format(although not quite as dead as my preferred formar, SACD).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2010 4:27 PM BST

TREADER
TREADER
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it or loathe it!, 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: TREADER (Audio CD)
I have to admit I'm a bit of a SHJ fanboy, ever since I first heard them on a John Peel session I instantly fell in love with their sound, for me no other producer/group have managed to bridge so many musical genres as convincingly save perhaps Aphex Twin.

The first album to take a slight change in direction from their tried and tested drum & bass sound, very beat heavy but a big departure from Busy Curious Thirsty, which in istelf was far more heavy than the almost dreamy sound of There are Strings and 68 Million Shades.

Right from the off this album kicks off with a very heavy sound, might sound funny but this cd always remings me alot of the movie Apocalypse Now(which is no bad thing as it's one of my favourites). Predonimantly dark and bass heavy this is one of those albums that begs to be played at maximum volume.

A real progression for SHJ and right up there with their finest releases, not to be missed!

Disappeared
Disappeared
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps "overlooked" might have been a better title., 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Disappeared (Audio CD)
For me the last great SHJ album, as with Treader they were already moving away from their established drum & bass sound, but it's still very present in this album and it's very much a continuation from the Treader release.

I was surprised this album never seemed to receive any press at time of release, and never really has done since, one of the last great albums from the mighty SHJ before they moved into the free-jazz style of music(which personally I'm not keen on).

I imagine there are a fair few fans that became confused with SHJs new free-jazz direction and possibly remained in doubt over what they were buying with the later releases, if you liked their old style of dreamy/dark/classical/drum & bass sound then get this while you can, before it does as it's title suggests and disappears.

Versions
Versions

5.0 out of 5 stars Some fine Versions, 16 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Versions (Audio CD)
When I sold pretty much all of my cds a few years ago prior to moving abroad my Spring Heel Jack collection were amoung the few cds I just couldn't let go.

Along with 68 Million Shades and There are Strings this is one of my favourite SHJ cds. Unlike so many remix projects this is some very classy re-imagining of previous releases, not seperating themselves with the classic dreamy d&b SHJ sound and perhaps even eclipsing their originals. As the track titles suggest most of the tracks here are very dub heavy and a great work out for a quality hifi set-up.

For any fans of SPJ don't let this release pass you by, right up there with their finest releases and highly recommended!

Padlocked Tonic
Padlocked Tonic
Offered by tunesonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the finest & funiest hiphop album ever!, 13 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Padlocked Tonic (Audio CD)
Can't believe nobodys reviewed this album yet. Bought this back in'99 as the most expensive cd I've ever bought at £16.99, worth every penny & more!

For anyone with a remote interest in UK HipHop with a good dose of humour ala Aspects or Fleapit, look no further. This album is an essential, I gaurantee you'll be killing yourself over the lyrics, but not only that, the production's really tight aswell with Sir Beans OBE at his best.

One of the most listened to hip hop albums I own, even after all these years. Bristol HipHop at its best.

Get this while you can, it took me ages to find when I was hunting record shops for it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4