Profile for J. Fryman > Reviews

Content by J. Fryman

J. Fryman "jerryfn" (Herefordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People Double Pack [DVD] [1979]
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Smiley's People Double Pack [DVD] [1979]
Dvd ~ Alec Guinness
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars An object lesson in quiet drama., 6 Feb 2014
The current fashion for 'Norwegian Noir' has all its origins here. Long languid deep scenes where the character and drama is given time to develop. A complex story that deserves several viewings.

LaCie d2 USB 3.0 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive
LaCie d2 USB 3.0 3TB Thunderbolt External Hard Drive
Price: 191.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite noisy. One failed but only a minor fault., 28 Nov 2013
Thunderbolt drives are thin on the ground. Expensive. However I took the plunge and bought one.
I must admit it's noisy. A constant white noise and a froggy grunt as it starts.
The first one failed after 6. weeks, not a problem, it was only the big LED on the front. Amazon excellent, a speedy refund.

I bought another. (I had to transfer the data). The second is quieter. It was made in Thailand. The other in China.
It is fast. I have partitioned it. 500gb to run time machine / 2.5 tb for data (all those bitcoins!). I have another wd running time machine too in parallel.
It has rescued me twice! Highly recommend this approach.

Remington HC365 Stylist Hair Clipper Set
Remington HC365 Stylist Hair Clipper Set
Price: 23.66

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but the last one was OK till the battery failed, 26 Oct 2013
I therefore have little faith that this one will last much longer.
Shame to chuck it away as only the battery failed and would not hold the charge.
Impossible to dismantle! WHY NOT REPLACEMENT BATTERIES?

Another design to encourage global warming!

Rust-Oleum RO0030302G1 750ml Universal Paint - Matt Black
Rust-Oleum RO0030302G1 750ml Universal Paint - Matt Black
Offered by Transtools
Price: 13.98

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT MATT!, 26 July 2013
Bought this to paint the beams on my house. Excellent coverage but definitely not Matt. Had to go over everything with blackboard paint.

Twice the job! Shine like satin almost gloss!

Rosate 36 Very Strong Glyphosate Weedkiller - Kills The Weeds & The Roots!
Rosate 36 Very Strong Glyphosate Weedkiller - Kills The Weeds & The Roots!
Offered by A1LAWN
Price: 38.95

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 ltr! and very swift delivery, 10 July 2013
Purchased 9th July - arrived 10th July.

Just compare the price! this is a 5ltr container for 10 more than the price of 1ltr of Roundup.

One secret that a farmer told me is that glyphosphate works much better in water that is free of 'lime' / "calcium".
So if you can use rainwater, the dilution can be even less than the recommended dose. Also do not store the diluted solution.

With that in mind... Use with care near the plants you love!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A significant improvement on the supplied router, 10 Oct 2012
A bought this to replace the DSL 2680 router supplied by Talk Talk. To be honest this was not too bad but I do use wireless for streaming music and and radio all round the house. I chose the DGN 2200 as I have a Netgear 2000 extender so it seemed sensible to stick with the same family.

The wireless power is excellent, my signal improved from 40% to 75% in most areas.
I run a Mac a PC and Logitech Squeezeboxes and it has revolutionized the network.
One particular bonus was the USB socket on the back. This acts as a network storage point, that can be accessed from anywhere on my network.

Security is excellent, access to setup is easy via the browser based screen. It also has excellent diagnostics that were very useful when I had a fault on the line. I could quote the stats to guy on support. There is even a facility for remote access and control.

I did have a Belkin router, this was very difficult to set up and control. So I am very pleased with this one.

Pulsar Gents Kinetic PAR167X1
Pulsar Gents Kinetic PAR167X1
Offered by Watch Shop
Price: 112.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, no fuss, no wind, very accurate., 12 July 2012
I just love it, this is my second kinetic watch. The first is still going strong, this was just a change of style.
Why pay more... beautifully made, excellent mechanism that has survived shocks and bangs.

NO overpriced designer bling! just a good timekeeper.

Breville VTT236 Silver 4 Slice Toaster
Breville VTT236 Silver 4 Slice Toaster
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., 6 Jun 2012
How many toasters have I dumped because the mechanism would not stay down or I burnt my fingers fishing out the odd burnt bit of bread.
The last one was ditched for precisely these reasons. Also we needed a toaster that would take the odd size slices from the bread maker.

After a lot of research and contemplating one of those very expensive brands I found a deal (from Tesco) and traded in my rewards.
So far, it appears to be well made, the mechanism has a reassuring click and it takes all the bread sizes I have thrown at it. (Some really odd bread too!)
Perfect results, just right, even toasting, though as with every toaster we have had you need to turn it down a notch on the second 'toast'

No fuss, it looks good (in Black!) it is almost a smaller footprint than the 2 slice one we had before. Also we don't have a silver monster sitting in the corner of the kitchen,
and I don't feel guilty over paying a vast amount for 'just a toaster'.

Why pay more, unless you want to show off a 'status' brand or make industrial strength toast

Philips SHE6000/10 In - Ear Virtual Surround Sound Headphones
Philips SHE6000/10 In - Ear Virtual Surround Sound Headphones
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best headphones I have ever had, 29 Mar 2012
I never pay a huge amount for headphones, as they tend to suffer damage or I loose them. Therefore I can't compare with some of the 'so called' audiophile headphones which of course come at a 'price'. Nevertheless these headphones are significantly better than average. In particular the 'surround' effect which is remarkable. Quite freaky sometimes as it is so lifelike. The tonal range is excellent, the definition is superb and there is excellent bass. I particularly like the stereo imaging which reduces that 'voice in the middle of your head' which can be very tiring. Quite comfortable, even in bed. (But then most headphones irritate after a while).
Highly recommended and worth that bit extra. My last pair went through the wash and still worked! but I am sure this cannot be relied on all the time.
Just did a head to head with my nephew's 'Bowers & Wilkins' @ 130, no comparison the Phillips are SO much better with more precise imaging and deeper tighter bass.
I find them comfortable too, the B&W are difficult to fit properly.

Room of Worship
Room of Worship
Price: 8.22

5.0 out of 5 stars What a voice!, 25 Mar 2012
This review is from: Room of Worship (Audio CD)
Stunning indeed. The combination of such a wonderful voice together with such an adventurous production is really excellent. An excellent album that you can listen to as an album. Beautifully orchestrated and recorded, whack up the volume and indulge in something really great. I recommend all the other albums too.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4