Profile for Mr. M. Bellamy Imsl > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Bellamy...

Mr. M. Bellamy Imsl "Martyn" (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Using WordPress, Enhanced Edition
Using WordPress, Enhanced Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and definitely worth having in your library, 2 Mar 2013
Were I writing this book I would have started in the middle because it is in the middle that Tris really gets into the nuts and bolts of building blogs, webs and combinations of the two.

I'm working through this whilst building my first major WordPress site and it really is invaluable and a close companion. Without doubt I will read this more than twice because, as my knowledge develops I know that there is a lot of reference material that I will only fully appreciate when my knowledge is better developed.

Tris, being a blogger, is very conversational. This can be a little frustrating if you are keen to get to play with the toys but this is not a criticism of the book, merely a personal observation from an eager student.

My shelves have hundreds of IT books from 40+ years as an IT professional (some are probably collectors items:-) and based on my experience my unreserved advice, if you want to work in WordPress, is to add this to your shelf.

30 Minutes to a Wordpress Website - The ULTIMATE Step-By-Step Guide for Beginners to Create a Website With Wordpress in as Little as 30 Minutes!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way to dip you toe into WordPress, 2 Mar 2013
Having had to get into WordPress quickly I got a couple of quick start books.

With a book such as this there is clearly no intention to make you an instant expert. The book should be judged for its intended purpose and that is to get you started. In this respect it was a very worthwhile investment - it got me building something very quickly. Now that I know more about WordPress I would have created something slightly different but that is a bias based on my particular needs.

If you haven't used WordPress yet buy this book. You'll wonder why you never used WordPress before.

How to Get a Grip - Forget namby-pampy, wishy washy, self-help drivel. This is the book you need

5.0 out of 5 stars Man up and buy this book!, 20 Jan 2013
Despite this being a tongue-in-cheek approach to self help it really is rather good because it addresses those otherwise sensitive issues head on. Why use a nutcracker when a sledgehammer is just as effective and a helluva lot more fun.

Treat yourself and help make Matthew filthy rich.

Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett series Book 4)
Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Trophy Hunt" - add it to your wall!, 1 May 2012
CJ continues to draw you in. He writes about what he knows - what he understands, takes you to otherwise unfamiliar places and makes you feel at home with Joe Pickett and his family.

I didn't know of this author until I "discovered" him via e-books but, already, I've read many of his books. If you enjoy a good story, well told and well written then C.J. Box will probably be to your liking.

Out of Range (Joe Pickett series Book 5)
Out of Range (Joe Pickett series Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars "Out of Range" is out of sight!, 1 May 2012

Force of Nature (Joe Pickett series Book 12)
Force of Nature (Joe Pickett series Book 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Force of Nature, 1 May 2012

PRINCE2TM 2009 Edition  - A Pocket Guide (Best Practice Series)
PRINCE2TM 2009 Edition - A Pocket Guide (Best Practice Series)
by Bert Hedeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy pocket guide, 9 Nov 2010
This book makes rather more sense than the official one and it is literally a pocket guide. Any PM would be well advised to have it around. It remains opaque to newbies and the print is rather on the small size (the nature of a pocket guide, I guess) but an ideal companion.

Access 2007 For dummies
Access 2007 For dummies
by Laurie Ulrich Fuller

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite good in parts, 2 Jun 2010
Given a known starting point (the basics) the book would have served better had it taken me on a journey of discovery the destination of which was some significant distance down the road to enlightenment in respect of its subject.

As it stands I feel as if I've got into a taxi and the driver has done a runner. It will sit on my shelf for a while but I am unlikely to choose to revisit it with the much better fare that resides beside it.

Access 2007 Forms and Reports For Dummies
Access 2007 Forms and Reports For Dummies
by Brian Underdahl

1.0 out of 5 stars Delivered less than was hoped, 2 Jun 2010
I was somewhat disappointed that the book did not appear to contain a link to data that could be used to work with. In addition there was no logical sequence in the narrative.

Given a known starting point and the provision of access to relevant data the book would have served better had it taken me on a journey of discovery the destination of which was some significant distance down the road to enlightenment in respect of its subject.

Beginning Visual Basic 6 Database Programming
Beginning Visual Basic 6 Database Programming
by John Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Tour de Force", 29 Mar 2001
It's barely possible to overestimate the value contained in this volume. John Connell covers a lot of ground and covers it well. He'll take you from zero to hero if you work through the subject matter dilligently. What I have learned will take weeks off development times.
There are errors in the code (aren't there always) but you can download reference code from Wrox. There are a few inconsistencies in coding style but these are trivial.
I would say more but I'm all fired up and I'm away to develop some applications (then I'll have lunch!).

Page: 1 | 2