Profile for I. W. Barnes > Reviews

Content by I. W. Barnes

I. W. Barnes "Barney" (Yorkshire, UK)

Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Multisport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 310XT GPS Multisport Watch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by Computers On Time

4.0 out of 5 stars but easy to use, 8 Jan. 2016
bulky, but easy to use, lots of features and I love the plotting of the route on the map, times, speed, altitude, calories etc. The only down side is that the strap is quite small. I would say I have a med-large wrist and it fits with about 1/2 and inch to spare. Would buy again.

TUDIA Ultra Slim Full Matte ARCH TPU Bumper Protective Case for Motorola Moto G 3 (3rd Gen 2015 Released) (Blue)
Offered by Aplars USA

5.0 out of 5 stars I like to look and feel of it, 8 Jan. 2016
I like to look and feel of it. it went on very easily, much more easy than the one I had on my old phone. Not much more I can say about it really. I haven't dropped it yet, so can't vouch for the protection side. Feels like it is good quality.

FoneM8® - New 2015 Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) Screen Protector (PACK OF 5) Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card
Offered by FoneM8store

5.0 out of 5 stars moto g3 screen protector., 8 Jan. 2016
5 in pack, comes with cleaning cloth and a card to smooth the protector to remove air. Fits my Moto g3 perfectly...almost too perfect, if you are a little bit out on the alignment at the top it makes it a long way out at the bottom. took me 3 attempts to get it straight ( I ended up doing it from side to side instead of top to bottom.

Cateye VELO9 CC-VL820 Cycle Computer - Black
Cateye VELO9 CC-VL820 Cycle Computer - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars cateye velo9 cc-vl820, 18 Mar. 2014
I've used cateye for some years now and have never had a faulty one or any problems. The reason I gave this 3 stars is down to the couple of basically useless features... the calorie count is a laugh. I did a 40min hill climb (steep) and it said 198 cals... I then basically free wheeled back down the hill (40mph) and it said (for the second leg) I'd burnt 254 cals??? I wish I'd spent a little more and got the one with the heart rate monitor. (I'm in my mid 50's).... also the CO2 offset ??? who is interested in that?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2016 6:51 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Cree Q5 bicycle lights, 24 Nov. 2013
I ordered the twin Q5 torches that also came with a rear light. The torches are sturdy with somesturdy plastic mounts and rubber protection sleeve. the mounts are attached by thumb screws (quick and easy). The light is powerful and concentrated to a narrow beam or spread wide by simply sliding the head forward or backward. One point to mention is that my set came with no instructions and there is a tubular spacer that looks like part of the torch. this has to be removed or the torch won't work (it prevents the batteries from connecting with the rear switch). It's not immediately obvious, and I almost sent the torches back as being faulty. Value for money would be hard to beat. Recommended.
PS. I have used both AAA rechargeable and standard Alkaline batteries in the torches with no problems.

TP-LINK TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-LINK TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars high gain wireless usb adapter, 17 July 2011
I got the tp-link tl-wn722n usb adapter to replace my daughters old one (a generic brand which kept losing connection). Her system is a 32-bit vista. From unwrapping the box the adapter comes with adjustable antenna and a USB extension cable. it was well packaged and feels sturdy. the setup instructions were easy to follow, but there was nothing to tell you what to do if the setup failed (which it did for me).... eventually I had to remove the drivers, disable my firewall (zone alarm extreme) switch off windows firewall and then install drivers fresh.... this then enabled me to access the networks and setup my connection. The lack of info on failed installation, is the only reason I've given it 4 stars. the connection is showing 5-bars and excellent reception which hasn't dropped out yet. well worth the money....recommended.

Samsung P2450H 24-inch Widescreen Full HD 1920 x 1080p Monitor (2ms, HDMI, Rose Red)

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung P2450 HD widescreen monitor, 20 Jan. 2011
I bought this monitor for myself as a Xmas present. Following the intial delivery hic-up (delivery left the box in the snow at the side of my house!!!) on Xmas day I set it up. Very quick and easy to get up and running (windows 7 64-bit default drivers). I had to play with the colour settings to set it to how I like it (the original settings were on 100% brightness). The touch buttons take a little getting used to. If you hit the buttons in too quick succession they don't register. you have to pause slightly between touches. The picture quality and response for gaming is fantastic, I can't fault it. The optional software that came with it is not very user friendly and a little confusing....plus it keeps trying to access the internet (why I don't know...so I've blocked it totally on my firewall) It's supposed to be for brightness and gamma control. I found my ATI catalyst controller much better to use and adjust so I don't recommend installing samsungs software(personal preference). The reason why I've given it 4 stars is that I have a couple of dead pixels in the middle of the screen. these are only really noticeable on boot-up (black screen) or when there is a dark background. Hardly worth sending it back.....I'll see how things develop.
all in all I'd recommend this monitor (looks good too)

Coolink SWiF2-1200 Fan 120P 120 x 120 x 25
Coolink SWiF2-1200 Fan 120P 120 x 120 x 25

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolink swif2-120p pwm fan, 29 Aug. 2010
I bought 3 of these to go with my new cpu cooler (zalman flex) They are PWM so that the MB can control them..... you can also 'chain' them together so that they all run at the same speed..... At full speed (1750rpm) they shift a huge amount of air..... I've never needed to run them at 1750...I have them running at 1000 or less for gaming (counter strike) they are quiet (can hardly hear them at 1000 rpm..... when they get to 1750 the noise does rise but it's not really a noisy fan, it's more like a wind tunnel noise because they move so much air...... I have one on the base of my case, one on the cpu cooler and one on the rear of the case.... keeps my gaming beast cool and quiet at 1000rpm. I'm glad I bought these and would be happy to use them again.

Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support
Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support

5.0 out of 5 stars ZALMAN FLEX ultra quiet, 29 Aug. 2010
WOW! what a difference this cooler makes. I got it to replace my stock cooler for an AMD 965BE quad core. Ultra quiet is because it has no fans!!! However I also purchased a couple of coolink swif2-120p fans to go with it.... my cpu has never run so cool and so quiet..... I forgot it was switched on the other day (couldn't hear it like I could with the old cooler) Although I'm using a PWM fan with it, the MB runs the fan almost at full speed so I bypassed it with a free software fan contoller for my motherboard (to run at 1000rpm). I game with it and have not had to run the fan any faster, with the temp barely moving. I haven't tried overclocking yet because I'm happy with the super quiet PC though I'm pretty sure that this could handle a fair amout of heat as the fins are cool to the touch (even after 3hours of counter-strike).
I recommend this product, especially if you are limited for space in your case (Fan edge is a little close to my memory but could be moved to the other side of the cooler (it comes with brakets to fit two fans if you need to....I only fit one on the cooler)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 11:21 PM GMT

TomTom ONE IQ Routes Edition Satellite Navigation Unit Europe (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars TT1 IQ routes Europe, 9 Dec. 2009
Having previously owned a 'myguide 3100' which was very good for navigation but had terrible customer support and eventually broke (3rd one to do this) I decided to spend a little more and go for the Tomtom. I'd tried my mates Garmin and his tomtom, so I had a good idea of what to expect and I wasn't disappointed.
Nice compact and sturdy. I've used it a couple of times and it's been great (love the lane navigation that auto zooms in/out when you're close to the junction). Like other people have said though, the initial map update took about one and a half hours....however, once it's done, it's really simple to do further updates quite quickly. Many features in the software that comes with the unit. I also like the 'map share' where, if you come across an incorrect item during your journey you can edit your map on-screen. When you next update your map, it shares this info with anyone else that has signed up to map share. (you get their corrections too) This is of course optional and I'd like to think that there is some form of quality control by TomTom to ensure that you only get correct information. I liked the tomtom so much that I've bought another for my Son (Xmas gift) as he lives in Germany and his old satnav is on it's last legs. I'll update this review at a later date once I've done some more travelling with it.