Profile for I Reid > Reviews

Content by I Reid

I Reid "Ms Reid" (Brighton UK)

To The End of the Land
To The End of the Land
by David Grossman

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is an absorbing and sometimes painful read- an amazing account of begin a parent and ..., 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: To The End of the Land (Paperback)
This book is an absorbing and sometimes painful read- an amazing account of begin a parent and all the joys,difficulties and pain that it involves as well as a story of Israel and the conflicts within the country and it's people. Not a page turner, but a long and thoughtful and thought provoking tale written beautifully and movingly. It will stay with me and the reading of it is almost a physical experience!
Highly recommended!

Fly London Womens Yama Bordeaux Boots P500326016 7 UK, 40 EU
Fly London Womens Yama Bordeaux Boots P500326016 7 UK, 40 EU

4.0 out of 5 stars Love them!, 17 Oct 2014
Gorgeous colour, lovely soft leather, comfort as with all fly boots- my only slight negative is that the lace fastening is not as secure as the yogi boots with velcro ....but I love the way they look!

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this downj- a really thrilling thriller which ..., 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Kindle Edition)
Could not put this downj- a really thrilling thriller which I am sure will make a face paced and gripping film in a a year or two!

Haweswater
Haweswater
by Sarah Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Haweswater (Paperback)
A great passionate story well told and gripping.

Alarm Girl
Alarm Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars I really loved the young girls voice in this book- very authentic, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: Alarm Girl (Kindle Edition)
This is a clear and complex novel about children and parents, belonging and identity, cleverly told through the voices of the mother and daughter.I really loved the young girls voice in this book- very authentic! Also thought the sense of displacement and anger at the faithless parent came across very strongly.I stayed up late to finish it.

Living For The Moment
Living For The Moment
by Charles Hanaway

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this a really interesting account of an ordinary ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Living For The Moment (Paperback)
I found this a really interesting account of an ordinary East End children hood and a realistic and truthful account of the boredom as well as the horror of life as an infantry man in WWII. Well worth a read!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Every camper needs one!, 27 Feb 2011
These tiny towels are great for sticking in your bag when out walking, or when camping- space saver and really great when you need a face cloth or towel. Very absorbant- perfect for taking to the washroom at campsites.
Get some!

Junie B. Jones's First Boxed Set Ever!
Junie B. Jones's First Boxed Set Ever!
by Barbara Park

5.0 out of 5 stars Junie B- bestest discovery ever!, 6 Jun 2009
I found the first Junie B book by chance a couple of years ago and have now read 16- Both my children love them and I have also introduced them to numerous friend's children and two classes at the school where I teach- the verdict is unanimous- THEY ARE FANTANSTIC! They are perfect for reading aloud and also simple enough for beginner readers to read sucessfully alone- One friend says they turned her daughter into a reader over one weekend. Some times they are so funny I cannot read for laughing out loud. My class this year are so enthralled that they won't let me read any other books- a collective groan goes up if it isn't Junie B! As to the language, by seven years, the children I teach are able to pick up on the mistakes Junie B makes in her grammar and speech and get the jokes intended by the very talented Barabara Parks. I have read many many books as a teacher of 15 years, and this author really knows children. I can't recommend Junie B highly enough!

The Indoor Pirates
The Indoor Pirates
by Jeremy Strong

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Wheeze!, 14 May 2008
This review is from: The Indoor Pirates (Paperback)
Excellent for reading aloud, these stupid pirates will amuse a class full of children, who can all guess what disaster is coming next!

The Accidental
The Accidental
by Ali Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Even better second time, 31 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Accidental (Paperback)
I am wondering if all the negative reviews are partly because the reviewers are not from the UK- I think it is very evocative of a place and a time, and full of specific cultural values(white middle class,urban, academic). I found this book profoundly interesting and moving. I felt that all four family members who were so stuck at the start of the novel, developed and moved on by the end. Smith managed to create four entirely believable voices and at different points I felt sympathy for all of them.The various writing styles are sustained brilliantly and I felt that each character's story was equally strong. It felt very much a story of the UK now and the struggle for families to stay together and understand each other in the face of a difficult and depressing world. It definately warrants a second reading. As to whether Amber is real, a device or a ghost, she is an amazing force and stayed with me long after I finished the book.

It is not straightforward, or an easy read- you are made to think and puzzle and reflect- and a good think that is when most of the time we are not challenged by books, tv or film!