Profile for Jimbo > Reviews

Want You Dead
Want You Dead
Price: 5.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but quite a good read, 20 Jun 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Peter James book that I could put down - usually have to keep reading but this one just didn't hit the mark. It is an enjoyable read but the psycho boyfriend out to ruin a woman's life who is a maestro magician, firework maker, master locksmith, ex fireman with a significant inheritance is just a bit too much. The past few books have had parts that you need to park your disbelief for a bit - however, I found this one to have gone too far. Not sure if Mr James has wrung as much as he can out of Roy - especially after his ex wife turned up at his wedding dressed in funeral garbe and then left without saying anything. She could have at least said hello. Bad form...

Candy Crush Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Addictive - but have to pay to continue past 30 levels, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Candy Crush Saga (App)
I enjoyed playing this game but did not want to link to FB nor pay additional money for it (although I did at one point as I was getting frustrated with not getting past a level). I know they are a commercial enterprise but I would rather pay up front for something rather than getting hit for 62p everytime I get stuck or if I want to continue. Currently on a 24 hour time out because I wont pay up!

Kidde 10Y29 Smoke Alarm - Optical Photoelectric 10 Year (Life and Warranty) Sealed Battery
Price: 13.68

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd one - goes off for no reason, 23 Oct 2013
I moved into my new home and it had this smoke alarm installed. When it started to go off for no reason, I figured that the unit needed replaced, so bought the same model to save on fitting it again. It arrived within the specified time and fitted perfectly into the fitting on the ceiling. It did go off every now and then for no reason but this morning it has been going off in 1 - 15 minute intervals since 3am. I got sick off getting out of bed to reset it and had checked the house thoroughly. Then the reset button stopped working and it just kept going and going and going. So I have had to take it down, stamp the living daylights out of it and chuck it in the bin - because the battery is fitted so you can't just take the batteries out. I will have to get another smoke alarm but not this model. No idea what is wrong with it - but very annoying when it is going off for no reason whatsoever. Cannot recommend this based on my experiences.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2013 8:30 PM GMT

Crime Fiction (Best Defence No. 5)
Crime Fiction (Best Defence No. 5)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great continuation of the series, 6 Sep 2013
Can't believe that I am the first to write a review - however, very pleased that there was another book in the series! Crime Fiction starts with Robbie thinking about his Uni years and catches up with a lady who he fancied at the time but she dropped out of Law after her first year and then went on to become a successful crime novelist. She credits Robbie with giving her the synopis of her first book and presents him with a bottle of whisky which appears to be from the Co-op and a blend to boot. So he decides to give it to his Dad for Fathers' Day and then discovers that it is actually one of the rarest whiskies around. This puts him ahead of Malkie in the Sons' League and Robbie is enjoying the attention. However Suzie is looking for more help on a book and tries to get Robbie to give her the downlow on his current case which involves the son of a man who makes his money from internet betting now but had a very shady past. Although Robbie represented the son in a previous case, which he won, but he is representing the co-defendent this time. There are plenty of other characters making an appearance too...

The narrative is extremely well put together and flows excellently. The plot weaves a tangled web and then Robbie comes through at the end having untangled a fair bit of it. There is a lovely ending to the book that gave me a lump in my throat - but I wont spoil it for you. I am usually unsentimental but I have come to know the characters through the Best Defence series and was pleased that Robbie was able to make his Dad happy for once - even though he is terrible at maintaining relationships. Excellent plot, well written and paced very well. I realise that Mr McIntyre is being pushed to write other types of novels but I would request that we get at least one more from this series. I love them and being a Scot in England, I love being taken back to God's own through prose and visualising the various places - St Andrews, Edinburgh and Linlithgow featuring this time. Can't recommend this highly enough - it is a crime of fiction publishing that WHS McIntyre does not have a proper publishing deal yet!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 7:16 PM BST

In One Person
In One Person
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - uncomfortable subject matter for some though!, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: In One Person (Kindle Edition)
I had put off reading this one until I had some time on my hands - getting the house decorated was the perfect time to sit down and take myself off into Mr Irving's world. This has the usual Irving plot fillers such as wrestling, child growing up with a very dysfunctional family and making sense of the world, New England etc. Written in the first person it follows the life of Bill, his "crushes" and how things have panned out in his life. The book flows extremely well and the narrative is descriptive and interesting - in terms of his family interactions, dealings with people at his school and how life has affected them through the years. The part that I found interesting was the writing was unashamedly about being bisexual and Bill's attraction to men, women and transgender folk. It was a bit leftfield at first and wasn't sure where it was going to go. There are no real explicit sex scenes but I think that some readers might find it a bit "distasteful" - especially readers who, for whatever reason, feel that LGBTQ lifestyles are "wrong". My view is that is made for a refreshing change in terms of love interests and those reviews who are giving 1 or 2 stars are those who struggled with the topic. The writing is classic JI and in some ways easier to read than previous books. I really enjoyed it but will admit to being uncomfortable at first with the candid nature of describing Bill's lusts - however, why shouldn't he go with how he feels.

Tasmin Archer - Best Of
Tasmin Archer - Best Of
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 11 Jun 2013
I had her first album somewhere but don't think I replaced it as a CD. This is a great collection of her work and I have really enjoyed revisiting Tasmin Archer and her considerably catchy songs!

Dominion
Dominion
Price: 3.65

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read - interesting version of events, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Dominion (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book - it was well researched and the storyline flowed very well. There are obviously lessons from the past to be learnt and this provides an insight into a possible world where things have happened in Britain during WWII through to 1952. Although I enjoyed the narrative, I felt that the premise of Frank having a huge secret that could not be told was not such a huge secret, as it was only towards the end that you had a sense of the secret that had been shared and his sense of outrage seemed rather excessive. However, it was a good piece of writing that kept me hooked. The author's note at the end was a tad OTT in reference to Scottish nationalism - although I understand his perspective, I felt it was fundementally flawed in its logic. However, each to their own.

A Day At The Office
A Day At The Office

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 26 May 2013
Thought that I would read some chick lit written by a guy - same old stuff - miscommunication, reading things wrong and wanting for true love. It was an OK read but I cannot relate to any of the characters and didn't find them at all interesting. Basically it is just a comedy of errors. However, it was an easy read, not taxing and you just had to accept what was going on. Will not be reading any more from this author but it isn't really the genre I enjoy reading anyway.

Ne Me Quitte Pas
Ne Me Quitte Pas
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars The best version!, 25 May 2013
This review is from: Ne Me Quitte Pas (MP3 Download)
I came across Jacques Brel on YouTube singing this song with such emotion that I wanted to buy it. Sooo much better than the English versions by the likes of Dusty Springfield etc. The song is just so raw in French.

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker for iPhone/iPad/iPod/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black
Price: 7.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably good - but doesn't last long..., 25 May 2013
Cannot believe the sound quality coming out of this thing. Bought it to go on holiday with and will be very happy to hear my music. Bought it because it is compact and based on the previous reviews. Am very impressed and highly recommend it.
Update - has stopped working after less than 6 months of moderate use. Not overly impressed with it now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5