Profile for garyh1967 > Reviews

garyh1967

EcoAir ECO DD122 Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier - White
EcoAir ECO DD122 Desiccant Simple Dehumidifier - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Mar. 2015
It's early days but this seems to be doing the job.

Mukiwa: A White Boy in Africa
Mukiwa: A White Boy in Africa
by Peter Godwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and best, 3 Dec. 2013
Back in the '90s after Nick Hornby wrote 'Fever Pitch' a lot of would be football writers jumped on the bandwagon with much readable results. The same has been true of the white experience of growing up in Africa. None, so far (with the exception of Peter Godwin's other writing) has come close to 'Mukiwa'.

He has the ability to put the reader right into the middle of his story whether it be growing up in the Eastern Highlands of Rhodesia, fighting the war in Matabeleland or returning to Zimbabwe.

I have owned this book for 16 years now and probably read it cover to cover three or four times. On many, many more occasions I have idly picked it up off my bookshelf, opened it and randomly read a few pages. An absolute delight!

I could not recommend this book more highly

Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU?
Au Revoir, Europe: What If Britain Left The EU?
by David Charter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 15 May 2013
As a teacher of A Level Government & Politics I have avoided teaching units on the EU because of the complexity of the issues. David Charter's book may change this. Should I teach this topic in the future then 'Au Revoir Europe' will be at the top of the reading list.
It is everything an academic book should be - objective and empirical yet accessible to all.
I would recommend anybody to read this book as the next election approaches when Europe will surely be one of the hot topics.

Strumpet City [DVD] [1980]
Strumpet City [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Peter O'Toole
Offered by Helen's Goodies

5.0 out of 5 stars David Kelly's finest hour, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Strumpet City [DVD] [1980] (DVD)
I first saw this when it was shown during the early days of Channel Four. Some stand out performances - Peter O'Toole (very briefly) from a boat; Cyril Cusack superb as the embittered, bullying priest. The star of the show was undoubtedly the late and very great David Kelly. May he rest in peace.
A very poignant series which superbly encapsulates the life and politics of Dublin in the years before the Rising. It's not often that a production based on a book is as good as this.
Highly recommended

Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten [DVD]
Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julian Temple

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 30 Jan. 2012
I've lost count of how many times I've watched this. A must for Clash fans. For me two highlights stand out, both very poignant - Mick's campfire interview (surely and appropriately for Mick done in West London) and the bits by Johnny Green. I'm always in tears when he describes how Joe helped out when his wife and child died.

Celtic Minded 3
Celtic Minded 3
by Joseph M Bradley (editor)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 26 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Celtic Minded 3 (Paperback)
As Celtic supporters we claim that our club is the best in the world and different to the rest. What makes us so different? This book (and the two previous editions)does. I can't think of any other club in Britain that would have had three volumes written about what it means to support a football club - socially, culturally and politically.

I can't see this book being a great attraction to non-Celtic fans but that's okay. If you support the hoops and haven't come across this it's well worth the money

Campaign 2010: The Making of the Prime Minister
Campaign 2010: The Making of the Prime Minister
by Nicholas Jones

2.0 out of 5 stars Title is a misnomer, 23 Oct. 2010
I'm bewildered by the fact that a book that is titled 'Campiagn 2010' spends so little time on the 2010 Campaign itself. Perhaps the author believes we now engage in some US style 'invisible primaries'. Otherwise why would he devote a 49 page chapter to Cameron's 'big speech' at the 2005 Tory Party conference yet two chapters of combined shorter length on the campaign round up and the aftermath of the election?

I was sorely disappointed overall and am hopeful that future books will not make the same mistake

Happy Birthday Dear Celtic
Happy Birthday Dear Celtic
by Douglas Beattie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories, 27 Aug. 2010
The Seville season was great but for me nothing has ever quite matched the magic of the centenary season. That day in May when we beat Dundee United to complete the double - and tell Thatcher what she could do with her politics- will live with me forever. Douglas Beattie has captured the centenary season superbly. I particularly like the 'behind the scenes' view as well as mention of the games.
Great memories in a book about a year that for this particular Celt made up for not being old enough for 1967