Profile for Anne46 > Reviews

Content by Anne46

Anne46 (Ossett, West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2
The King of Terrors (a psychological thriller combining mystery, crime and suspense)
Price: 2.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 Mar 2013
Having read and really enjoyed 'The House of The Wicked' by the same author I was looking forward to reading 'The King of Terrors'. I'm not giving an overall account of what it's about as you can read that in other reviews, I'm merely saying what I did and didn't enjoy about it. It started off really well, really enjoyed the first few chapters. The next couple were almost like a different book, they seemed disconnected from the first few though I did of course think all would be revealed and 'joined up'. The book rambled on too much for my liking and I feel it would have benefitted from a good trim. I skimmed over quite a bit of the book. For example there was a whole chapter about one character, Billy Crudd, which I didn't feel added very much to the story. Yes give him a few pages but not a whole chapter, it wasn't as though he was even likeable. There were a few grammatical errors, for example "I did try and tidy it up a little". Many people use the phrase 'try and' rather than 'try to' - this may be pedantic on my part but I do like things to be correct as far as I know them to be. Also the author says "The one and the same". I'm not saying this is incorrect but I've only ever heard people say 'One and the same'. My other main gripe was the style of dialogue, I found it very corny at times. I did enjoy some of it but on the whole I'd only say it was ok.

Vanishing Acts
Vanishing Acts
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as other JP books I've read, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I've read 3 other books by Jodi Picoult and enjoyed them very much, so was looking forward to reading this. The beginning and end of the book I enjoyed but the rest had me skimming over pages or skipping them completely. The story revolves around a father's kidnapping of his young daughter Delia. We meet them 28 years later when his daughter has a child of her own. Her father is arrested for the kidnap at the end of the first chapter so I thought all that remained was to find out why he kidnapped his daughter and whether he would end up in prison or not; how long would that take!? The first few chapters were still good but the middle of the story left a lot to be desired. There were pages and pages about the belief system and lifestyle of a Hopi Indian that Delia comes into contact with which was unneccessary, boring and added nothing to the storyline. if I wanted that much information about Hopi Indians I'd get a book on the subject. This was also the case when the author goes into lots of detail about Andrew's time in prison while awaiting trial and during the trial, again it added nothing whatsoever to the plot.

Zero Day (John Puller 1)
Zero Day (John Puller 1)
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Full of American claptrap, 1 Sep 2012
No offence to Americans in general but nobody does claptrap better in literature and films as far as I'm concerned. This could have been a good story (and I did enjoy it for the most part) if it weren't for the endless hokum from the main character. I'm sure it's all meant sincerely by the author but it comes across as phoney to me. The main character 'Puller' is a laconic army man but I found his way of speaking extremely irritating after a while. Many people have said this is a rip-off of Lee Childs 'Jack Reacher' well I've only read one of his JR stories and didn't think much of that either though I think that was just that I didn't enjoy his style of writing. I definitely won't be reading any more from David Baldacci.

Murderson (The Edmonton Police Station Thrillers Book 2)
Murderson (The Edmonton Police Station Thrillers Book 2)
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not particularly eloquent, 26 July 2012
I thought the storyline was very good, but while the writing is far from inarticulate it certainly isn't eloquent. Had it been better written I would've given it 4* There are a few minor grammatical errors but not enough to distract from the overall enjoyment. I enjoyed the characters and would certainly read more from this author - wouldn't be willing to pay too much for the books though but then I'm mean when it comes to buying even my favourite authors ;-)

Spicy Tortilla! "An Erotic Novella Adventure Set in Christina's Restaurant of Ill Repute" (The Fiery Tongue Book 1)
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars Not amusing as I thought it would be, 26 July 2012
I downloaded this (when it was free) after reading a little online. I thought it was going to be an amusing spoof of 50 Shades of Grey but it wasn't. If it was meant to be it went over my head. I expected a lot more humour and not quite so much sex, there was no storyline apart from Antonio getting a job at the Spicey Tortilla Restaurant. The prologue promised much fun but the book didn't deliver.

Never Buried: Volume 1 (Leigh Koslow Mystery Series)
Never Buried: Volume 1 (Leigh Koslow Mystery Series)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, easy read, 26 July 2012
Initially I thought it was going to be much too lightweight for my taste but once it got going it was quite good. I won't set out the premise as others have done it probably better than I could. Nothing too taxing but enjoyable.

Hilda Hopkins, Murder, She Knit (Hilda Hopkins, Machine Knitting Serial Killer Book 1)
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars So so storyline, no interesting or likeable characters, 2 July 2012
At first it was quite enjoyable but went downhill after the first few chapters. It wasn't amusing or interesting enough to make it to 3 stars for me. The main protagonist isn't very likeable, thinking too highly of herself without good reason. She doesn't like anybody she's ever met and doesn't think anybody is as good at anything as she is. There are no other characters in the story enough to like or dislike so all in all not much going for it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2012 1:14 PM BST

The Red Room
The Red Room
by Nicci French

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked from the beginning, 1 July 2012
This review is from: The Red Room (Paperback)
This is the first Nicci French book I've read and judging by this one it won't be the last. It looks like I've found another 'must read' author. I don't think I need to lay out the the premise of the book as others have done it but would just say I was gripped I found it hard to put down and when I did I couldn't wait to get back to it.Well written and well paced. Someone here mentions the main protagonist and police bumbling round unable to solve the murders but that must be nearer the truth in real life than we'd like to think.

Fabulous Surfaces
Fabulous Surfaces
by Lynda Monk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Fabulous Surfaces (Paperback)
Just as it says, some fabulous surfaces to create. Some of the items Lynda creates are just beautiful to look at some are functional and beautiful. You can create works of art just for the sheer joy of making them or create wearable art, journal covers, bags to name a few. Some materials used in the making of items in the book are: bondaweb, tissue paper, transfer foil, kunin felt, dissolvable vilene. Go on treat yourself :-)

Touching The Void
Touching The Void
by Joe Simpson
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping - though not my usual fare., 2 Jun 2012
This review is from: Touching The Void (Paperback)
I received this book from my niece as part of the World Book Night event.
It's not a book I would've chosen myself but I found it gripping. Joe Simpson tells of his attempt with his friend; Simon Yates; to climb Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. It's a story of his remarkable grit and determination to keep going after shattering his leg. During the descent as well as the broken leg he and Simon had to contend with severe weather conditions, lack of food and more especially water. Joe finished the descent alone and where most people would've succumbed to the cold and need for sleep he determined to keep going even though he 'knew' he would die in the event; he'd decided it was better to meet death head-on rather than sit and wait for it to come to him. (Simon had also completed the last few days alone) Though there is a lot of technical detail surrounding the character of the snow covered mountain and the physical act of mountaineering this didn't really detract from the story for me; though I think I'd have given it 5* if I had understood a bit more. Even though I couldn't get a clear picture of some of it Joe describes well how difficult the whole business of mountaineering is and how harrowing was the descent this time. As indicated this isn't my usual fare, my favourite genre being crime/thrillers, nevertheless I'm glad I've read it and can recommend it. If you really do stick doggedly to one genre and it's not this, then perhaps don't get it, otherwise I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2