Profile for FRANCIS > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future
by Daniel H. Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, but the printer is horrible! The book is losing all its pages! ! !, 4 Jan. 2009
I like the book, a lot. But the publisher Marshall Cavendish used a horrible, horrible printer, CPI Bookmarque, in Croydon. The result is that after I bought the book for only one week, and read about 30 pages so far, but most of the pages I have read became loose and are about to fall from the book. I am sure that before I finish this book, half of the pages will be gone! Why a printer don't even know how to bound a book in decent way, can be given the job to publish this book is anyone's guess. But I think the normal reason is that they charge dirt cheap price, and no decent company can compete with them.

This kind of printer should be banned to be in the book business. Or readers like you and me will just waste our money. The publisher, Marshall Cavendish of course have a responsibility here. I will remember not to buy books from this publisher if they continue to use the same printer.

Oliver's Story
Oliver's Story
by Erich Segal
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Erich Segal - a true master !, 9 Aug. 2008
I have read The Love Story by Erich Segal, and I just love it. His writing is extremely witty, elegant, humorous in a natural way, and intellectual and highly entertaining. Most of the novels by most of the big name writers we read today, are unfortunately not entertaining at all. But Segal belongs to a class of his own. Although The Love Story is actually adapted into a novel from his own screenplay, Segal wrote a masterpiece with only 120 pages. After reading that book, I have bought Oliver's Story. I am really impressed! Having read about maybe a hundred writers in the last 10 years, I have found one simple truth: most of the writers do not know how to write a novel! And I am serious. I studied literature at university for 4 years, and I am always serious about literature.

I have read most of the popular novels in the last few years, things like The Horse Whisperer which moves terribly slow and tells story in a clumsy fashion, after reading the first 30 pages, you come across only 10 lines of dialog or you can jump over 50 pages at a time and I can guarantee that nothing happened and nothing worth reading in those pages; or The Book Thief, the writer cannot tell a story in a decent way at all and should be ordered going back to school at once; or The Kite Runner, which is about loyalty and friendship but that most important part of the story already finished at page 90 (in a book of about 350 pages) and then readers are forced to read all the marriage stuff which are unimportant and unrelated to the main plot... and there are more such big writers who do not really understand the secrete of writing.

But Erich Segal stands out as a true master in writing dialog and in building characters. There is not even one sentence in his book is rubbish. In comparison, most of those writers who accomplished those thick books of 500 pages or more are good at selling trash. There got to be their personal garbage they somehow managed to smuggle in a big way or else no one could have written that many pages when telling one simple story.

I also bought other of Segal's novels, like The Class, Only Love, Doctors, and Acts of Faith. I don't normally buy all the major novels of one particular writer, but I do with Segal. Because he is a true master when it comes to writing novel.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

1.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to read, 5 July 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
This book is very hard to read. The writer tried so hard to tell us the story from the point of view of a ghost, and tried very hard to be inventive, as some reviewers said. But it is NOT. In recent years, we have got the American Beauty which is written exactly the same way. This is a bad copy at that.

From the pure literary point of view, this is a bad book, because of these factors: the narrator is too remote, and unbelievable, the story is weak for the readers. It is anything but engaging. There is no urge in me when I turned the pages. If it is not for the fact that I paid for it, I would not go beyond page 50. So it is definitely not a page-turner.

The writer also tried very hard to give the book a mood of depression. But he was not successful at doing that at all. The impression from the story is first and foremost too remote and not engaging for the readers and it is that make the story irrelevant somehow. The book is full of interior monologue, narrative summery, character description that peppered with very little dialogue. There is a character summery almost on every other page in big fat letters which seems to tell people: remember this, you stupid readers! Throughout the book, you can see hundreds if not thousands classic examples that your teacher of literature at school have warned you not to make.

The sad thing is: popular novel is by no means good literature. That is a fact. The reason? Lots of them. At least some of them are: most of the people who read novels are either people who only care to read stories, or people who are easily satisfied by any literary story. And boy, they are patient! A book with such problematic magnitude can receive such tremendous review is beyond my belief. The publisher has not even done any decent work to eliminate the editing failure.

Do publishers really know what they are talking about? I don't think so. Don't forget, When Joanna Rowling (J.K. Rowling)'s agent sent her Harry Potter manuscript to 12 big publishers in 1996, they all rejected. So, who is the judge for a good novel, you people out there who can be so easily satisfied with any kinds of stories. And they needn't be good.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2010 10:40 PM BST

The Kite Runner
The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment !, 29 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Kite Runner (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the wonderful review by so many people, but what a great disappointment it turned out! The characters are so flat like cut-out paper, the story is predictable, the plot is dull, the language is so poor, it must be some kind of brain-wash side-benefit this brings to the readers, or they would not say things that totally out of place. I tried so hard in three weeks to finish it, on and off, but never passed page 65. And even that was so miserable. You people should go see doctor. And while I am at it, you should read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, or The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. So you will open your eyes, and get an idea of great work of literature! But this is simply a put-down.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2009 6:58 PM BST

Water for Elephants: A Novel
Water for Elephants: A Novel
by Sara Gruen

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Masterpiece !, 27 Jun. 2008
I finished the book in two days. And during the process, I almost forgot to eat, drink or even go to toilet. I have never ever done this in the last few years as far as I can remember, and I am a heavy reader. This year alone, I have bought 22 books so far on the Amazon alone. Among all the books of literature I have read, this one and the Glass Castle, are two books I like most. If I have to compare this book with other popular books like The Kite Runner, or One Thousand Splendid Suns, or you name it, this is a masterpiece deserve all 5 stars, while those I just mentioned are just garbage deserve only one star. I am telling you my true feeling. I am not a Polish as the writer is and I don't particularly like the circus. The only reason I like the book is because the writer is such a rare talent among all popular writers. Sometimes, some writers got lucky on their books because certain things they wrote fit the taste of the social phenomenon, but this writer is loved because her sheer power in presenting vivid and enchanting tales that you seldom see in other writers. What more can I say? A Masterpiece!

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Spencer Johnson

1.0 out of 5 stars The sickness of our time, 18 Jun. 2008
To reduce philosophy and literature to pieces of garbage is the main characteristic of our time, a dark age in belief. Absolute individualism, freedom, egocentricism are destroying the Western society have already show serious signs of all kinds of sickness. And this book and the phenomenon it created is nothing new, but really old: that people without direction but full of illusion have every reason to cheer about, when they see something like this to further draw their hearts to the darkness that refuses the light. I wonder how long this darkness and sickness will last.

The Poverty of Multiculturalism
The Poverty of Multiculturalism
by Patrick West

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-culturalism is death to democracy, 10 Jun. 2008
Being a colored person myself, I am strongly against the so-called multiculturalism or multirelious society. Democracy is slowly, but sure dying. And the murderer is no other than the Multiculturalism / Multireligion. British democracy, like that in the rest of the Europe, is being raped and poisoned by this Multiculturalism and Multirelision. We no longer can say anything without being fear for our own lives in this country, because we know what the fundamentalists or extremists are going to do with us - they hate our guts as that is the way they are brought up and they know no other way to live - hatred is a basic part of their lives. In the Western hypcratic society, this and anything else is allowed, all in the name of democracy.

The West is not built by other religion, it is built by Christianity. When other religion come to Britain to claim their territory, shall we just give them our country and say, PLEASE, do anything you want with us, as we are so democratic! The sad truth is: in about 50 years, you won't hear this democratic crap anymore, as you will only hear one voice of one religion which is by no means Christianity as it is already dying.

Democracy is a naked young woman. Without her husband, the Christianity, if she dears to go out to the jungle behind the bush, you can seriously worry about her fate.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2009 1:17 PM BST

Chinese Bilingual Bible (Blue Leather, Traditional Chinese)
Chinese Bilingual Bible (Blue Leather, Traditional Chinese)
by Worldwide Bible Society
Edition: Leather Bound

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who cares to end up in heaven, this is it !, 7 Jun. 2008
For anyone who cares to end up in heaven, Bible is the only book one has to read, and not just to read but to keep the holy word in one's heart and live by it. The Western church is dying, because we all have gone astray, we are not worshiping God in the church anymore. We are worshiping idols,human being, or simply Satan. Other gods have been allowed to come to the West which is forbidden by the Bible, and since then population who believe in other gods grow much faster than our own. Christianity is facing a big danger since it was born 2000 years ago - to die out in the West, at least those who believe in God and Jesus. It is time to go back to the basic and listen to God's word if you and I do not want to end up in hell. I don't there is anything more important than this in today's world.

The First Life of St.Francis
The First Life of St.Francis
by Thomas of Celano

5.0 out of 5 stars The meaning of life, 7 Jun. 2007
This book, and other books about Francis of Assis should be read by every human being, every young and old person in the world, if he or she cares about searching for the real meaning of life, not a life waiting to die and a meaningless life, but an ever lasting one with the fullest meaning.

Francis of Assis is such a great individual that he sets an example for all the human being after him, to show that life's true meaning.

Denmark (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
Denmark (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
by Collectif
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars the EYEWITNESS TRAVEL GUIDE books are the best !, 30 May 2007
I have bought a lot of tour guide books and none of them is nearly as good as the Eyewitness serie books. The Eyewitness Travel Guides are the absolutely best books of its kind ! I know this because I worked as a tour guide for many years ! I traveled to many countries and I know the places and the business pretty well. But the Eyewitness books are still very useful to me. That says a lot. Highly recommended to anyone.

Page: 1 | 2