Profile for TheRavingReviewer > Reviews

TheRavingReviewer (Yorkshire, England)

The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
The Angels' Share (Theatrical Version) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Roger Allam

3.0 out of 5 stars A well made film, with a morally corrupt storyline. X, 11 Jan. 2013
As I type, the Father and I have just completed the viewing of this 'film of one half'. This is not meant to make a mockery of the length of the film, but there are no twists or turns in this storyline and the main core of the story involves criminality in some of its lowest forms. Why is that modern day films, as long as they're made in a classic lower class suburbia, style, are allowed to forfeit the need for common decency?

Definitely worth a watch, but make sure to turn off your moral compass if you do. X

Sports Development: Policy, Process and Practice
Sports Development: Policy, Process and Practice
by Kevin Hylton

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear & Concise! X, 10 Jan. 2013
Clear & Concise, what more could you ask for?
My partner bought a few books for her degree studies, and this is the only one she wanted to keep. X

The Complete Animals
The Complete Animals

5.0 out of 5 stars Listened to it three times through! X, 10 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Complete Animals (Audio CD)
A must have for fans of the band! Bought it as a gift for someone, and they loved it! X

Schindler's List - Special Edition [DVD] (1993)
Schindler's List - Special Edition [DVD] (1993)
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful beyond Belief - A true Masterpiece., 20 July 2011
Schindler's List is the story of a War profiteer turned humanitarian warrior in war torn Poland. Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), the main character of the film, starts the war looking for ways to make money from it by means of selling enamelware to the German Army. He becomes very successful very quickly and becomes very well off over night. However, as the war progresses and the darker sides of the Third Reich begin to present themselves to him, Schindler begins to question his loyalty to fascism. In what is the probably the most striking moment of the film, Schindler is out riding with his Mistress when he is confronted by a hillside view of a genocidal cleansing of a local town. Supremely affected by this, he decides to take matters into his own hands. With the help of his Jewish collaborator Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley), Schindler begins to care for his workforce, whilst at the same time trying to keep the Jewish camp commandant Amon Goethe (Ralph Fiennes) unaware of his activities; Or at least paid off and happy.

This definitely isn't a film for the whole Family, far from it, but take the time to give it a watch and you'll appreciate the dark beauty found within. Filmed entirely in Black and white, except for one symbolic section involving the coat of a child that goes on to become a victim of the holocaust, the film is very distinct in its character. This portrayal of wartime Poland, a time and place full of wrong doing and deceived voyeurs, is deeply moving. This film adaptation of the book, and real life story, captures the worst and best of humanity. A personal favourite scene, Schindler's breakdown at the end of the film, is strikingly powerful and it has me in bits every time. A great Actor selection for the main roles, and a directorial jewel in the already bright crown of Spielberg's work, this film demands that you see it at least once, just to remind yourself that even in the deepest darkest places, light can still shine bright.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011), 19 July 2011
It is rare for a Film Critic to be so engulfed in his work, especially with the current climate of basic cynicism that exists in our line of work. However, I can honestly say, hand on heart, that this film had been on my mind ever since I read the last page of the book. How could any director or production company possibly hope to capture what is without doubt the best book of a generation? That is why I was so relieved, as I'm sure many Potter fans were when it was announced that there were to be two instalments of the film. I simply felt that there was too much within the book for it to be accurately and fittingly represented through the medium of film, but still I imagined it an insurmountable task.

When the film began I was looking for a critical standpoint right from the start, something I could point to and attack about the film. After thirty minutes of the feature, I became very aware of the fact that I hadn't taken my eyes off of the screen for the whole duration of the film to that point. At the end of the film I found the exact same thing, I was hooked. I was fully willing to accept the two major changes to the story that cinematography and time restraints had put upon it (yet again Neville's role was 'tweaked' and Harry could hear horcruxes all of a sudden). The production value was great, the Actor selection was perfect and mostly every scene was just as I'd imagined it (especially the King's Cross scene with Dumbledore). The ending was truly amazing and somewhat surreal.

After the film had ended, and the Director's name had flashed up on screen, I was overcome with the realisation that a chapter of my childhood was over forever. This hit me like a high speed train and I suddenly I found myself distraught over the conclusion of the works. As I descended the stairs of the screen room, all at once the desire to stay in the cinema had me slowing down. Then, I knew it for certain, they had done it; they had taken the audience into the World of Magic and at the same time captured the darkness that is the base of the film. For months I had thought that my favourite films were well defined, set in stone and would never be changed by the World of Cinema again. This was a tragic and cursed thought for a long time but, thankfully for a Critic, this masterpiece has shook my cynical World up and restored my belief in the brilliance of film.

On a personal note, and somewhat out of character for myself and others of my profession, I would like to thank everyone involved in the making of this film. Thank you to all the Directors of the series, thank you to all the producers of the series and most importantly thank you to Mrs. Joanne Rowling for shaping me as a person. The Muggle World will never shine as bright again, but the memories of magic and wonder will never be forgotten. Whether you're a reader of the books, a follower of the films, or an escort for your loved ones you will never fail to appreciate the beauty of this film. It's the end of an era, and this book will never be forgotten, but it is time for me to grow up. Thanks for the memories.

Mulan  [DVD]
Mulan [DVD]
Dvd ~ Barry Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars Mulan - The Most Underrated Disney Classic, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mulan [DVD] (DVD)
Mulan is a film that'll warm your heart. Set in 4th Century China, during the invasion of China by a Hun Army, the film explores the exploits of a young woman (Mulan) who secretly joins the army in her Fathers stead, at a time when it was forbidden for a woman to fight. If she were found out, it would bring the ultimate shame upon her family. As with the main character in mostly every Disney film, Mulan is confronted with a number of problems along the way and must overcome them to do her duty, and save not only her Father's honour but her country too.
When people think Disney, more often than not they immediately voice their praise for the likes of Toy Story and The Lion King. This isn't to say that they're bad films, quite the opposite, they're fantastic films and deserve the respect they get. However, their commercial success does overshadow other Disney works that were equally fantastic and Mulan is one of those films. Mulan is a film about overcoming the hardships and stereotypes associated with you and showing the World who you are. Thats why this film is an underrated Disney classic, and is a must see for anyone who can appreciate the beauty of Disney.

For Love of The Game [DVD] [2000]
For Love of The Game [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Kevin Costner

3.0 out of 5 stars For Love of the Game, 17 Jan. 2011
This American Sports Romance classic explores the life and times of veteran baseball player Billy Chapel (Kevin Costner) in what proves to be his last game in his beloved sport. Like many other of his films involving sporting prowess (American Flyers, Bill Durham and Field of dreams), Costner brings a certain edge to the role that keeps you interested, especially when coupled with flashbacks of his romantic past. This is a fantastic film with a great film core, reminding us that it is never too late to achieve greatness and discover what you truly want from life.

Anyone who enjoys sports based films will find this entertaining, but so will those that appreciate the rocky road of relationships; especially when matters of the heart are coupled with the exterior pressures of a profession. This film is a great journey and definitely a Costner classic.