Profile for Martin J. Foord > Reviews

Content by Martin J. Foord

Martin J. Foord (Maidstone, UK)

by Alastair Humphreys

4.0 out of 5 stars Moods of Future Joys: Part 1, 15 Feb 2010
Moods of Future Joys: Around the World by Bike - Part 1
You don't always get what you want for Christmas, so I logged on to Amazon with the intention of buying Mark Beaumont's "The Man Who Cycled the World." With the book finally at my fingertip I was steered to the work of Alastair Humphreys by a fellow reviewer and bought this book instead. Do I regret this decision? I will not know until I catch up with Mark. Did I enjoy Moods of Future Joys? Yes. Humphrey's descriptions of the lands he passes through and the people he meets are what this book is all about and the book is entertaining and informative, but never boring (unlike parts of his journey). Towards the end of the book his sense of humour is more apparent as he becomes comfortable with his writing talent. I hope this is continued from the start of his second book "Sunshine and Thunder." As a cyclist I would have liked a bit more information about the actual cycling. How did he obtain Sponsorship from Specialized? What bike did he choose and why? How do tyres cope with thorny bushland? How did his bottom cope without padded shorts? Cyclists like to know these things. Like a bike ride, this book took me on a route I hadn't set out to follow, but just like a bike ride I am better for it.