Profile for Wayne Robert Campbell > Reviews

Content by Wayne Robert C...

Wayne Robert Campbell

Page: 1 | 2
Championship Motorbikes 2013
Championship Motorbikes 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Unintentionally awesome., 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Championship Motorbikes 2013 (App)
My initial reaction to this game had me beaming and grinning like an idiot. The word joy springs to mind.

I could not believe how hilariously terrible this title is. I laughed my butt off whilst continually making vocal statements of disbelief to my girlfriend as I played.

Onto the highlights!

Sound: Cheesy 90's techno music that features only one sound in a midi palette.
Motorcycle engines that sound like they run on 3 or 4 flatulent bees
A nitro boost that sounds like those bees followed through.

Graphics: They look like the screenshot! Except that the background moves around pretty slowly. Seriously...the wheels remain static, the spokes are still in place and the bike is faintly hovering off the ground.

Gameplay: ...see other reviews, I cannot sum it up any better.

So why 3 stars? Because I was lucky enough to have gotten this as the free app of the day, otherwise I'd be pretty annoyed if not for the fact that I got a free laugh, my girlfriend did, too, and I'm sure I could get a few laughs out of friends if I hadn't deleted it off of my kindle already.

Colony Attack
Colony Attack

4.0 out of 5 stars Game changing elements have made the game fair., 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Colony Attack (App)
This is an excellent Player versus Player title.
A recent update has finally given this game balance instead of favouring players that have already had a chance to become powerful.

The new leagues system has been introduced, separating players into categories that insures you can only fight with those close to your experience range. No longer can top level players bully newcomers into having the game become unplayable.

However, this new system is in a trial run, the high level players mostly don't like it. Press the heart icon to give feedback, showing your support to Colony Attack to make sure the new changes stay.

Talking Tom Cat 2
Talking Tom Cat 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashed my kindle., 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: Talking Tom Cat 2 (App)
Wouldn't load past the developer logo. Froze my kindle horribly both times I attempted to load it. Both times resulting in me having to force shutdown and reboot.

Just glad this was free or if be pretty annoyed.

Survivalcraft
Survivalcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars Barely touched it, but..., 30 May 2013
This review is from: Survivalcraft (App)
Barely touched this game at all and I'm already (for the first time this quickly) give this a 5 star review.

I have Minecraft Pocket Edition (and still love it) and I'm going to assume a lot of you considering buying this are wondering if it's worth it.

This doesn't quite play out the same way as Minecraft PE, there is more of an emphasis on survival, although it does have creative more.

The immediate differences between this and Minecraft PE -

MC is set in a more fantasy landscape, SC is more real (but blocky) world.
This game has really beautiful graphics and weather
An abundance of animals that have very authentic AI making them behave as they would in nature.

Crafting is a lot more complex, you can't just go to craft and one click.
You have a 2x2 grid (3x3 when you use a crafting table) that you arrange materials on into a shape to craft the item. Example, placing 2 sticks, 1 above the other in a vertical panel, with the top one being cobblestone = stone shovel.
Don't worry about getting stuck, the game has a recipaedia that tells you what things are and how to make them.

There's downloadable content from the community, block textures and whole worlds.

Also evident off the bat is that there's clearly a lot more content in this (as of now) than Minecraft PE.

I won't say it's better than MCPE, I think they're both great. This is a very amazing effort from the developer and worth the purchase.

Monument Builders: Notre Dame de Paris
Monument Builders: Notre Dame de Paris

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest Review, 27 May 2013
First off I'd like to say that I'd personally give this 3.5 Stars, but it does deserve 4 (maybe more).
This is based on my personal gaming taste, though, and I feel that it has the potential to appeal more to other gamers.

On to the review.

Monument Builder: Notre Dame has great appeal for the casual gamer, successfully touching on a few unexpected features that the description (above) doesn't quite elaborate on.

Mentally challenging as you progress through the introductory levels of the game, finding yourself in the midst of pure, quick-thinking logic puzzles, that aren't overly complex unless you want to succeed quickly enough to earn a gold star rating on each level (that unlocks little bonus gems)

A quick glance of the map on each level will give you time to decide how best to obtain resources, construct materials for the Notre Dame cathedral, or upgrade/build facilities to meet your objective.

Each level has the building master assign you a list of tasks that must be achieved in each stage.

The game features some nice cut scenes, charming character designs, and is unexpectedly highly educational.

The game does a nice job in rewarding players for their success, motivating them to continue their progress to complete the monument.
It is pleasing to see the various stages in construction occurring, and to open up bonuses that show a nice CGI rendering of Notre Dame's features, from the famous rose window, to it's towers.

This is a title that you can definitely lose track of time when playing.

To the puzzle/logic gamer, yes, this is a worthwhile investment at only 99p.
Those interested in history or Notre Dame itself will be very pleased.

If you're looking for a city building/construction simulator...this isn't it.
Although it does contain elements of this genre, it doesn't offer complete freedom in creativity.

The only standout fault I could find with this game was probably more of a result of not being able to put it down for a few hours. I felt that it could get a little repetitive, until I left it alone for a while and found myself enjoying it all over again.

It is a shame this game hasn't been reviewed already.
If (like me) you tend to avoid purchasing games that haven't been reviewed, you could definitely spend that tiny 99p price on a LOT worse.

If any of the above appeals to you, do bookmark it or give in to the curiosity to support an independent developer with a lot of potential.

Doodle God
Doodle God

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine months ago, won't work now, 6 May 2013
This review is from: Doodle God (App)
JoyBits created a truly fun title that is worthy of revisiting now and then after you're done with it.

Today was such a day for me...

However, I can't go rating this game any higher than 2 stars in it's present state. It needs an update.
As soon as you reach the menu screen it'll inform you that "Doodle God has stopped"

I've tried restarting my kindle fire HD, I've tried removing the app and downloading it again.

I'm very disappointed. This should be a 4.5 star title, in my opinion.

1 star for the current and unplayable state this game is in now
A 2nd Star representing that I had liked this game when I got to play it.

I'm annoyed that I've paid for this and can't use the product. It wasn't expensive, but it's beside the point.

For now I'm forced to warn customers to avoid purchasing this game, as it is broken.

As soon as JoyBits takes the time to realise that there is something wrong and launches an update, I will revise my review and encourage developer support. But as it stands there is no game to review.

The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality over quantity - eager for more, 4 May 2013
I was glad to find that this title isn't a simple 'escape the room' type game, as the title gave that impression. Thank you Amazon reviewers, I may not have tried this game if not for your helpfulness.

I'll start with the only negative points that I found with this game. The duration was short for the (affordable) price of the title, in comparison to other great games that are available for less. However, this is the first game from an independent developer and this minor peeve is soothed in realising that contributing means likelihood of future development. Quality over quantity, and 'The Room's has quality in abundance.

It does leave you wanting more, but there is little in the way of replay value once you've managed to solve it. However, there is definitely plenty of that when you hand your kindle to a friend or family member and watch the wheels turn in their head, marvelling at this beautiful gem.

Those downsides are not enough to prevent me giving a sincere 5 star rating.

The Room is a beautiful game with surprising levels of intuitive genius. A seamless blend of a cliffhanger mystery with wonderful, unique puzzles.

As a previous (and very helpful) reviewer pointed out, this game does summon feelings of nostalgia in harkening back to the days of 'Myst'
Two very different titles, yet similar in the way they draw you in with their clever use of beautiful ambience in the visuals, music and tempting the pursuit of the burning question, "why?"

The Room does a wonderful job of ensuring that you feel a sense of elation and reward in every little baby step towards solution. The most minor solves bring rushes of excitement, whether it answers something you were previously stuck on, or rewards you with elaborate unfolding transitions of the curious devices.

Wonderful job, Fireproof.

Support this developer, now.

Galaxy on Fire 2 HD
Galaxy on Fire 2 HD

4.0 out of 5 stars I got to be what I wanted to be when I grew up., 1 May 2013
This review is from: Galaxy on Fire 2 HD (App)
This title isn't perfect, but it's flaws are easily overlooked.

If you're looking for mind-blowing plot and character depth, this isn't it. The plot seems to pay homage to classic sci-fi cliches in abundance, but that's not to say it's terrible. The plot centres on protagonist Keith T. Maxwell, a Terran (human) that finds himself flung decades into the future at the other side of the galaxy after his ship is damaged in a dogfight with space pirates. From here it's down to you on deciding the pace of the game.

There's enough to do in this "open world" galaxy as soon as you're done with the introduction/tutorial missions.
Follow the plot in a sequence of missions (that will open better possibilities and equipment), explore the star systems and get a feel for commodity trading prices across the galaxy to make cash, mine for resources on asteroids, fight space pirates, form allegiances in galactic wars between factions, upgrade your ship out purchase new ones, hang out in space lounges at stations and take on missions, or collect and manufacture various items that are unavailable at space station hangers by finding and purchasing blueprints from traders.

The only downside to this if anything is that it can be a little repetitive after a time. I'm not sure if that's a limit on the developer's end or if it's simply because I can't seem to play for less than a couple of hours per session.

Regardless of that, it is a fantastic space game. Gorgeous graphics, a nice variety of ships, weapons, commodities and customization.
Feels fantastic to play on kindle fire HD. Turn out the lights and play, touch screen controls and user interface really let you live out those childhood dreams of being an ace space-faring fighter pilot.

Controls are nice, simple and touch operated.
By default there will be a touch joystick in the bottom left of your screen (don't worry lefties, you can flip the controls to suit your hand orientation) and additional buttons on the right.

I didn't like the touch joystick very much. That might be because I'm bad with it, didn't realize the handling on my first ship was poor, or all of the above. However, you can set the steering option to utilize the kindle fire HD's gyroscope, hold the kindle in place at the options screen in the position you want to be neutral, press ok, to calibrate it.

The motion control works like a dream for me.

Great game, excellent value for money, numerous hours of enjoyment. Well done, FISHLABS.

Skype
Skype

1.0 out of 5 stars shining example of corporate greed, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Skype (App)
Once upon a time there was an awesome instant messenger and chat client called Skype. It was a little known gem when MSN was the normal means of doing so.

Eventually people realised that MSN was terrible and converted to Skype. This angered the nerdy little man with far too much money, and as such be made the pioneers of Skype an offer they could not refuse.

Mr Gates and his Microsoft empire of evil obtained control of Skype, and systematically made it worse and worse over time, but still useable.

Sadly, had it but been for Captain Richpants we probably would have had a beautifully running application. Microsoft can't even get their own software to run as it's meant to...what hope is there for our wonderful android operating system on our beloved kindle? Shame on you Bill Gates.

Jurassic Park(TM) Builder
Jurassic Park(TM) Builder

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually good for a freemium game., 28 April 2013
This review is from: Jurassic Park(TM) Builder (App)
Normally I avoid "freemium" titles like the plague. Generally they follow a format of frustrating players with lengthy waiting times or putting up barriers that can be overcome by harassing friends to join or paying premium price to cut those corners to make any progress.

It'd be a lie to say that this title doesn't do any of that at all, but it's definitely far less guilty of it than other freemium titles I've played before.

Yes, it does start out very slow and takes a while to get anywhere, but you're not forced to ensure that you log in or risk losing progress in the game. Dinosaurs and buildings generate coins and can be collected immediately as it earns them, instead of making you wait until a set time has elapsed (which is very nice)

Having friends play does have benefits, making research and evolution cost less or giving you a gift each day. But lacking friends that play alongside you will not hinder or prevent your enjoyment by any means.

This is an addicting title (coming from someone that generally hates these type of "free games") and is worth a look at if you like dinosaurs or create your own whatever type games.

It's not perfect, it does have a few negatives and some of the optional purchases for "bucks" are more expensive than they should be, but this really is a great game...so much so that I didn't mind making a few of those optional purchases.

It's free after all...what could it hurt to try it out?

Page: 1 | 2