Profile for Blackflower > Reviews

Threads [DVD] [1984]
Dvd ~ Karen Meagher
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic , and horrific., 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Threads [DVD] [1984] (DVD)
I first saw most of this film in 1985 when I was 10 on T.V.

I had no idea what I was going to watch.
I had no idea what nuclear war was. My mum must have been out of the room because she was very strict about what we could watch .I made it to about a week after the bombs dropped , and was so deeply disturbed I couldn't continue. I had nightmares for years , every night I would close my eyes to go to sleep and would see mutilated burnt corpses , half burnt cats , fried babies and bandaged victims in burnt out rubble with blood seeping through the dressings from their melted eyes .

I also developed a childhood phobia of orange sodium street lights (which was from the color of the light in the Kemps house during the fire storm, I worked that out years later lol).

To be honest , Threads is a bit dated now (technically in relation to the special effects), and when I watched it as an adult, about five years ago, I was surprised how tame it seemed in relation to my childhood memories.

That said its still an amazing testament to the horrors of nuclear war, and in my opinion still a very underrated film.

Not one for the kids , but an great film to understand late twentieth century nuclear paranoia .

A visual piece of our history.

SNUB [DVD]
SNUB [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gary Mavers
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars Great to watch if you've just smoked crack....., 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: SNUB [DVD] (DVD)
You could describe this as a"film" and abuse the meaning of the word , but "visual abortion" might be a better description . It has an appalling scrip, utterly idiotic plot, and the acting is unbelievably bad. Its one of those bargan bin films thats almost worth watching simply because its so bad.

There's nothing about this film that makes sense . For example, when the Nuclear bomb goes off we see a shot of a London bus on a bridge getting hit by the blast wave , the bridge starts to collapse and break up with the help of some really poor CGI, but the bus just drives on unaffected until its enveloped by the explosion. The bus , and the cast should have fallen in to one of the nearest plot holes , at least that would be logical.

Why did the prisoners become zombies? Who told the various unbelievable and lame characters to go to the bunker? Didn't the producers , or anyone else think that having "Semtex" written all over the supposed nuclear bomb was a bit ridiculous?

That said you could always play some kind of drinking game while watching it ,and get increasingly smashed every time a Z list actor is introduced who's had a crappy bit part in an episode of "Holby City" or "The Bill"....

Memories Of A Color
Memories Of A Color
Offered by gowingsstoreltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect...., 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Memories Of A Color (Audio CD)
This is one of my favorite albums of all time .It has quite a Jazz kind of vibe , and although I'm not a fan of most Jazz or Jazz inspired music , this blew me away back in 1995 when I first listened to it , and I still love it now.

The simply beautiful "Another Story Girl" has to be my all time favorite songs by Stina or anyone else , and the rest of the album is just wonderful too....

This Woman's Work
This Woman's Work

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but essential......, 27 April 2010
This review is from: This Woman's Work (Audio CD)
Going far ,far back , to Christmas 1993, I was working in a branch of Our Price when I found this box set .
Alas,they only had the cassette version (which I didn't want)and no one could get me the C.D box set , so a friend copied the B-sides C.D onto tape for me .

Suffice to say I loved it , and was (expectantly) blown away. I would pay the cost of this box set just to hear the track "One last look around the house" (from the film "When the wind blows")it's amazing....

Unfortunately, apart from few tracks on the remastered B-sides on the re-released remaster of "Hounds of love" , this box set is the only way to get your hands on the extra material from kate... All I can say is if you have the money buy it!

It would be amazing to be able to get the B-sides and extras C.D from this box set , without buying the albums I already have , but I'll still be getting this when I get some cash , I can't live without her music ,it's always worth it , and that's all that needs to be said ....

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Can you trust Mesh Computers?, 13 Feb 2008
I contacted Mesh Computers directly over two weeks ago with some simple questions about this compuer and the Iiyama monitor. I was told that the monitor was "Full HD" ,that it was 1080p ,and "The best screen on the market you could buy".I was also told if I upgraded the DVD drive to a Blue-Ray one I would be able to watch Full HD Blue-Ray disks at 1080p,on the system.

This appeared to good to be true, so I asked them to email me the specs FOUR times , but never got said email. After calling their sales dept three times to be rudely fobbed off ,I was told I would have to "go google the infomation myself" as they didnt have it. I went away and reserched the Iiyama monitor myself , to find out it was actually 1080i , and not the best avalible by far.

I finally called the company back and asked to speak to a supervisor or manager , so they could explain why they missled me and had been so rude .I was eventually put through to someone in the "technical dept" (who I didnt want to speak to) left on hold for over twenty minuites . The guy returned and agreed it was only 1080i, was very rude indeed , and hung up befor I was put through to a manager.

This company has a very wierd attitude, considering I was almost going to shell out £1350 pounds (with upgrades)for a new p.c from them .(I wasnt bothered if it was full HD or not , I just wanted to know what I was buying!) I'm very dissapointed because I really wanted this system , by after reading endless bad comments on forums about Mesh computers awful sales department and customer services(Including negative reviews from the BBC Watchdog program), I feel I would be stupid to buy anything from them .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2008 2:23 AM GMT