Profile for Richard Douglason > Reviews

Dvd ~ Jeremy Sumpter
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.83

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed up 80's 90's Nerd Heaven, 24 Aug 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sasquatch Dumpling Gang has a similar combination of slap-stick off-beam comedy to Dodge Ball, while never getting quite as intentional about the 'funnies' as Anchor Man. The film manages to hold your attention throughout via some intriguing characters and intelligent editing.

Basically a teen movie, Sasquatch manages to broaden its appeal by straying from the boy meets girl formula. Add to this the pic and mix geekery of both 80's and 90's and you have an interesting (if slightly demanding) viewing experience.

I watched this with my other half (not as keen on juvenile antics and the like) but we both enjoyed it. Overall this is well worth a watch - and mayeb even a purchase if you are a fan of the cast.

Sony PSP Media Manager Pro 2.5 (PC)
Sony PSP Media Manager Pro 2.5 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Media on the go - PSP Style., 6 Aug 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My PSP has largely been used as a games machine. More recently in fact it had been left on the shelf. It was with some interest then that I spotted Sony PSP Media Manager Pro 2.5. This packaged promised to turn the PSP into a media hub for on the go music, video and photos.

The packaged is well designed and very easy to use, even for a novice like me. I was a little suprised at first that I needed to buy some extra bits and pieces to get going (standard USB device cable, a Memory Stick Duo to store the media), but once equiped it was more than worth the outlay.

Once installed it was a simple as dragging my media files from my PC hard drive onto my PSP via the software. Other packages I have used ask complex questions about formats and destinations. This is handled for you here. Bravo! The Quick Start guide was also well written and answered any questions I had.

I did found that with extended use the PSP battery often died before I had finished. This was easily solved by purchasing a spare battery. A bit more outlay but again worth the results.

Overall I recomend this to anyone who wants to use their PSP for more than games, without the fussing around with third party software. This package in the business.

Wario Ware Inc. Mega Party Games (GameCube)
Wario Ware Inc. Mega Party Games (GameCube)

4.0 out of 5 stars Itsy Bitsy, Tiny Weeny, 9 Sep 2004
Wario Ware was first released on the GBA last year, and prooved to be a totally adictive original experience, well suited to the portable GBA format much as Tetris was for the original Gameboy (for those who remember).
Wario Ware now materialises on the GameCube. Which opens up the format to multiplayer split screen fun. Where players compete in any of 200 mini, five-second games. Each game is easy to understand and play, often just hitting the A button to make Wario eat a hot-dog, or hammering up and down on the D-pad to bend a spoon.
With a graphical style all it's own, and enough games to keep you and your friends busy for hours, this is going to proove a popular party game.

HP iPAQ H2210 Pocket PC (English)
HP iPAQ H2210 Pocket PC (English)
Offered by pdarepair
Price: 295.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Another new world, 2 Aug 2004
I have had about a years exposure to Protable computing devices such as the Palm Tungsten E and this Hp offering.
A few months a go I traded in my palm for the ipaq. The reason being that I wanted wifi option and more power for games and other applications.
The change has been nothing short of meteoric. I would recomend getting a wifi card as I hadn't realised how much difference a wifi connection would make to how I use the device.
Here are some of the things I now get upto with my newfound ipaq friend:
- Reading and sending email in real time
- Viewing BB film trailiers on the loo!
- Listening to worldwide radio anywher in my house
- Listening to MP3's (I've now also sold my minidisc player).
- Playing old Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island etc
- Playing Arcade games on mame
- Recording live audio
- Having a sync calandar and contacts where ever I go
- Chating to friends on messenager in the lounge
- Keeping up with the Papers (guardian unlimited is great!)
- Having my photo's and movies with me all the time.
All in all, this has been an excellent purchase. One worth shopping around for as prices seem to vary greatly.

Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Lost in Translation [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars (re)freshed relationships, 5 July 2004
A film that plays with your expectations of screen relationships and how they develop. It exquisitly and subtely challenges the viewers values as the plot tension is unusually resolved.
But at a level deeper than "does he doesn't he", can be found the issue of how a two people can connect with each other and find comfort together.
As they walk a delicate line of intimacy and sexuality. So that you are left thinking, are these two playing out the part of lovers or parent and child.

Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb
Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow SD Card, 5 July 2004
I have enjoyed using my Tungsten for many months. One word of warning though. Transfer to an SD card can be very slow (10-20 k per second). I found this prohibative when copying large image files to the device.
The real player seems to get around this, as copying mp3's via real to the sd card is an awful lot quicker (thanks goodness).
Apart from that this is a great bit of kit. But it is worth knowing that this aspect of the device seems to fall below the high standards of the rest of the product.

Northern Lights (His Dark Materials)
Northern Lights (His Dark Materials)
by Philip Pullman

4.0 out of 5 stars Pullman Rowling, 5 July 2004
I had hoped that this trilogy bay fill the void left after finishing the Lord of the Rings. Having heard Pullman compared as a modern day Tolkein, I was expecting something on a par (and to soem extent similar) with his world.
Having read this first book, I realised this is more like a Harry Potter than a Lord of the Rings book. This of course is not a bad thing at all, and I think in many cases the world that Pullman invents is more compelling and grown up than that of Rowling.
Although not yet gripped, I enjoyed the book alot, at times getting absorbed in it's world. Partilularly the idea of the daemons.
I am looking forward to reading the second in the series, and see how things develop.

Paint Shop Pro 8
Paint Shop Pro 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay any more?, 4 July 2004
This review is from: Paint Shop Pro 8 (CD-ROM)
I had cut my teeth in the world of pixel pushing on the Amiga with Deluxe Paint (for those who remember). I had long intended to find a package to use on the PC and had expected to shell out for Adobe Photoshop. But after using Paintshop Pro at work I discovered this covered everything I would want to do.
You can achieve pretty much any aspect of digital graphics from vector constructions to photo touch up to web site graphics.
Now in version 8 this package is really coming of age.
I'm happy to recomend this and at the price it's a bargain.

HP iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC (Silver & Black)
HP iPAQ rz1710 Pocket PC (Silver & Black)
Offered by Doll-Computer
Price: 796.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole new world, 20 May 2004
The change has been nothing short of meteoric. I hadn't realised how much difference a wifi connection would make to how I use the device.
Here are some of the things I now get upto with my newfound ipaq friend:
- Reading and sending email in real time
- Viewing BB film trailiers on the loo!
- Listening to worldwide radio anywher in my house
- Listening to MP3's (I've now also sold my minidisc player).
- Playing old Lucas Arts games like Monkey Island etc
- Playing Arcade games on mame
- Recording live audio
- Having a sync calandar and contacts where ever I go
- Chating to friends on messenager in the lounge
- Keeping up with the Papers (guardian unlimited is great!)
- Having my photo's and movies with me all the time.

SimCity 2000
SimCity 2000
Offered by Eur@Play
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sim City 2000: Gardening on the Move, 6 April 2004
This review is from: SimCity 2000 (Video Game)
Having followed this series through it's many incarnations I have enjoyed creating (and destroying) goodness knows how many sim worlds over the years.
I was first hooked on it's very first outing on the Amiga, a good 15 years ago. And alot of that original formula remains. You have control over the environment of the city, of amenaties, of land planning etc, of city spending on emergency services etc. And dependant on how you do, sims will move in or out of the city.
What has got alot better since the original is the level of detail and variety of builds you can have in you town. Special buildings abound as do the choice of buildings for you key services, from police, fire, schools to hostipals and prisons.
Another past time I have developed since playing Sim City, is statisticion. There are a wonderous array of graphs and stats to help you guage what is going on in your land. And you can spend hours just picking through these.
All in all a great game. I could compare it to gardening on the computer, there is always another little corner to prune and get right in time for the next fiscal year.
Go on, treat yourself to some quality time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5