Profile for Richard Douglason > Reviews

Content by Richard Douglason

Richard Douglason (Exeter)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God)
The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God)

4.0 out of 5 stars RSG, 10 Feb. 2004
Here we are with book three in the series (which we are told is an addition to the originally planned five books) and things are starting to get really exciting. As before to read this is to join a project that is well underway, having built up a good head of steam and now plunging ahead.
Having found the first two books personally ground breaking and formative, this volume came more as a steady building on established themes than breaking fresh ground. Which was no bad thing as I found myself firming up on some ideas introduced a few thousand pages ago in the series.
Being an additional volume has meant Wright has had space to write an exhaustive review of Resurrection thinking and thouroughly formulate his own rendering. Whilst this did at time bog me down, the effort to finish was well worth it.
In particular Wright paints a clear picture of what Ressurection really is, and why it mattered to Jesus. I found myself discovering what I had hoped for about life after death in unlikely places. Ideas originating back to the first century, forgotten or at least covered over (for me) until now.
And again I find myself in posession of more tools to know and discover Jesus on the ground and why ressurection matter to him.

Jesus and the Victory of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God: v. 2 (Christian Origins & the Question of God)

5.0 out of 5 stars JVG, 10 Feb. 2004
As mentioned in my review of NTPG, reading this book is like joining a train that has by now built up a considerable head of steam, and travelled some distance. Building on the work of NTPG Wright now turns his gaze to questions specifically about Jesus. And in doing so starts to paint a picture of who is was and what he was wanting to achieve.
Again for me this was another time of personal epiphany for me as I discovered for the first time a Jesus who seemed real and understandable. Meeting a desire that had stirred in me since more ephemeral encounters with God and, I presumed, Jesus had in church.

The New Testament and the People of God: 1 (Christian Origins & Ques God 1)
The New Testament and the People of God: 1 (Christian Origins & Ques God 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars NTPG, 9 Feb. 2004
Having joined the journey a few years ago, I discovered that the train had left the station some years back and had already gathered a good head of steam.
This book, and in fact the series to date, has been a personally enlightening discovery for me. To find someone doing such a thourough job to hand me a clear picture of life, thinking and history at the time of the new testament was nothing short of amazing. As Wright pieces together not only the times, but ways to understand those times and make good sense of the data, I find myself with the tools needed to know and discover the Jesus that I had previously only experienced intangibly.
The beginning on such a massive task feels much like starting out to write a tale as grand as the Lord of the Rings. But this is one hughed in different tones and devices. The story goes on by clear and balanced scrutiney rather than narrative and description. But is none the less compelling to read.
As someone unused to such academic books, I devoured this and couldn't wait for more. Which thankfully there was, and plenty of.

O
O

4.0 out of 5 stars I can't take my ear off of you, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: O (Audio CD)
"I can't take my eye's off of you" These lyrics had stuck in my head and some deeper place, after a breif listen in Virgin. Something stuck with me. I hadn't felt moved like that since hearing Round Here (Counting Crows) for the first time.
It didn't take very long for me to return and buy the album. Once home, I found the rest didn't dissapoint. Both in continuing to delvier emotion on that level, but also in challenging the listener to some more difficult tracks.

Fallen
Fallen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Fallen, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Fallen (Audio CD)
This is an unusual purchase for me. I'd normally plump for the storied tones of Counting Crows and Damian rice. But I have been enjoying listening to this as something different.
If you are reading this, I guess you know roughly the sound of Evanescence. But having listened more long term to their sound and songs, what comes across is a committment to honesty, with lyrics and vocals that paint a picture marevllously. Something connects with me at a level I haven't felt for ages.
This is worth a purchase, as it is not very often you can listen to some people being themselves, and doing so in such a moving way.

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Books, 9 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
I had not really planned to read this book there and then, when I first browsed the first few pages in the middle of the day. But I was almost unable to stop. Grabbing minutes between bits of work to read another chapter.
I was struck by the warm detail of the lives I was reading. The breeze of the summer air that filled the pages. That it felt as if this telling of this tale had come from some other place. A place of clarity and hope, with a softley spoken wisdom. Telling about family life and trauma and survival and love and youth.
I would say, buy this book, then read a chapter and find yourself intoxicated too!

Life Of Pi
Life Of Pi
by Yann Martel

5.0 out of 5 stars The book you have already been recomended, 8 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Life Of Pi (Paperback)
That this is an intruiging read is beyond doubt. It's popularity gives this away. And the fact they you may already have been recomended to read it by one or friends will by now added to it's allure.
However, what is it about this book that I could pass on to give you some insight.
It's the combination of topics well presented, all of which stike a cord with me, that mean it was great fun to read. Religion and Zooology, Stories and Truth. The care of the writing about these and the book as a whole makes it desriving of a careful read. In fact I think I should revisit it again to make suer I haven't missed something.
I think more than anything was the fact that is was a book that stayed with me for weeks after finishing it. That would make me another person who would recomend it to you.

Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb
Palm Tungsten E Handheld OS 5.2.1 / 32Mb
Offered by pdarepair

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tao of Palm, 26 Jan. 2004
Being new to the world of partable computer gadgets, I was unsure how useful I would find this. But the idea of being able to enter text on the go was enough for me to buy a Tungsten E. And at the price I didn't have alot to loose.
After using it for about a month I am most impressed. Being able to write and read emails then simply sync to send is great, my wife also loves this as I usually hog the computer in the day for work.
The amount of free and shareware software was also a great benefit. As the palm has been around for so long a healthy community of programmers etc has produced thousands of pieces of software.
Then the other day, I got around to adding an Sd card and trying out listening to mp3's and agian on this count I was impressed at the ease and quality of it's use.
All in all a great product. High production values akin to that of Apple.
5 Stars

The Man Comes Around : The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash
The Man Comes Around : The Spiritual Journey of Johnny Cash
by Dave Urbanski

5.0 out of 5 stars The Man Comes Around, 5 Jan. 2004
If we have been fortunate, we all have someone like Johnny Cash in our lives. Call them what you will, inspiration or idol, hero or icon, there is something in us that is invigorated by following someone great. To find someone who embodies not only what we would like to be ourselves, but also struggles with the same things, is to find something rare and valuable.
This book is about one of these people. As it takes you on a journey through his life, it's alsop ainting another picture, of a man who was one of those people that it is good to follow. It's pages resonate with identification and awe at the life of Johnny Cash. It describes how he embodied something that was attractive to millions of people. His up front honesty, his times of depression and trial, his grappling with faith and life. And all this played out through the songs he sang.
Whether you are an out and out fan or just an intrigued outsider, this book takes you on a journeyt hrough his life, so that you get to find out a bit more of what was behind all those recordings.
Well research and well written. An enjoyable read that will get you thinking about, and listening to, an old friend, sadly departed.

How Movies Helped Save My Soul: Finding Spiritual Fingerprints inCulturally Significant Films
by Gareth Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars Switch on to a world of Films, 11 Dec. 2003
It is not as I feared. This book doesn't look to find nuggets of truth in films, or to claim films as having a specific religious message. Rather it revels in the human art of "moving celluloid pictures, illuminated by light, telling stories". Encouraging us to dig a bit deeper, to engage with what we watch when the lights go down and to consider what we have just been through when the credits roll.
Higgins suggest, early on in the book, that to engage with films we need to develop our own language and categories to make sense of them. This way we have a handle to think and talk about our films more constructively. It's the sort of advice that makes good sense, but that I would not have thought of myself. I also found it revealing about the types of films I watch, that there are certain films I avoided, leaving gaps in my language. After Higgins advice I plan to start filling these over the coming months.
Higgins then uses this idea to structure the rest of the book. There is a chapter on each area of his categories. Each one introduces it's theme (e.g. brokenness, fear, quest) before looking in detail at some films he puts in it. For further reading there is then a "primer" section that briefly suggest other films that could be viewed in the this area, before that chapter is concluded in "the wrap".
Although I don't think Higgins is suggesting that we pick up his language and use it directly. It is very useful to see how someone else does it, to enable us to start thinking along these lines ourselves. Along the way he enthuses about hundreds of films, that provide good fuel for the fire.
This is a book that I expect to return to as I watch more movies. Whether to see what Higgins says about them, or to see where he would put them in his language, or to find other films to watch along similar lines.
All in all a useful and thought provoking book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5