Profile for Dolly > Reviews

Delia's Cakes
Delia's Cakes
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Delia's Cakes (Hardcover)
So enjoying this book. I really like the photos and design. Have now purchased some of the Delia and Silverwood Tins and also the special Bake o glide liners.I had not used these before and they are excellent. Just give them a quick wash and so less fiddly than those big packs of throw away liners. The ones with the cut out folds to fit the tin are amazing. The kids have had a go too. Can highly recommend. Also watch some of the web site videos to go with the book. Very easy to follow and beautiful, simple camera work.

A Room With A View
A Room With A View
Offered by westworld-
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: A Room With A View (Audio CD)
I really meant to write this at Christmas when I purchased the CD but just remembered when I was reviewing something else.
We had an original copy of this score when the film was released but it had practically worn away with use - so I treated
myself at this bargain price to a new one. Just love it and love to annoy the children trying to sing along to the opera
with my totally appalling voice in the car. Great film, great score.

Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart
Offered by EagleDVD
Price: 13.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Saturday night viewing, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
We all loved this. We came late to Miranda. Sometimes - in our crazy full on household - we do miss really good
TV series and then mean to watch on the Iplayer but it never happens. So upon great recommendation I purchased
the DVD. We were hooked and spent the entire evening watching series 1. Saving up series 2 for this weekend.
Just fab.

Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book says my mother, 23 May 2008
I am typing this as dictated by my 73 year old mother. I have my own copy of Delia's new book - she has been looking at for a good few months now and then asked me to get her a copy. She has cooked all her life for a family through all stages young and old. She is now on her own but still does lots of entertaining and has the grandchildren to stay. So this is her view of Delia's new How to Cheat at Cooking (the 1971 version still on her shelf).
'It is fantastic to see how Delia has realised how so very many people, singles and families are desperate for help right now. The strange food obsessed world we live in gives such mixed messages to all age groups/varying stages of affluence/knowledge. There are a good few other cooks who I admire (Nigel Slater and Jamie in particular) but I ALWAYS come back to Delia - especially when I want to be really, really sure it is going to work. The most important point here is QUALITY. Lots of people have misinterpreted what Delia has said. Over and over she has tried to get across that QUALITY is the key. I trust Delia, millions of people obviously do. She is the highest selling cookery book writer in the country. So when some of the small time chefs and others writing on this board protest (without knowing their facts) it makes me very angry.
I don't want to rant on like a crazed old lady!! But I so want to encourage people who may have been influenced by some of the nonsense reporting to just GIVE IT A GO. I have eaten beautiful meals prepared by my daughter (and am starting myself now) from the book and television. The pastry cases are a WOW -
as good as my own. The casseroles are wonderful. Puds easy peasy and yet taste so very, very good.
So please if you have looked at these messages - just ignore the One Star folks. They have obviously
1. not got the book. 2. not cooked from the book. 3. not eaten from the book.
Plus having read many newspaper reports
1. Delia obviously does not benefit finanacially from the foodie ingredients
2. The goods in cans/jars are not full of preservatives.
So one old biddy is signing off for a large glass of cold white wine and the delicious Spanish Pork Stew which my daughter, children and friends have prepared for supper tonight. We will gather around the table and share good food which has been prepared easily and using excellent ingredients. Isn't that just what Delia set out to do?' Get 'real' people not foodie fanatics around the table eating and eating well. Goodnight all.'
On that note I best serve up the pud - the brilliant pancakes with sour cherries - before she carries on!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 7:16 AM BST

Price: 13.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a help for 'real life', 29 Mar 2008
I grew up on 'Delia' food and can see exactly now what she means in the book introduction. I've had the book for a few weeks now and started cooking the recipes - unlike it appears some of the people who have commented here - so very, very judgmental without actually getting to grips with what I think Delia is trying to do and giving it a go themselves. All it seems to me is that Delia is trying to help us mad crazy women with a family and home to run to put tea on the table night after night, week after week, month after month. We have all fallen down the ready meal/takeaway trap too often - and I know this only too well because I am one of the people who is being truly honest about what we produce for tea every night. I have always tried to do the best for my family but sometimes with a full time job, young children, elderly parents and home life I don't always succeed. Isn't it great that someone we trust so well - ie Delia - has done all this great research for us. I don't have the time to trawl the supermarket shelves to find the best tomato sauce - but Delia has done it for me- and yes I have purchased it and we all loved it. No different than reducing a tomato sauce myself - which on a a busy home night just isn't possible. The casseroles are brilliant. Food is such a snob issue nowadays - all we are looking for is a tasty home cooked dinner each evening and if we have had a spot of good quality help achieving that all the better. All my close friends agree - go for it Delia and ignore (which I am sure you do) all those 'head in the clouds' comments I've read here tonight.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2011 10:07 AM GMT