Profile for Elizabeth S. Lingjaerde > Reviews

Content by Elizabeth S. L...

Elizabeth S. Lingjaerde "elingjaerde" (Oslo, Norway)

The Signature of All Things
The Signature of All Things
by Elizabeth Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, intelligent and valuable, 3 Oct 2014
I have been a super fan of Gibert since Eat Pray Love and Committed. This book is very different, yet it is her typical light, beautiful, poetic and highly intelligent prose. I feel she is my soul mate, which is what a great book should make you feel. Besides, all her books sparkle off thoughts, ideas and views upon the work and life in general that will make you even more curious, pondering, thinking, exploring on your own. This is a brilliant book, with a brilliant message from a brilliant author! I live in Norway, surrounded by a huge variety of moss in the forest where I live. My walks will never be the same.

Granite Island: Portrait of Corsica (Penguin Classics)
Granite Island: Portrait of Corsica (Penguin Classics)
by Dorothy Carrington

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 19 July 2014
Maybe the best travel book I have ever read. Carrington is a very intelligent, educated and brave observer of every detail, present and past, in Corsica. I have never been there, and am SO happy I read this book ahead of any future visit to the island I know now that has fostered the first democratic movements in modern Europe. (!!) I just wish she could have been a bit more personal. Of her own feelings we get to know little. She is a professional traveller, with a humble, tolerant and very loving eye and heart. They even get away with murder in her eyes! Because, murder is part of our destiny since megalithic times. She manages to intervene values, beliefs, fears and fights for life into the culture of modern man. The story of Corsica, told this way, is the story of humanity, in its shadows, passions, corners and islands. The essence of something - everything ?....I feel like going there, meet her ghost in the ruins of Calvi, with Tao. I want to hear those songs she heard, the tangos, the way they talk and walk. I want to see those valleys and mountain spears, and swim in her coves and beaches. I want to drink eau-de-vie with her in a Sartenais cafe and observe the vendetta ridden teenagers as they cautiously pass us. And, I want to read it again and look up every word I did not understand, because her English is very rich and beautiful.

Diplomatic Baggage: The Adventures of a Trailing Spouse
Diplomatic Baggage: The Adventures of a Trailing Spouse
by Brigid Keenan

5.0 out of 5 stars funny and very self ironic, 19 July 2014
Witty, funny and very self ironic. I loved it! Especially since I have been an expat myself, and recognize the travelling free lance dilemma, struggling with the same problems as Keenan when she happens to be at the right time, at the right spot, and nobody home seems to care. "We've done our hunger story this year...". She is great company!

Wabi Sabi Simple: Create Beauty, Value Imperfection, Live Deeply
Wabi Sabi Simple: Create Beauty, Value Imperfection, Live Deeply
by Richard R Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, 27 April 2010
I love this little book! The philosophy of Wabi Sabi is deeply rooted in nature's own rules. This is one of the books I keep as my little brickstones, useable for anything, and it keeps all grounded, balanced and beautiful.

The New Rules of Marketing and PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs, News Releases, Online Video, and Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly (New ... & PR: How to Use Social Media, Blogs,)
by David Meerman Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY USEFUL, 27 April 2010
I am a professional PR consultant and free lance journalist with special interest in new media. I found this book very inspiring, practical and intelligent. The message is clear and packed with real cases. The author's web page is showing how the proof is in the pudding, and implementing this in my own work is rewarding. It is however quite difficult to convince old management of these new rules, but how to reprogram old thinking is however another topic that needs another book. I highly recommend this book to anyone working with PR, marketing and information.