Profile for Bram > Reviews

Content by Bram

Bram (North East England)

II (Deluxe Cd)
II (Deluxe Cd)

4.0 out of 5 stars Back and slightly different, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: II (Deluxe Cd) (Audio CD)
A bit more middle of the road than Moderat I but as you should expect from these three producers quality craftsmanship all the way.
There are a couple of attempts at 'pop' music that are really quite good 'Bad Kingdom' being the first and forays into building techno work outs like 'Milk' and euphoric sweetness best displayed in 'Versions' (my fav track).
Since LP I the influence of dubstep and bass music seems to have changed into a more refined almost nostalgic sound with Moderat using vocal samples underneath the beat much like John Talabot did on Fin - for better or worse - and it fair to say while there's no Seamonkey or Rusty Nails there's much here to enjoy.
Tuck in.

Eight
Eight

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the club, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Eight (Audio CD)
From the lengthy excursions on Deadbeats last LP Drawn and Quartered Monteith has moved to a place where the tempo has been jacked for a deeper set of tunes to trip out to in a club or equally on a hammock.
Production is excellent as you'd expect from the man and helped along with some well known figures from the dubby tech scene.
It's not a great departure overall in style just brilliantly executed.
Fans of Basic Channel, Monolake, Beat Pharmacy and the Echocord label check.

Tango N' Vectif
Tango N' Vectif

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time great, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Tango N' Vectif (Audio CD)
Independent underground electronic music doesn't get much better than this.
If you own Authechre, Aphex Twin, The Black Dog etc but not this you're missing out.
An early 90's classic for sure. Elements of warehouse, breakbeat, rave and mad off key vibes make Mike Ps 1st LP a must.
Believe.

Off The Record: Limited Gatefold Edition [VINYL]
Off The Record: Limited Gatefold Edition [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Patchy but often rewarding, 22 Mar 2013
The most consistent solo Bartos work I think but there are of course some moments when I winched to myself "Karl if you insist on signing do it through a vocoder !!"
But when he's on form and I'd say that's about 3/4 of this album it's a very good experience. The production is really good on most tracks, some tunes would sound ace in a club if edited by a DJ any day of the week. Some of the slower tunes are good as well. I know the skeleton of most tracks are based on old ditties but it's a grand effort non the less.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 1:20 AM GMT

Corksucker (Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets)
Corksucker (Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets)
by Dan Fante

5.0 out of 5 stars His fathers son., 1 Jun 2007
John Fante was a great writer and I was delighted to find out that his son Dan is also a master of the written word.

I've only recently discovered Dan's books (after I'd read his fathers terrific Bandini novels) but what a find and I think 'corksucker' is a great place to start reading him. A collection of excellent short stories connected by a cabbie with a drink problem this thin volume kept me reading and wanting more (I re-read it straight away).

Grotesque characters, brutal honesty and graveyard humour are the order of the day. Forget Bukowski, Fante is the man to read!

Somewhere Along The Highway
Somewhere Along The Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars One of last years best!, 7 Mar 2007
I bought this because I like Isis and heard favourable things about them. At first I had trouble with the vocals (rasping distorted death esque) but got hooked by the music straight off. Some tracks clock in at 10 and 15 mins long but how I wish they would go on!

It does have traits familiar to other artists who tread the same musical ground but COL have enough passion and muscle to make them stand apart from their contemporaires. This is Dark hypnotic stuff which for me fills the void between early Entombed and Interpol. Strange but true.

Pink
Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Exremely loud and incredible, 7 Mar 2007
This review is from: Pink (Audio CD)
After listening to Sunn 0))) and finding them to far out for me I checked out there 'altar' album with Boris which (although very drone apart from the sublime 'sinking bell') I liked a lot. The next logical step was to tune in to Boris and 'Pink' has not dissapointed.

This album opens with a phsycedelic blast that's sudective and righteously heavy and the tracks only get more intense as 'Pink' progresses.

It's a bit of a mix of styles from slow and spaceous rock to tight up tempo punk all of which have been recorded at a really high level which gives this longplayer the honour of being the heaviest/noisiest album in my collection (its like standing next to the amp at a live gig)

I like Kyuss, Melvins, My Bloody Valentine, Part Chimp, Mogwai, Steve Albini and Boris sits well amongst those names. Recommended.