Profile for deadteddy > Reviews

Content by deadteddy

deadteddy (Bridgend)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Lenovo G50 15.6-Inch Laptop Notebook Black (Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, DVD-RW, WLAN, Bluetooth, Camera, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1) - with Free Windows 10 Upgrade
Offered by Laptop Outlet UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic But Capable, 25 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Aesthetically this laptop is a little short on detail, it has quite a plain, matte-black finish, the only exception being the screen border where we are treated to a glossy black finish. There are however some touches of style, the finishes on the lid, screen surround and keyboard surround are all slightly different. I actually quite like the look of it, sparse, maybe, but also simple and clean. The build quality seems good, it does feel plasticky but then don’t most of them? There is a little bit of flex through the frame but nothing that feels worrying.

On first boot-up you are going to have to register Win 8.1 and then there will be some set-up to go through. There are only a few steps and they are straightforward enough. Once you’ve done that you will probably find that there are plenty of updates for you to download and install, this will take a little while but it is well worth doing. Another thing to note is that while all this is going on there is a good chance that the laptop will not be running at peak performance, this is especially true of the first few boot-ups as your laptop fully updates, this is nothing to worry about. You will probably notice that you can upgrade to Win 10, this is a free upgrade and you can upgrade at any time. I have not upgraded as of yet, I wanted to review the laptop as it comes out of the box. I will be upgrading to Win 10 shortly and will write an update when that has happened.

You are going to find a fair bit of bloatware on this laptop, Lenovo have put quite a few of their own bits and pieces on here, there is a free trial of Microsoft Office and you will find McAfee on here too. Most of these are easily deleted if unwanted and/or can be ignored.

The keyboard and touchpad are both good, they feel responsive and comfortable. The keyboard feels well spaced, and the shortcut keys at the top allow for quick access to certain settings, I found the keys for changing the brightness very handy when changing rooms and lighting conditions. I did find the keys on the keyboard to be a little bit springy though, but that is only a minor thing. The screen is great, I’ve had no issues while watching videos online or browsing the web. That said, I don’t play games so haven’t put it through it’s paces. The sound quality is good, it produces a good clear sound and is certainly loud enough for my needs but this is after all a laptop and as such is never going to win any awards for sound. If you are going to be using this as your main media source or relying on it heavily for music etc, then the advice as always is to pick up some external speakers or something akin.

The laptop has plenty of connections which I’ll quickly list.
VGA port, HDMI port, Ethernet port, 3 x USB port (1 x USB 3, 2 x USB 2), Audio Jack, Card Reader (SD, MMC) and CD/DVD Writer. Pretty much all the basics covered, plenty of USB ports is always handy. I did find the button to open the DVD drive to be pretty fiddly at times, another minor annoyance.

This is a gutsy little laptop, it’s running an Intel i3 processor and for all the usual stuff it runs like a dream. Browsing, videos, streaming, social media and office applications all run smoothly and without issue. Multitasking has also been no problem for this machine. Please note that I don’t really play games so I’m not sure how this laptop would handle gaming. I did do a little bit of video encoding with this laptop too, this is something that I usually only do on the desktop as it can be quite intensive but I thought I’d give it a go. While not up to the performance of my desktop machine, I found the laptop to be no slouch, and definitely up to the job. I am really quite impressed with how this laptop has coped and performed, especially when you take into account it’s price. The most amazing thing about all of this is that through all it’s use it has maintained almost pure silence. Honestly, if it weren't for the screen being on you would wonder if the laptop was running at all, sheer brilliance. I would say that the battery life is about spot on, with fair use you’ll get the 4 hours, possibly a little more, run it hard and obviously that figure will drop some.

When you take an overall view of this laptop it’s hard not to be impressed. It comes in at a very competitive price and is definitely a laptop that can. For your average user this laptop is going to be more than enough, and yes, maybe it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles and lovely curvy bits or bits that flash, but that is reflected in the price and what you do get is a laptop that in my opinion is very capable.

Silentnight Washable Pillow, Pack of 4
Silentnight Washable Pillow, Pack of 4
Offered by UK-Bedding

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Pillows At A Good Price, 24 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This set of 4 pillows offers really good value and I’m glad to say that these are a quality set of pillows. I’ve been using them for about a month now and have found them to be more than comfortable whilst offering plenty of support, especially for my neck. The pillows arrived plump and springy and it has to be noted that they have held their shape very well this last month, although I’m sure in time they will lose a bit of their plump.

The pillows are of a standard size and should fit pretty much all pillow cases (70 x 45cm). The cover is 100% polyester microfibre and the filling is 100% hollowfibre, this means the pillow is machine washable, which is always a plus.

For the money, I really don’t think you can fault this set of pillows. Good pillows at a good price.

Blue Orange Chickyboom Game
Blue Orange Chickyboom Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Game, Good Game!, 8 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Blue Orange Chickyboom Game (Toy)
Age - 4+
Players - 2-4
Time - 10 min

First off I want to say that the components and production of this game are second to none, Blue Orange Games have knocked this out of the park. All the pieces are nicely made and are solid wood, they are also fantastically coloured, this really helps bring the game to life and makes it very tactile, especially for the younger players.

The game itself is as simple as they come. You take it in turns removing pieces from a balanced perch without making the perch fall, each piece has a score value. Whoever collected the most points wins. Whoever made the perch topple is deducted 5 points from their score. That really is it.

I like this game and the kids did too, they were instantly attracted to the pieces and had fun playing the game. There is some educational value in the game but I don’t think that is this game’s strong point. It’s strength, which is it’s simplicity, allows everyone of all ages to be involved very quickly, the game plays very naturally. The game is very easy to set up and play, it plays in a few minutes and you can have numerous games in a very short period of time. The problem is that there really is little to keep the kids coming back, because of it's simplicity there is no real longevity in this game, so although it was easy to get them playing for a bit, it didn’t really hold their attention, for the youngest of children this may not be such a problem, I was playing this game with kids aged 6-12 and a few adults (old kids).

All in all it’s a good game, easy to play and teach, and has fantastic components. There is a lot to like about this simple game. Only 4 stars though because I don’t think it’s really got any longevity in it, which is fine as long as you know that going in.

Benetton Energy Man Eau de Toilette - 100 ml
Benetton Energy Man Eau de Toilette - 100 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent EDT, 23 Sept. 2015
A fantastic EDT, fantastic smell, fresh and fruity with a soapy-clean scent that really works particularly well in the summer months. I really do love this scent, nice fruity, almost sweet top notes with a base note of that clean soapy scent. I wouldn't say that it is particularly long lasting, it's about average, but that's not a deal breaker. The bottle is nice, good quality. This is a really good EDT and worth a try.

AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Set, Dark Red, with 2 pillowcases
AmazonBasics Everyday Double Duvet Set, Dark Red, with 2 pillowcases

5.0 out of 5 stars Duvet? Yes they do., 23 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this set, the colour is nice, it’s 100% cotton, and it was made in Portugal. I find it comfy to sleep in and it looks good on the bed, the pillow cases are of a good size and on the whole set the stitching and finishing was to a good standard. When I first got it I ran it through the washing machine, amazingly there was almost no colour bleeding at all. If you’re looking for a no-nonsense duvet and pillow set then you’re in the right place, I don’t see how you could go wrong. The fastenings on the duvet are buttons too, which I personally much prefer to the usual poppers.

Quality, basically.

Institut Karité Paris Shea After Shaving Balm, Milk Cream 250 ml
Institut Karité Paris Shea After Shaving Balm, Milk Cream 250 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Soothing Balm, 14 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I’ve been using this aftershave balm for about a month now and I have to say that I really like it. The one thing I will mention is the smell, the scent of this balm is not particularly masculine or strong and is quite reminiscent of moisturiser cream, the scent is still clean and fresh though, I personally have no issue with the smell but I know it won’t be for everyone.

So, in the bottle you get 250ml, which is a fair amount, especially when you consider that you really only need a hazelnut sized amount, this balm is going to last a fair while. The balm itself is a good consistency, a little bit thinner than a moisturiser, and it applies to the skin really well. I found the balm to be cooling and soothing (no stinging) when applied and left my skin feeling really good, which is exactly what you want. I also suffer with a bit of eczema and dry skin and I found that this balm did not irritate my skin in any way. Once applied there is a slight greasy feel but this quickly disappears, the smell is also not very long lasting, which is perfect as I usually finish up with a dash of aftershave.

Overall a really good product that does the job that it’s meant to and doesn’t cost a fortune.

MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Raspberry
MaxiNutrition Promax Lean Definition Protein Shake Powder 990 g - Raspberry

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product but the taste is not going to be for everyone., 27 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, it's going to be hard to really provide an accurate review of the benefits of this product because of the time limitations, I have been using it now for a little under a month. That being said, I have been using the protein after my sports sessions mainly as an aid to recovery, in this respect it has been working great. It really has done the job, the next day my muscles are definitely in a better place and are not as sore as when I don't have the drink, that is always a good sign, so I have little doubt over it efficacy in this respect. The powder mixes very well in a shaker-cup, and the final consistency is also really good.

As well as a good dose of protein you are also getting, B-Vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B12), L-Carnitine (amino acid), Caffeine, low in sugar, and each batch is also screened for banned substances which would be reassuring or a consideration for anyone at competition level.

I did want to mention the caffeine as while this is beneficial for focus and energy levels it can be a bit of a pain if you have late workouts, as drinking this after is certainly not going to help you settle down to sleep to soon after, at least that is what I have found.

The final thing I wanted to say, and really this is the only real gripe I have, is that mixed with water it was undrinkable for me. The sweetness was too much and honestly I couldn't finish it. Thankfully if you mix it with milk instead then it tones the sweetness down and becomes a much better flavour and a lot easier to drink. The raspberry flavour was also very nice, had no problems with the flavouring at all.

So all in all I'm really happy with this product and look forward to seeing the results over a longer period of time.

Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue
Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue
Offered by Annova (UK) Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Sounds Good, Not So Comfortable., 11 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not bad looking although maybe a bit chunkier than I would usually like, especially for on-ear headphones. I do like the bits of detail, the honeycombing on the ear phones is a nice touch and does make them a little more interesting on the eye. Construction is purely plastic, but you'd expect that from a budget pair of headphones.

Because sound is the most important bit, right?
The sound quality on these headphones is good, I listened to a variety of different music on them and I have to say that the overall tone on these headphones is a natural one, they are not particularly biased towards bass or high end and ultimately give a balanced sound that has a good amount of detail. When the music required some bass the headphones responded but never gave me an overload on bass (which I find a lot of headphones can do these days) which then sacrificed the detail. I much prefer my sound this way, I'm not a fan of the bass heavy headphones. Some may argue that these headphones are a bit tinny or lacking in the bass department but I have not found that to be the case at all, but if you are looking for a pair of headphones that are bass heavy then maybe these aren't the ones for you.

These headphones fold to make them easier to store or pack in a bag and travel with, on that front they are pretty handy when you're on the move, the flat wires are also handy as they tend to tangle less. The problem is that because of the way these headphones are designed to fold I never felt they sat properly on my head or felt particularly stable or comfortable. Any movement would also result in the headphones moving around and I had to spend a lot of time readjusting the headphones to sit properly over my ears and because of the joint in the middle of the headband I didn't find them comfortable on extended listens because the joint would stick into the top of my head and cause it to ache.

All in all these headphones are good quality with good sound and for most people will do a fine job. I would advise caution if you have a smaller head, want to wear them when being active or really want headphones that pack a lot of bass, in those instances maybe you should be looking elsewhere. It's a shame really because with a few tweaks they could have been a really good budget pair of headphones.

Philips S738/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer / Body Groom
Philips S738/17 Series 1000 Click and Style Shaver / Beard Trimmer / Body Groom

3.0 out of 5 stars A Decent All-rounder, 4 Aug. 2015
Design & Appearance
When I first saw this shaver with no heads attached I couldn't help but think that it looked like a joystick that was missing it’s base and when I held the shaver it also felt exactly like having a joystick in hand (ooh, nostalgia). The grip was comfortable, ergonomic, and of a nice size for the hand, it is also quite light without feeling cheap, if that makes sense. The whole thing feels well made and robust. Granted it’s not going to win any beauty awards, but it’s simple stylings and touch of red trim certainly leave it far from being ugly.

Beard Trimmer
I have to say that my primary reason for getting this was for the beard trimmer and I’m glad to say that it performed admirably. Not only was the handle comfortable to grip in many positions but more importantly the trimmer cut easily and consistently, leaving a nice and even trim. You can change the length on the trimmer to cut from 1mm to 5mm by simply pushing the button across, this is much preferred to the usual having to change trimmer guards. I took my beard from roughly 5mm to 1mm, and as I said, found the cut to be very good. Once I had trimmed, I removed the trimmer guard and used it to shape and tidy up the edges, again I found that it performed well. Once done, cleaning was very simple and quick, just pop the guard off and push up on the blade and the section comes off allowing for quick and simple cleaning, you can even swill it under the tap. Now for a shave.

So I’ve trimmed my beard to 1mm, I swap the beard trimmer head for the shaving head - this is simply done by just clicking the head out and clicking the new one in - and I use a little shaving foam and water to prepare my beard. The shaver is a floating twin head and so should allow the blades to contour with your face. I found that on the face it performed well and gave a pretty close shave but on the neck it struggled to provide an even or consistent result, although I will say that the fact you can use water and foam with this shaver did make it a comfortable shave. It did provide a satisfactory shave but it did leave me a bit underwhelmed in this department, it was also a little tricky to get into some of those hard to reach places. Again I found the grip on the handle to be good. Cleaning is again a simple task as you can take the top off the shaver head and swill or clean as desired.

Body Groomer
The body groomer worked a treat, I trimmed a few patches and found that it worked quickly and effectively, better than I had actually thought it might. It dealt with longer, shorter, fine and thick hair equally well in my opinion, leaving a smooth if not perfect finish. You do also get some trimmer guards for this so you can alter how long you want the cut and they also seem to work although not as well as when there is no trimmer guard. Again the cleanup was simple thanks to the way the head is constructed.

Final Thoughts
So all in all I think that this shaver is a pretty good bit of kit. The battery charges quickly and gives you more than enough juice to do all the shaving you could possibly need, and I've used this shaver quite a bit over the last few weeks. The major plus points for this shaver really come down to some little bits of clever design. The ability to switch the heads means that this is really 3 shavers in 1 and does make it a versatile and useful bit of kit, and I have no doubt would make a perfect travelling companion. The fact that you can use water to rinse and clean, use foam to shave and can take the heads partially apart for cleaning all help make this a really useable and practical product. The beard trimmer and groomer met and exceeded my expectations. My only real gripe is that the shave could have been better, considering that this is a shaver, that’s kind of a big gripe. 2 out of 3 ain't bad though.

Olfa L-1 All-Purpose Heavy Duty Knife/cutter with a Snap-Off Blade
Olfa L-1 All-Purpose Heavy Duty Knife/cutter with a Snap-Off Blade

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cut Above, 7 July 2015
Length - 15 cm
Width - Just under 3.5 cm
Depth - Just under 2 cm

This is, without doubt, the best utility knife I have ever used. It really is the business. It's hard wearing, is up to every task I've asked of it and is simply a well made top quality tool.

The blades are good and sharp, and when they do finally dull it's so simple to break one off and you've got another sharp blade ready to go. The handle is ergonomic and very comfortable to grip and is also surprisingly light and not too bulky, this means that you can hold this knife comfortably in a variety of ways and always be sure that you are in control.

The fact that the handle also stops short of going all the way to where the blade reveals is also a major plus, this means that whatever you are cutting is easily visible and not obstructed by any part of the knife, I know it may be a little thing, but it's those little things that literally make this knife a cut above.

The blade is opened and shut by using the locking wheel. You unscrew the locking wheel a little and the blade is then able to move, you can extend the blade to the length you want (be careful not to overextend, this is not advisable), then simply tighten the locking wheel and the blade is held firm. The locking wheel mechanism is really useful, especially when you need to make a cut of a specific depth. The only time I have found the locking wheel to be less than ideal is when you only need to make a quick cut, but that's a very minor gripe.

The knife takes 18mm snap-off blades, each length has 8 blades, 7 of which can be snapped-off when dulled. The final blade is the back blade where it is held in position, when that one is dull you simply change for a new length, and 8 new blades.

Changing blades is really simple, you just unscrew the locking wheel until it can pass backwards over the back-stop, remove the slider from the handle, remove the used blade, put a new one in its place and then slide it all back in and tighten the locking wheel.

The standard blades are good and sharp and can be bought in various size packs, remember that each blade has 8 edges, so 10 blades would really be 80.
Standard Blades -
Standard Blades -

You can also get the ultra sharp black blades, these are a little bit more expensive but are carbon steel, this means that they take a sharper edge and also hold the edge for longer. They are an excellent blade.
Ultra Sharp Black Blades -

If you are in the market for a new utility knife then look no further. Stanley knives, folding knives, and other OLFA imitators are not a patch on this knife. It really is that good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8