Profile for Dark Vader > Reviews

Tales From Acorn Wood: Hide & Seek Pig
Tales From Acorn Wood: Hide & Seek Pig
by Julia Donaldson

3.0 out of 5 stars Boy loves it, despite suspect story line, 24 April 2013
This is the second Tales from Acorn Wood book we have bought for my son. He is ten months old and is at the stage where lift the flap books are a real joy and he really loves doing it for himself. He has no problem with the book and enjoys the colourful images.

However I am not so impressed. The tragic tale of pig walking into a trap is more and more harrowing with each reading. I don't wish to give the ending away to anyone who has not read this, but as the last flap is lifted and you realise the fate of poor old hen and what is to become of pig, it leaves the more mature reader feeling truly horrified (picture "chicken in a basket" and you will get the idea). The terrified expression on Hen's face has kept me awake many a-night.It might as well have been called "The Wicker Pig".

Great for babies, but adult beware.

Batman - Earth One
Batman - Earth One
by Gary Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Batman Begins Again, but what a beginning!, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Batman - Earth One (Hardcover)
I bought this book based on some good review and I was a little sceptical. I Have read the origin of Batman almost as much I have read the origin of Superman. But in both book and film form this is the best. it even surpassed the wonderful Batman: Year One. The plot is excellent, it has it all. Great characterisation, great action and great suspense. It does that tremendously hard thing, reinventing character much beloved without betraying the them and still creating something fresh and exciting. Gary Franks art is some of the best I have ever seen, absolutely beautiful. Stunning in every aspect. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Truly wonderful stuff. Buy now! And is it just me but doesn't a major character bear more than a passing resemblance to Christian Bale? And not the one you would expect? Hmm.

The Shining [Import]
The Shining [Import]
Dvd ~ Jack Nicholson
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Blu Ray, 8 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Shining [Import] (Blu-ray)
I hate reviews on Amazon for films. I mean I like reviews of films, I just don't look for them on Amazon. No, what I want is a produxt review. I wan't to know if the Blu Ray is any good or not. I don't care if you think The Shining is rubbish. I wouldn't be buying this thirty year old film if I didn't love it. Rant over.

This Blu Ray is fantastic. If you love the film and have been subjected to the european version for these many years then I would recommend you getting this. It adds a lot of nice detail and fleshes out some scenes and details. This will work on Europenn blu ray players as it is region free. (I am reviewing the US blu ray by the way) It has all the same extras as the European version but for fanatics of the film you NEED to have this version.

Wonderful film. Wonderful version.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2012 12:12 PM GMT

Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
by Alan Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic end of a classic era, 19 July 2012
This is a wonderful book, I've read this hundreds of times since its first publication. It beautifully ties up the original Superman story strands and how some great ideas. Yes, its not as thought provoking as Moore's other work but it isn't meant to be. It's a superbly crafted story ending years and years of storytelling neatly and engagingly. The art is wonderful and who else could have finished this ear than Curt Swan. On a personal note it has my favourite Superman page ever..."He looked different, he looked like he'd been crying"
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 17, 2012 12:38 PM BST

Justice League - Origins (Vol. 1)
Justice League - Origins (Vol. 1)
by Geoff Johns

4.0 out of 5 stars Good clean fun, 29 May 2012
I am a long time DC fan, primarily Superman and this is my first dip into the new 52. I have mixed feelings about it after reading this.

Firstly the presentation is great, the pages are good quality and the layout is nice with some interesting extras such as character sketches and cover variations. The art is superb, really well done and stunning to view, the redesigned characters look wonderful, though for the most part the changes are slight and cosmetic. The only one I didn't like was a redesigned villain who I won't reveal for spoiler reasons, I thought the original design is much better.

Onto the story and characterisations which is the only slight weakness for this title. The overall story is good fun but with very little subtlety and nuance. Its basically one big fight, which is fine but I hope future volumes offer some more character development. I LOVED the new Wonder Women, she was surprisingly amusing and a very interesting take. Superman was the problem for me, he just didn't demonstrate the characteristics I expected from him, maybe its because I haven't read any of his reboot titles yet and maybe they will change my mind, but until then I will be slightly sceptical.

Overall I would recommend this title if you have some interest in the core DC characters and I look forward to future volumes.

Star Wars Attack On Hoth AT-ST
Star Wars Attack On Hoth AT-ST

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy boy!, 20 Feb. 2012
I ordered this for my nephew as being one of the few affordable Star Wars vehicles on Amazon, and it seemed a good value set. He is very young at 4, but he enjoys it. Sure a lot of the bits have good missing (helmets etc) but this is to be expected.
There were some problems getting it to stand up. I wasn't there at the time and being on Skype was on use. Two adults struggled for a while with it while the boy was able to stand it up pretty quickly. Just be aware it takes some fiddling!
Overall very good set with 3 figures and a BIG vehicle.

Jazooli Earphones/Headphones With Remote, Mic & Volume Controls For Apple iPod,iPhone,iPad

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, great!, 20 Feb. 2012
So far I have been really impressed with these earphones. I'm not sure whether they are official or not to be honest, but they seem of good build. I use them all day everyday to listen to the radio and so far (2 weeks) I have had no problems at all. The volume control doesn't click as pleasingly as the apple version but its a very tiny price to play for such a great saving. I'm sure they wont last forever (just like the official ones) and when they pack up, as long as its not next week I will buy the same again.

LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Nintendo DS)
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (Nintendo DS)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars good fun but buggy, 5 Aug. 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I was looking forward to this game as I love star wars, I it is great fun and a lot of the levels are great and well designed. However the return of the jedi levels are dire, the endor one being almost unplayable, I lost count the amount of time han fell off a log on a jump he just couldnt do, with the second characher behind unable to keep up. Also characters disappear or te camera angle changes so wildly you just cant see whats happening. That said, if you love star wars you will get a kick out of this, the bad levels aside, there are a lot of other great levels with many things to unlock.If you are not a stars wars fan or have little patience, stay away!