Profile for Nanaki > Reviews

A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations
by Daniel Fleisch
Price: 15.63

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY IT!!!!, 14 Mar 2014
If I could describe this book in one word.. it would be epic. This book explains Maxwells equations to you like you are a half wit. It explains gradient, it explains all the mathematics. It covers vector fields in an easy to under stand conceptual way with a nice 'heres the mathematics you need' flutter. I found this book and now everyone on my course owns it. Its superb

Quantum Mechanics, Fifth Edition
Quantum Mechanics, Fifth Edition
by Alastair I. M. Rae
Price: 29.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Fuzzy at times, 14 Mar 2014
Good book for getting to grips with a lot of quantum mechanics and is the go to book for many courses. Covers the topic brilliantly, gets concepts into your head really well and is quite rigorous with mathematics. However it does require alot of prerequisite mathematics. Other books I have read explain different functions and reasoning as they go along. I did not find that this book did that, so it lets its self down. Be ready to come un stuck with some obsolete trig identities you learn't a few years ago.

Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Frank Close
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Mar 2014
I love this entire series of books. They help you understand difficult concepts in a helpful way. I'd recommend everyone doing an undergraduate course in physics read the entire very short introductions series. Runs well along side an introduction to particle physics course with another book for the mathematics.

Relativity: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Relativity: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by Russell Stannard
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 14 Mar 2014
This series of very short introduction books has helped me get a lot of hard concepts in my head. Although there is not much mathematics in this book - kinda funny as relativity is written in tensors I'd recommend anyone read this just to get to grips with the basic ideas before taking a more rigorous approach.

Introduction to Solid State Physics
Introduction to Solid State Physics
by Charles Kittel
Price: 133.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Informative, 14 Mar 2014
This book is good as a reference guide, I would not recommend it for learning. If you are a student that has been told ' this is the course book ' and you study near Manchester then I feel your pain. My advice would be to avoid it at all costs. Alternative I am using is Solid State Physics - Hook and Hall - Manchester series. Down side is that it does not have all of the content that Kittel contains. If you want to learn something buy a different book, if you already understand the topic buy Kittel.