Profile for Ian R Thomas > Reviews

The Sun: A Biography
The Sun: A Biography
by David Whitehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the Sun, 12 May 2006
This review is from: The Sun: A Biography (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book a lot having got it after glowing reviews in New Scientist and the Telegraph. I find the criticisms mentioned below unfounded and hard to pin down.

The Sun - A Biography is a fascinating read and extremely well written. I checked the quote by Hobbes and Whitehouse does quote it correctly and he uses it intelligently. The chapter I liked the best was the one on the relationship between the sun and the earth and his comments on global warming made me think.

Whitehouse is clearly a science fiction fan and it was interesting to see references to science fiction books that have dealt with aspects of the sun, especially Ossian's Ride by Fred Hoyle.

I think "A Reader" protests too much with not much of substance to say. To make such vitriolic comments without having the integrity to use his or hers own name is disgraceful and I suspect an ulterior motive - am embittered and jealous rival perhaps? I notice that he or she says they read all of the book before they produced such an unfocused rant. We can draw our own conclusions.

As for those who read New Scientist not learning anything new here - what nonsense. The review in New Scientist was by their astronomy consultant and he said he learned a lot of new things, so did the professor who reviewed it in the Telegraph.

The details in the book are a delight and never less than illuminating and always used in a broad narrative structure that tells the story of the sun and all its aspects. This is not a textbook so I don't expect all the facts to be sourced or to be footnoted and I could not find anything that was wrong,

I found this book a delight and think that the fact that it is written in such an interesting way makes its treatment of the life of the sun as a biography a successful one. Not a conventional biography certainly but then it is not a conventional subject for a biography.