Profile for Andrew Shaw > Reviews

Content by Andrew Shaw

Andrew Shaw (Buckinghamshire, UK)

The Isolation Game
The Isolation Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Isolated to listen to this album, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Isolation Game (Audio CD)
After mind tricks I thought it would be hard to release a great album after, I was wrong. It's hooky but yet complex and being this album has a bit more focus on Claudio and Ettore's vocals and I thought it was definitely more amazing to hear but still liking Bjorn's vocal input. The instrumentation is a complete mixture of some songs having speed (no pun intended) and some songs having a beautiful soft instrumentals like glimmer. Though the use of joined vocals by each member on building an empire of dust, despite it's quite a decent idea doesn't suit this band as the vocals seem to lose harmony and fall out of place. This album is still a buy as Ettore's instrumentality has still done well for this album and hopefully for more album's to come.

Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light
Woods 5: Grey Skies & Electric Light

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to say goodbye, 7 July 2013
The first time I heard about this band it was in terror magazine which titled, the last interview which I found quite sad, so I checked the band out. I never heard such a beautiful message in buried in my entire life, then I wanted to check out more than one song so then I found this album but when I found out it was the last album they ever released it made me choke up.

It's hard for me to listen to this album just because it was 2 guys mainly in this and the lyrics were so inspiring but without whining about things, which showed me much about life. the one song worth listening to is Finality, it's short but sweet and the album artwork is beautiful. David Gold has from then on been one of my favourite musicians of all time.

Mind Tricks (Extended Version)
Mind Tricks (Extended Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars A melodeath album so underrated., 7 July 2013
The album is a good example of what one man can create all by himself and what Bjorn is hiding. Each track has something to offer you but despite all that, it sounds very In Flames like.

The cover of Mouth Of War by Pantera, I'm no Pantera (and it's not a sin to) fan but that cover is very mind blowing but the best track which offers me solace to this rating as a 4 is Ringside seat to human tragedy which brings me in because of all the vocals in this, especially Christian Alvestam's which raises my goosebumps and not a lot of songs will do that.

This album is a must buy, if one man will make this music then it's worth listening to.

Vic Firth 7A American Hickory Wood Tip Drumstick
Vic Firth 7A American Hickory Wood Tip Drumstick

5.0 out of 5 stars Must buy, 20 Feb. 2013
These sticks are comfortable to use, cheap for a good pear and quite tough (if you use them right.) obviously the start wearing away but all sticks do that but these will last much longer, These sticks in turn I would recommend to all drummers who are looking for reliability in playing and drummers who don't bash their drum kits like a baseball bat to a car window.

I definitely recommend them as they are a well known brand and very trustworthy on their make.

Mutiny Within 2 - Synchronicity
Mutiny Within 2 - Synchronicity

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album to come back to, but not the best of 2013 so far, 1 Feb. 2013
Such a brilliant album which was perfectly recorded, mixed and produced by the vocalist himself.

it was a hard part of their time as they were 5000 miles away from each other but with the help of the internet pull this thing from their magical minds.

Very catchy songs, good production, good vocals and great instrumentation

I also like the fact that there are less distorted vocals and he uses them less frequently but when he does use them they are mind blowing, like Sylosis with Josh's clean vocals.

one thing is some of these tracks sound quite rushed and some solos sounded like they could of been longer, not too long but maybe 2 or 3 seconds (E.G. in a moment which is my favourite track of the album.)

Incomparable
Incomparable

5.0 out of 5 stars The album name says it all, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Incomparable (Audio CD)
It truly does, the music gives out the emotion and the passion it needs to, it help me re cooperate with the world as it kind of related to a situation i was in and i enjoyed each moment of each song, its mix of pop and popular metal core works really well and it has made me fall in love with them.

I'm not one with buying things on the constant but if it's perfect I buy it and that's what I did...no money wasted...no regrets.

this album is a must buy and best kept safe and secure