Profile for Spud > Reviews

Content by Spud

Spud "Have you ever noticed that those who talk the loudest have nothing important to say?" (Stockport)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
KurtzyTM 12 Pack Clear Safety Glasses Googles Acrylic Plastic Eye Wear Protection

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Safety Glasses, 15 Jun. 2016
So far I have used these nearly every day for a week and I had forgotten that I was wearing them within about five minutes of putting them on. These safety glasses are incredibly light, comfortable and follow the contours of your head nicely.

Eye protection is essential when doing certain jobs such as drilling, grinding, metalwork, mechanics, woodwork, painting etc. You do not want any dust, debris, solvents or chemicals going in your eyes. You might have been lucky up to now and got by without them but sooner or later your luck will run out and you'll be sitting in A&E with your hand over at least one eye thinking 'Why didn't I wear safety glasses?, I hope I'm not blind' Trust me, I'm genuinely speaking from experience here!
'What experience?' I hear you say, well I'll tell you. As a woodturner, I often spend hours with my face in the firing line as I'm cutting a bowl from a 50lb chunk of 18 inch diameter hardwood spinning at 1400rpm. That's just a normal day for me so I always put my safety gear on out of habit as soon as I go into my workshop.
What nearly blinded me was a tiny chip of rust from a neighbours brake drum that I held up to the light to see if it was cracked. One brief gust of wind and I was on the verge of screaming for the next 8 hours (it had to happen late on a Saturday afternoon, didn't it?). Anyway, you get my point, it won't be the thing you see coming that will do the damage.

Anyway, back to these safety glasses. They are brilliant for the price, the lenses are perfectly clear with no haze or cloudiness, they're free of distortion, they're very light and a very sensible addition to any DIYers tool kit. Don't get me wrong, they're not bulletproof but they'll protect your eyes from all but the most severe impacts.

I received this product free in exchange for a fair and honest review.

KurtzyTM Professional Quality Dress Making Pinking Shear Dog Tooth Scallop Edging Scissors

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pinking Shears, 15 Jun. 2016
My Mum is the person that uses these so here is her opinion of them.

"The build quality seems very good and I think you would be hard pressed to find better quality at twice the price. The shears are heavier and more robust than I was expecting which is a good thing as it allows them to cope better with heavier fabrics. The finger grips are of moulded plastic and are soft and comfortable in use. The blades are very sharp, mesh together well and coped with every fabric I tried them on.

These shears are multifunctional too as unlike standard pinking shears, these have a scalloped edge so one side of the cut produces the scallops and the other produces a wave pattern. This can be useful for arts and crafts as they create a lovely patterned edge to paper and photographs too which makes a refreshing change from just a straight edge.

The blades are very sharp with no alignment issues so you don't get catches or snags which makes them perfect for any fabric or paper as they leave a perfect clean cut and pattern.
They seem to cope really well with wide range of fabric and craft materials and I am very happy with them".

(I think it's fair to say that she likes them!)

I received this product free in exchange for a fair and honest review.

KurtzyTM Pack of 25 Black Landyard Neck Strap With Safety Breakaway- Lobster Clasp and J-Hook

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful Bargain Lanyards, 15 Jun. 2016
I really like these lanyards. They look smart and considering how many you get and how inexpensive they are, I haven't had a single problem with them.

The quick release plastic fastener is great because you don't have to take the whole lanyard off if someone wants to borrow what you have fastened to it.
I know it might seem like a minor improvement in terms of convenience but there's a big side benefit too, the fact that you still have an empty lanyard around your neck is a great reminder that the borrower hasn't returned your property yet!

I've had a variety of things fastened to these lanyards such as keys, pens, pencils, small hand tools, a mini torch, a jewellers loupe, a compact camera and USB sticks. When you're working in a small workshop, things can get untidy very quickly and putting anything smaller than a house brick down often means that you won't be able to find it again but that shouldn't be a problem anymore!

So if you think lanyards are only really useful for ID cards, think again.

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (leak/crack sealer) 60ml
Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (leak/crack sealer) 60ml
Offered by Captain Tolley

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked like a charm!, 24 April 2016
I got this to cure the infamous Rover 75 leaking boot problem and it worked perfectly. I just ran it round the rear window seal and let it dry. In a few places the gap was just too wide to make a watertight seal so I scraped the still slightly soft sealant off the window until it made a small pile of shavings and then poked them into the gaps to fill them then put more fresh Tolleys over the top. Job done! I did this about 2 months ago and my boot has been bone dry ever since. I hope this helps anybody in the same situation I was in until I found this brilliant product.

KurtzyTM Aluminium Silver 6 Watch Storage Box Case Bracelet Display With Pillow Holders

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart little case, 12 April 2016
This case is the perfect way to display your watches and it will also minimise the risk of them being damaged or lost.
The aluminium case is large enough to fit 6 watches side by side. Each watch has its own separate compartment and the perspex viewing window on the top of the box is a great way to display your watches but there are also narrow strips of perspex all around the sides of the top which lets more light in. This in turn, makes your watches look even better!

Anyway, this case does the job an absolute treat and it's a much nicer way of organising your watches rather than just chucking them in drawers or leaving them on the bedside table. If you are wondering about size, I only ever wear full-size chronographs, different makes but always chronographs and they all fit just fine.

I did receive this product in exchange for an honest and unbiased review so to sum up, it's perfect for storing your watches in, it protects them from dust and damage and it's great value for the money. What's not to like?

KurtzyTM Set of 3 Waterproof Tarp Dry Bags 5/10/15 Litres Kit Bag For Camping, Water sports, Hiking

5.0 out of 5 stars Dry as a bone!, 12 April 2016
These dry bags are very sturdy and well made . I havent been camping or kayaking as of yet but I have used the 10 litre bag to safeguard my DSLRs from the beautiful UK spring weather. So far it has been rained on a lot and not a single drop has ever got inside. Even though my DSLRs are supposedly weather sealed, I just don't like the idea of damaging them so I usually just don't take them out if the weather looks a bit 'iffy' so the first time I took a chance on a doubtful sky and needed to use the dry bag, I got a little panicked but I needn't have worried. Everything was kept nice and dry and the same is true when I used the 5 litre bag for my GoPro, phone and some other bits and bobs and the 15 litre bag which I filled with a full, dry set of clothes.

I did receive this product in exchange for an honest and unbiased review and I would definitely recommend this set of waterproof bags. If you're an outdoors person who needs to keep everything dry, I would certainly use these bags in complete confidence.

KurtzyTM Stainless Steel Metal 9-In-1 Multi Tool Pliers Pocket Tool With Carry Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job!, 12 April 2016
All the fold-out tools look and feel good and are nice and firm, with no slop in the folding mechanisms. It all folds down fits in the nylon sleeve very nicely and the driver bits in their rubber strip fit in a little pocket on the front.

It feels comfortable in the hand and appears to be well manufactured so, as long as you don’t abuse it, it should easily survive a good amount of use.
I spend a lot of time outdoors and I often have my GoPro, DSLR and sometimes a Glidecam with me so this multitool is going to be coming along as there's usually something that needs tightening, loosening or tinkering with.

The tool is compact enough to be carried in a trouser pocket comfortably or kept for emergencies in a car glove box. One thing to remember is that multitools aren't designed to replace a comprehensive set of proper tools but believe me, multitools excel at getting you out of a pinch for one simple fact, you are far more likely to have a multitool in your pocket in an emergency than you are to have a full set of tools with you. Simple as that. A tool you can carry everywhere is much more useful than a whole set left in your toolbox at home.

Another thing worth mentioning is that, along with the other fold-out tools, both knife blades do NOT lock into place which means it's acceptable by law to carry in public if you have reason to use such a multi-tool.

I did receive this product in exchange for an honest and unbiased review and I'd have to say that I've had a number of multitools over the years and without having to pay what I did for my top of the range Gerber, this multitool will easily do what I want it to and still be doing it for years to come.

YogaAddict Yoga Mat Bag With Pocket, 28" Long, Fit Most Mat Size, Extra Wide, Easy Access, Satisfaction Guarantee - Blue
Offered by YogaAddict [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars It is 'Supreme' (and not just for yoga!), 8 April 2016
YogaAddict has done it again! This is another great, well designed and very well made product. I don't practice yoga so you'd think that I wouldn't have much need for a yoga mat bag, wouldn't you? You'd be wrong!

This makes a fantastic bag for big photography accessories such as tripods, monopods, light stands etc. and I mean full size, heavy tripods, not the little 'fold up and fit in your pocket' ones. It's even really easy to get them in and out of the bag because the main zip doesn't stop short of the end of the bag like a lot of bags do. Also, the wired 'wide mouth' opening gives you great access because it stops the bag from flopping around and getting in the way.

The material it is made from is the same thickness and quality as the outer shell of my expensive Tamrac backpack that I carry my cameras and lenses in.
All the pockets are generously sized to make sure you can fit plenty of extra gear in and there's even a large side pocket with a drawstring closure for keeping a drink handy and easily accessible.

The zips on these pockets and the main zip to close the bag are smooth to operate and don't feel like they are going to give any cause for concern. The short handles either side of the main opening can be fastened together with a padded handgrip. There's also a handle on either end of the bag as well which I can see would be very useful considering that this bag is quite long, it would make it much easier to carry it vertically when in a busy, crowded area.
Even the shoulder strap feels just right, it's wide and grippy and the clips and D rings that fasten the strap to the bag are plastic but they feel so solid that you would probably have to fill this bag with lead to make them fail!

So, even though I'm not using this bag for it's intended purpose, it's doing what I'm using it for and doing it flawlessly so I certainly can't fault it in any way.

I did receive this bag free for review but I've been buying high quality functional bags for many years for carrying everything from archery equipment to camera gear and I can confidently say that this is right up there with the best of them. Nice work YogaAddict!

UK Men Yoga Long Pants, Navy Blue - Size XXL
UK Men Yoga Long Pants, Navy Blue - Size XXL
Offered by YogaAddict [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable!, 13 Mar. 2016
These pants are so comfortable and have a very high quality feel to them. They fit well, they're not too baggy but they do give you enough room to move freely in and they don't creep down at the back so there's no need to worry about accidentally mooning anyone behind you!

The wide waistband is elasticated and has a nice, substantial drawstring which I vastly prefer over the skinny, stringy drawstrings that a lot of other pants and jogging bottoms always seem to come with.

They're soft and stretchy with plenty of length in the leg and the waist sizing seems to be accurate. I ordered the size that usually fits me with a little room to spare and that's exactly the fit I got with these pants. The two side pockets are deep enough to keep a phone, keys or change in without worrying that they will fall back out if you sit down.

Although these are designed with yoga and aerobic activities in mind, I find them to be great for wearing while going for country walks or even just to wear around the house. The elasticated waist and the way they fit you means they are comfortable what ever you are doing and unlike jeans or normal trousers, the fabric which they are made of is really nice, stretchy and soft so they don't restrict your movement which is to be expected considering their intended use!

I did receive these pants in exchange for an honest review but I stand behind everything I have said and I would give them the same review if I had paid for them.

Plastic Hand Trowel
Plastic Hand Trowel
Offered by AP Motor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly tough., 24 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Plastic Hand Trowel (DIY & Tools)
Okay, it's a cheap plastic trowel so you wouldn't expect much, would you? I didn't but it's actually pretty good and surprisingly tough. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend attempting to lever out tree roots with it but it's more than a match for normal trowel-based duties and as a bonus, if you forget to clean it after use or leave it out in the rain, so what? It's not going to rust!
It would also imagine it could be good for metal detectorists as it's not going to set off the detector. I'm not expert on the subject but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.
So like I said, I wasn't expecting much but at this price it's hard to complain about it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13