Profile for K. Hannay > Reviews

Content by K. Hannay

K. Hannay "kh014u5746" (yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Violet
Violet
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost blue..., 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Violet (MP3 Download)
A mixture of haunting instrumentals and delicate songs, all short but substantial and well structured. Echoes of Satie in some of the piano pieces. This is a beautiful album that has wormed its way into my life.I only wish I could have afforded to buy the cd as I like the look of the artwork.

Gladsome
Gladsome

5.0 out of 5 stars A Prodigal Son of an Album, 4 July 2014
This review is from: Gladsome (MP3 Download)
I remember buying the original version of this album when it came out, back in the 80's I presume. I was disappointed to be honest by how different the sound was to Boat to Bolivia, the only other thing I had by Martin Stephenson at the time. It felt over-produced and the songs were lost. Well, now they're back and what I suspected were brilliant, witty and moving songs turn out to be so, stripped down and exposed with some lively vocal additions. I didn't think the recent reworking of the Bolivia album benefited so much as this one does. A cracker.

Selfish Whining Monkeys: How we Ended Up Greedy, Narcissistic and Unhappy
Selfish Whining Monkeys: How we Ended Up Greedy, Narcissistic and Unhappy

3.0 out of 5 stars Supermarket Sweep, 20 Jun 2014
This is an intriguing account of how the lo-cost (sic) supermarkets are undermining the Big 3, Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons. (I have deliberately not included Waitrose here as this obviously skews things). Lidl's fond, idyllic memories of his childhood in Deptford with his cheeky butcher ('lean back madam?') and friendly greengrocer ('come here and feel me luvverly onions,missus') are amusing enough but it's quite sad on the whole. I was hoping for more on the decline of Presto.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2014 4:02 PM BST

Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins
Falling and Laughing: The Restoration of Edwyn Collins
by Grace Maxwell
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Brutally Honest, 25 Dec 2013
I bought this, like many others who have reviewed it, on the back of loving Edwyn Collins's music. I did admire its honesty and Grace Maxwell's strength of character and personality shine through. As do Edwyn Collins's. It's honesty makes up for the sometimes, I think, not great writing. It does what it set out to do though and is often moving in a way that much 'literature' isn't. I only ever saw Edwyn Collins performing once, at Sheffield Leadmill and was taken aback when he tore into an entirely innocent, as far as I could see, audience member. It put me off him but not his music. What this book does do is show him in an entirely different light, his tenacity, his wit and the incredible loyalty he inspires in others. What I truly admire about the writing Grace Maxwell's ability to portray herself, warts and all - there is no sense that she perceives herself as the heroine that she is, as are many others in her position. In fact, you sense how in many ways she sees how relatively privileged they are. I've worked in health care for 30 years and her description of the inconsistency of the NHS is entirely accurate, whatever some other reviewers might think. She recognises how much individuals can make a difference for good or for bad. I'm not sure I come out of this liking Grace Maxwell as a person - I know this is not the point nor would she be bothered - but I certainly respect her and would want her on my side in a fight.

Sea Changes & Coelacanths: A Young Person's Guide To John Fahey
Sea Changes & Coelacanths: A Young Person's Guide To John Fahey

5.0 out of 5 stars Make It talk, Mr Fahey, 2 Nov 2013
Like another reviewer, I too came to John Fahey via his later work, notably intrigued by Michael Chapman's reference to him in the 'Resurrection of Clayton Peacock', another work which divides opinion among those who prefer the artist's earlier music. I can see why as the music is totally different. I have found this music to be simultaneously moving, harsh and expressive emotionally in a way that so much ambient electronica fails to be, created by a person who seems at one with his instrument. As a young punk rocker I used to laugh at the hippies saying "make it talk" to Eric Clapton about his guitar playing. I still do laugh at them actually but have just that feeling when I listen to these pieces of music.

Pentatonic (Penguin Specials): A Story of Music (Kindle Single) (Penguin Shorts/Specials)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Size is not Important, 20 Sep 2013
I realise that size is not important and I was very moved by this poignant story. But 2 quid for a virtual (literal) 19 pages, 14% of which my kindle reliably informs me, is adverts. Schadenfreude.

Live in London
Live in London

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Live in London (MP3 Download)
I'd heard a few of Devon Sproule's songs from various compilations and freebies and last weekend when I saw she was playing the village hall a few miles north on the small island where I live, I was intrigued. So, we went, rounded up the neighbours and the bairns and had one of the finest evenings I have spent in many a year. Sometimes, you feel blessed and we sat in awe as she and the band played a blend of folk, blues country...whatever genre helps you get the idea. Beautiful harmonies and smart lyrics. I bought this album from the table at the back of the hall and it is splendid, capturing something of the warmth of the night.Live albums are often disappointing -this isn't, capturing what was obviously another very special night in front of a somewhat bigger audience, I would guess. They got to saw BJ Cole with the band that night as well but I bet they didn't get sandwiches and tea at the interval. Buy this and make sure you go and see her if she comes to an island near you.

The Sound Of No Hands Clapping: A Memoir
The Sound Of No Hands Clapping: A Memoir
by Toby Young
Price: 14.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Zounds!, 2 Mar 2013
Toby Young has come in for quite a bit of villification in recent years and at first I thought this book might be about the audience's response to his recent appearance on 'Any Questions' when he appeared to be suggesting that a bit of sexual harrassment was par for the course for aspiring female politicians. Imagine my surprise when I found out it is in fact a radical, but not humourless, examination of Bhuddism and disability in Los Angeles. Informative and witty from the thinking man's Harry Hill.

365 Ways to Drive a Liberal Crazy
365 Ways to Drive a Liberal Crazy
by James Delingpole
Price: 4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth about liberalism - at last, 27 Aug 2012
This book is a must for all Delingpole fans. It contains some of the best recipes from his series "So You Wanna Cook Like Obama?", in his sadly short-lived Channel 4 TV career. It's their loss. Don't listen to the haters, this is the kind of book that in 20 years will be considered a classic - get in now while it's cheap and remaindered.

A.A. Gill is Further Away
A.A. Gill is Further Away
by A.A. Gill
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Belgium, 27 Aug 2012
A lively read but it's a shame that the section on Belgium is so badly researched. I lived there for nearly 6 months and never encountered the anti-Chinese attitude that Gill thinks is prevalent in Brussells. (Sure, Sino-Belgian relations have been fraught since around 1975 but for most of us it didn't affect our everyday lives). Talk of it being rife in the country is an exageration. Otherwise, not a bad read, occasionally funny insights - I laughed out loud at his comparison of Xeng-di with a mushroom tortilla in a Bruges cafe, but a disappointment for anyone with more than a basic understanding of Chinese culture and politics.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 6:38 PM BST