Profile for Ladyfilosopher > Reviews

Mack's Aquablock Double Ear Plugs - Purple
Mack's Aquablock Double Ear Plugs - Purple
Offered by Tiger Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars really keep the water out, 24 May 2014
Have had them for a while now. They are still flexible and easy to keep clean. They have been used in both pool and outdoor swimming. For my cold water swimming, they are indespensible.

Ladies COOLERS Slip on Mule Slippers MICROSUEDE & Fleece Lined 289 UK 7 Burgundy
Offered by Socks Uwear®

4.0 out of 5 stars good color and roomy slipper, 24 May 2014
I have enough room to put an insole to soften the feel under foot. My other half uses them as well, so unisex

Vintage Style Swim Hat With Chin Strap Black, Orange, Turquoise, Green, Pink, Red, Yellow, White (Turquoise)
Offered by Amazing Health

4.0 out of 5 stars efficient swimming cap, 24 May 2014
a more calming color for the pool. Does help keep pool water away from hair. Be careful how you unstrap it.

Fashy Women's Rubber Bubble Cap with Strap - Pink
Fashy Women's Rubber Bubble Cap with Strap - Pink
Offered by Urbanbrand

5.0 out of 5 stars solid and keeps the water away from the hair, 24 May 2014
I needed a cap that would warn all the boaters in the port of my presence. It is holding up well being used in salt water. I enjoy using it in the pool to keep my hair from getting saturated with chlorine. Advice: to unsnap the chin strap, flick the snap button at the point of contact,,,, do not pull open with the strap... the cap border will break.

The Story of Ferdinand
The Story of Ferdinand
by Munro Leaf

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be a unique bull in a 'bullish' material world, 24 May 2014
This review is from: The Story of Ferdinand (Paperback)
As a female, even at a young age I realised that the world, though beautiful and fascinating as could be, was also harsh and sad. I would often look at these pages to see and hear about this gorgeous animal, who seemed quite clear about what he wanted to look for in life, in such contrast to what others thought he should be doing. The rebel 'artist' embedded in this bull gave me a story about a real hero!!! I remember quite clearly how I felt the first time I was told this story. How I lolled under the tree with him, my head on his warm belly. The fear I felt for him when it became clear that someone wanted to force him to fit their sense of destiny for him. The relief I sighed whenhe became my hero, having managed to convince the others that their strivings were not his and he could live his life in a loving peaceful way. I have read the critique of this book and I find they highlight the continued need for this story to be in our children's lives. Ferdinand is not lazy, his calm enriches the world around him, his dreamy determination to live as he wants to is inspiring. Ferdinand is drawn in such black and white detail that his glistening black hide shimmers up from the page. We have a black and white issues to deal with : life and death, expectations and agency. That some people ran away from the book as if they would want to rewrite history by ignoring the fact of bull fighting's existence is just, welllll,,,,, ignorant. We can only engage with the tough issues when we acknowledge their existence and the difficulty of response. This is jewel of a story and precious for all budding souls.

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves
by Stephen Grosz

3.0 out of 5 stars More similar to Buddhist Koans if one has enough professional experience in the field, 12 Mar 2014
I was lent this book by a woman looking for interesting dialogue about the mind. She wanted to know what I thought. If the book were a harmful book I would have given it the 1 star, as some others have done. I read their critique and basically, I agree with them, especially the review by the husband of one 10 year-long patient (who main resource was 'patience').
But the book is not harmful, I am not his patient, I am in the field and can read between the lines. His case studies were often 'own goals' as to why psychoanalysis is on the wane including the ethical issues that lie under years and years of sessions. I, too, wonder if this book has helped the author examine his own life in the same 'depth' applied to his clients.
Empathy is not old school, however. Antagonistic positioning is part of the Freudian process because we reveal our true selves when in discomfort.
So, leaving empathy aside, I read the book quickly. I read between the lines, rewarding the uniqueness of this subjective experience and honoring my intellectual/emotional capacities to find meaning. Actually, quite similar to the exercise surrounding Buddhist Koans, narratives holding paradoxes which offer occasion to reflect and discuss... as we are doing in these reviews. There is a quiet neatness in the chapter and section ordering of the cases, each one seems to lead to the other, even occasionally, dovetailing lending a harmony to the brisk reading session. I suggested to my friend that she might find the last 2 sections the most interesting for her exploration. No, I did not dislike this book, but it is not a necessary book for people training their hearts and minds to be empathic with one another. As I started reading it the fleeting image of Yalom's Love's Executioner passed before my mind's eye, too. Grosz's book would have benefitted by a deeper more explanatory introduction. There was a distance between us and the text and that could also be considered a respectful distance. I hope the author has come to agreement with all his subjects in the book that client consent is needed before publishing.

Envy Theory: Perspectives on the Psychology of Envy
Envy Theory: Perspectives on the Psychology of Envy
by Frank John Ninivaggi

2.0 out of 5 stars based on Melanie Klein's theories which have been surpassed, 12 Mar 2014
I would not buy this book because it is based on theories that have been far surpassed. M.Klein in her day was the only analyst who wanted to work with the uncomfortable subject of envy. Ninivaggi bases all his theorising on the Kleinian premiss that Envy is innate and can even be guided in a positive manner. My extended reading on the subject has found different and more solid considerations, for example Gallwey's mind model proposed by P Polledri in her "Envy Is Not Innate".
Ninivaggi's book dresses up an old, over-worn and ill fitting mind-map. It is time to honor M Klein for her efforts and move onward into a new paradigm about human-relations, the drivers of our actions and the phantasies they incurr.

Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood
Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood
by Paddy Ladd

5.0 out of 5 stars still the most important book about Deaf Culture, 11 Mar 2014
What courage and fortitude did the author have to exercise to put this tome together. I can only thank him and hope others use it as a guiding light

Twelve Years a Slave: Plus Five American Slave Narratives, Including Life of Frederick Douglass, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Life of Josiah Henson, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Up From Slavery

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange to 5 star this as 'I love it', the paradox of tragic stories being neccessary to read, 11 Mar 2014
I am not black in a white world. I have been an outsider all my life, though. I am an expat and explorer. The ONLY way I can know specifically of this issue is to talk with my contemporaries (which I do) and read. I read several books and narratives on the topic by the people directly involved, but in my search and studies I had not come upon Northup's narrative. '12 years a slave' could also be the title of so many women's lives today and yesterday.Or children's lives. There are so many vulnerable people close to the liminal edge of our veil of civility. I saw the film and am now rounding that experience out by reading the book. Awareness is the first step toward compassion.

Labradorite Gemstone Quality Gem Cut Oval Briolette Beads 7.5x6mm (10)
Labradorite Gemstone Quality Gem Cut Oval Briolette Beads 7.5x6mm (10)

3.0 out of 5 stars The picture made them look bigger and more colorful, 11 Mar 2014
I was quite startled when I saw how small and non descript they were. I will not be buying stones off the internet any more. It was my first time buying with this company my dissappointment is most likely my fault for not reading or understanding correctly the description details.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3