Profile for bunintheoven > Reviews

Content by bunintheoven

bunintheoven

Page: 1 | 2
Deliciously Ella: Awesome ingredients, incredible food that you and your body will love
by Ella Woodward

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over Substance, 6 Aug. 2015
I was very disappointed in this book. I really really wanted to like it as friends of mine have raved about it, especially the raw brownies.
However, I think you can tell the author has no formal culianry training, the recipes are extremely bland and tasteless, she doesn't use onions and seems to have no comprehension of portion control. I am astounded that this book has done as well as it has. For a far better book try A Modern Way to Eat, excellently put together, user friendly and delicious flavours; in essence, everything that this book lacks!

Pulse: Truly Modern Recipes for Beans, Chickpeas and Lentils, to Tempt Meat Eaters and Vegetarians Alike
by Jenny Chandler

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty family-friendly recipes, 27 Mar. 2014
I love this book. I have used it so much since I bought it, so many of the recipes are family-friendly or make good, healthy tasty mid-week meals. I am very impressed with the range of influences on the author, everywhere from the Indian sub-continent to Italy to the Middle East is represented with knowledge and skill.
For nothing else, I recommend you buy this book for the African Peanut Soup or the amazing Daal recipe, both are awesome and are regular meals in this house!

Kingfishers Catch Fire: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
Kingfishers Catch Fire: A Virago Modern Classic (VMC)
by Rumer Godden

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling with modern relevance, 10 Nov. 2013
I adored and was utterly enthralled by this book.
It's a gripping story of the clash of cultures and the struggle for one woman's emancipation.
The characterisation is fabulous and the descriptive writing is so beautifully evoked, I felt as though I was there.
It is a book that will stay with you for a long time.

The Shuttle
The Shuttle
by Frances Hodgson Burnett

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Shuttle (Paperback)
This is a stonking book, great fun.The main characters are vividly drawn and the storyline is never too predictable, happy endings abound.
Like slipping into a hot bath with a bar of chocolate!

The Ethicurean Cookbook: Recipes, foods and spirituous liquors, from our bounteous walled garden in the several seasons of the year
by The Ethicurean

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous cookbook from a fabulous place, 10 Nov. 2013
I grew up in the next village along from Wrington and lots of my family still live there. I was thrilled when the Ethicurean took over at teh Walled Garden. they are innvoative and exciting restaurateurs.
This cookbook had lots of the recipes that they use in the restaurant. They are inspirational and make you want to use the best of the ingredients around you. It is beautifully written and photographed. Recommended for aspiring foodies.

Greenbanks
Greenbanks
by Dorothy Whipple

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, lovely book, 31 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Greenbanks (Paperback)
I heartily recommend this book. Really nothing happens, but everything happens. The narration is masterful in its light-touch and I can understand why this has been described as an early feminist novel. The lack of choice and empowerment for women is described but in this, as in all things, the reader is left to make up her own mind.
I enjoyed this book and would also strongly recommend 'Someone at a Distance' also by Whipple, a brilliant, brilliant book.

The Mary Celeste Papers
The Mary Celeste Papers

5.0 out of 5 stars Very amusing, 26 Oct. 2012
Really unusual book, that would make a great film. Had me laughing out loud at the eccentric characters. Highly recommended.

Someone at a Distance
Someone at a Distance

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant tale, beautifully written, 6 Sept. 2012
I adored this book. I read it knowing the premis and yet still gasped out loud at the denoument. It is a delicately written book with artfully painted characters that are both of their time and completely modern. The plot is gripping without being melodramatic, everyone behaves impeccably throughout and yet you writhe in agony with the characters, feeling all those unspoken emotions.
I spent a long time after finishing this book thinking about the state of marriage and the lot of women.
A gem of a book, I shall certainly be re-reading it.

Mariana
Mariana

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from Dickens' granddaughter, 6 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Mariana (Kindle Edition)
This is a really interesting book. On the face of it it's a jolly hockey sticks 1930's tale of growing up. After delving a little deeper it becomes apparent that it's a thoughtful study of what it was to be a woman in pre- second world war Britain.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I think it will stay with me for a long time.
If you enjoyed 'Love in a Cold Climate' you will adore this.

Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White Flour 16 kg
Bacheldre Watermill Stoneground Strong Bakers White Flour 16 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic bread flour, 8 Feb. 2012
Wonderful lour that creates a beautiful dough. Really the best I have ever made. I'm hoping that it is as good for pizza bases and brioche but so far, so amazing.

Page: 1 | 2