ARRAY(0xa961012c)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PhD Vanilla Crème Flavoured Diet Whey Protein Powder 2kg
PhD Vanilla Crème Flavoured Diet Whey Protein Powder 2kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Former sceptic now sold ..., 10 April 2014
I purchased this product despite having had some previous scepticism regarding these protein shakes.

My primary reason for finally purchasing was as a weight loss 'companion'.  I am not using Phd to try and reduce my calories, but as a nutritional supplement/meal replacement, given that when you are trying to lose weight on a controlled calorie diet, it can be difficult to consume the amount of protein that you need.  I use 'myfitnesspal' to count calories and to provide me with guidelines as to the amount of carbs, fat, protein which I should be consuming each day.   Thanks to Phd, I am finally meeting my 'target' where protein is concerned.

My first shake I consumed with water.  Big mistake (one that almost put me off having any more shakes!), it is much MUCH tastier when taken with skimmed milk (or, soy milk, possibly).   With water alone I found the taste unpleasant.

I am pleased that I decided to go with the vanilla creme as my first choice - I worried that the chocolate or strawberry flavours might be noticeably too synthetic or overly-sweet, but to my palate the vanilla creme is neither.

The total calories of a two scoop shake with 300ml skimmed milk (I like my shakes slightly thicker than the recommended 350mls) is still only 287kcals.

As I said above - I use Phd as a meal replacement (for lunch), as opposed to having e.g. sandwich/salad/soup - which by and large would be approximately the same calories.   The advantage (aside from the nutritional values) which Phd has over soup or sandwiches, is that it is slow to metabolise.   To my surprise, this one shake keeps me going until teatime - I have no hunger or lack of energy with it ... which I could not have said in respect of any of the generic 'meal replacement' shakes on the market.

In terms of preparation, when packing for lunch in the morning, it could not be easier.  I just place 2 scoops of shake powder into a small tupperware container, grab my Phd shaker, and go.

At lunch, I pour 300ml of skimmed milk into the shaker, then add the shake powder (whatever you do ... don't add powder then milk, or it will stick in clumps to the bottom of your shaker).  Screw on the lid tightly, shake very vigorously for around 30secs or so (good exercise) et voila, a delicious tasting shake is yours.  No more worrying about what to make for a packed lunch in the morning.

In terms of weight loss ...well as I have said above, it is helping keep hunger pangs at bay, and I have lost a stone as a result.    Unexpectedly, my skin is in significantly better condition - much more so than on previous diets, so better diet alone probably does not account for that.

According to my Withings scales, I have slightly more lean mass than the last time I was at my current weight, so perhaps Phd is helping with that, but even if not, I'm sold on its other benefits.

This former sceptic has been convinced, and will return to buy more.

Westpower Large Metal Framed Log Store with Cover
Westpower Large Metal Framed Log Store with Cover

1.0 out of 5 stars Not windproof - now my cover is missing!, 10 April 2014
Despite having carefully assembled this log holder according to the instructions, it remains a rather rickety structure, except when weighted down with logs.

My biggest issue with this product however, is that the cover is not secured or tied down in any way. It simply slots onto the product, leaving it extremely vulnerable to high winds.

I have had to retrieve the cover from various locations throughout my garden on numerous occasions, and have been inspired to write this negative review now by virtue of the fact that the cover is now nowhere to be found, I assume that it has blown into any one of several neighbours houses, or the street, and that someone has binned it.

Can't emphasise enough - this is one to avoid folks. Save yourselves some hassle and go for a proper wooden store.

If you do decide to purchase, be prepared to adapt the product in some way, in order to hold onto your cover.

2 Best Artificial 30cm White Flower Balls Lush Long Leaf Topiary Grass
2 Best Artificial 30cm White Flower Balls Lush Long Leaf Topiary Grass
Offered by Best Artificial

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as 'realistic' as I'd hoped., 10 April 2014
I purchased a pair of these, plus the matching hanging brackets from the same seller, as I hoped for some zero-maintenance decoration around our front door, leaving only the front lawn to be cut for everything to look smart and 'shipshape'.

I zoomed into the photographs for a closer look prior to submitting my order, and thought that these topiary balls looked just realistic enough to pass for the real thing.

Unfortunately upon receipt, I was slightly disappointed. The green leaves are two-tone, and the lighter shade of green on the tips of some of the leaves is a little too bright, to look realistic. It was also possible to look through the ball and see the sphere structure, as the leaves were fairly sparse.

To my eye, these topiary balls did not look realistic, and therefore I ended up not using them. A relative was happy to take them off my hands though, so this is likely a subjective matter of taste.

6 X EUTHYMOL 75ML TOOTHPASTE
6 X EUTHYMOL 75ML TOOTHPASTE
Offered by Activecare Online

3.0 out of 5 stars FAO JOHNSON & JOHNSON: Go back to the drawing board please; your new formulation is pants!, 22 Mar 2014
Well .. I said that I would update my review once I had sampled the new formula, so here it is. The outer packaging looks largely the same, with the exception of the printed product descriptions, and ingredients, outlined below for those of you who are interested.

BE WARNED: the new formula is still being sold in metal tubes, not plastic tubes like I had read in some other online reviews. So if you want to stock up on the old formula, you will need to check carefully with the seller that you will get exactly what you expect (ask them to confirm the ingredients, for example). I suggest that you do NOT want to stock up a supply of the new formula until you have tried it.

OLD FORMULATION INGREDIENTS:
Dicalcium phosphate, Aqua, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Aroma, Sodium Laurel Sulphate, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Silicate, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Saccharin, Simethicone, CI 45430, +/- Sodium Hydroxide.

NEW FORMULATION INGREDIENTS:
Dicalcium Phosphate DIHYDRATE, Aqua, Sorbitol, Glycerin, METHYL SALICYLATE, Sodium Laurel Sulhate, CI77891, Carrageenan, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Silicate, HYDRATED SILICA, THYMOL, Sodium Saccharin, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, MENTHOL, CI14720

And what is the net effect of these changes? Sadly the new formulation Euthymol is a mere shadow of its former self. NONE of the changes made are for the betterment of the product, however I suppose that two small mercies are that it still contains thymol (mysteriously not mentioned on the old formulation ingredients list) and remains fluoride-free.

I still have some tubes of the old formula, therefore I had the opportunity to compare old and new directly side-by-side. Below are my conclusions:

1) The bright pink colour is gone, replaced with a significantly less appealing darker 'sludgey' pink colour.

2) The consistency of the new formulation is slightly more liquid, and less foamy when brushing.

3) The taste of the new formula I reckon is not even one third of its former strength. My fear expressed previously, that Johnson & Johnson would manipulate the formula to try and create something a little more palatable to the mass market, has come to pass.
Using the new formulation Euthymol is now like brushing your teeth with any old toothpaste (i.e., mediocre), and you can no longer expect that bracing sort of strong antiseptic taste that we loved about the old formula. However, I note that Johnson & Johnson still have the cheek to brag about the 'strong taste' on the packaging of the new formulation.

4) One key 'unique selling point' of the old formula Euthymol, was how it left your mouth and teeth with a long-lasting fresh and squeaky-clean aftertaste. The new formulation is simply a great disappointment in this regard, and the new mild taste wears off quickly.

I hope that the longer-term advantages of using Euthymol, in terms of preventing tooth decay/gum disease, are the same, but only time will tell that, and meantime I have found the changes to Euthymol to be so disappointing that I am now in the market for an alternative toothpaste.

I have changed my rating of this product, from the previous 5 star excellence of the old formula, to a 3 star rating for the new formulation more appropriate for its new mediocrity.

12 x Euthymol Toothpaste Oroginal 75ml
12 x Euthymol Toothpaste Oroginal 75ml
Offered by Dental Direct UK

THREE PACKS of Euthymol Original Toothpaste [Personal Care]
THREE PACKS of Euthymol Original Toothpaste [Personal Care]
Offered by Dental 24-7

3.0 out of 5 stars FAO JOHNSON & JOHNSON: Go back to the drawing board please; your new formula is pants!, 22 Mar 2014

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2014 8:35 PM BST

TRS Coriander Dhania Powder 100 g (Pack of 20)
TRS Coriander Dhania Powder 100 g (Pack of 20)

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW many packets? :-), 28 Feb 2014
I get through a lot of coriander - I add heaps of the stuff to recipes such as pork and peanut butter stirfry, and just love the taste. I got fed up of buying it in tiny quantities in my local supermarket, and on ebay, and spotted this deal on amazon. This TRS coriander is excellent, and represents superb value for money.

Ytk Rice Vinegar 150 ml (Pack of 2)
Ytk Rice Vinegar 150 ml (Pack of 2)
Offered by sushisushi

4.0 out of 5 stars Tangy, 28 Feb 2014
An essential ingredient in a number of my favourite recipes, including orange beef, this is a product which is not always easy to find on supermarket shelves, but as usual amazon can be relied upon! This ytk product has a lovely tangy taste, the expiry date is good, and the pricing competitive. I'll buy again.

Kitchen Craft Natural Elements Hessian Onion Preserving Bag with Blackout Lining

4.0 out of 5 stars Unsure about the preserving qualities claimed, 28 Feb 2014
I'm not convinced that this bag makes any difference to the useable life of onions, however I am glad that I purchased this, as I consider it an attractive and capacious storage bag.

Meridian Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter With No Added Salt 1 Kg (Pack of 2)
Meridian Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter With No Added Salt 1 Kg (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, great taste, 28 Feb 2014
I had been convinced that the 'peanut butter co' brand made the best tasting peanut butter, but I chanced to try the Meridian peanut butter on a whim, and I am glad that I did. It has the same loose texture, requiring you to stir it, and the taste is pretty much identical. These large tubs are superb value for money, and we use the contents in everything from pork satay to peanut butter choc traybakes - it's not just for spreading on toast :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20