Profile for Mr. Paul J. Sargeant > Reviews

Content by Mr. Paul J. Sa...

Mr. Paul J. Sargeant (Watford)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Be Green 100L Capacity Mini Rainsaver Water Butt Kit includes Butt/ Stand/ Diverter
Offered by evengreener

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, great quality., 21 April 2016
Really happy with these. I bought two and a connecting kit. The base is one piece, it's lightweight but sturdy enough on a flat surface to hold the butt. When empty it feels like it might blow over, however it seemed to hold it's own on the windy weekend I put them up. It was really easy to attach the first butt to the drainpipe, you will need a hacksaw to cut through the drainpipe, but that's the only tool you'll be using. The plugs all popped out easily and the tap screwed in tightly and using the rubber washer provided made a good seal. It's been set up for a couple of weeks now and there's no leaking. Connecting the two butts was just as simple, just pop out the rubber bungs and screw the tube in place. The tube I got was a little long, but I've just moved the butts apart a bit further so that it sits straight. I had a weekend of non stop rain (not particularly heavy) and it filled the first butt and half of the second butt in that time, so it doesn't take long to fill them. I may get a third one in time to join just to add to the capacity. They are slim enough to move fairly easily, even when full I could shuffle into a better position. I didn't want the really big fat ones, these ones are tall and slim and bit more elegant (well in as much as a water butt can be). I am very happy with these purchases and the price I thought was really good for the quality. Would definitely recommend.

Impregnated Picket Chestnut Fence, Roll Fence, Border - Length: 5m x Height: 90cm, bar distance:(7-8 cm)
Offered by Pemicont

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Easy Fencing, 21 April 2016
Arrived promptly and is really good quality. Very easy to put up, unfortunately is slightly short for the space we wanted but that's my problem not there's as I knew what I was ordering. It will do the job perfectly and looks good in the garden. Will potentially get another one in the future for another area of the garden, it's a great product.

Odyssey ODYSSEY PREMIERE CLARINET w/CASE
Odyssey ODYSSEY PREMIERE CLARINET w/CASE
Offered by Worcester Music Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality and Sound, 19 April 2016
I bought this for my son who has just started learning the Clarinet. His school lent him a Buffet clarinet for the first term and then asked us to get him his own going forward. I couldn't afford the Buffet but found this one and it had good reviews. I have to say the sound is amazing. My partner played the clarinet in orchestra for many years and both he and my sons clarinet teacher have commented on the exceptional quality and tone of this clarinet. For the money I doubt you'll find better. Very happy with the purchase.

Heissner TF173-00 4 x 4m PVC Pond Liner
Heissner TF173-00 4 x 4m PVC Pond Liner

1.0 out of 5 stars Mine was faulty, 19 April 2016
Really disappointing. Felt like good quality, I checked it over for holes and didn't find anything. I spent hours pulling out stones and roots, layed my underlay and then layed this. Filled with water and left it alone, all seemed ok but a couple of hours later there was no water in the pond. After much hunting I discovered a hole in the seam, it had a flap of material over it which the runs the full length of the seam so I didn't spot the hole to start with and obviously it was positioned low down in the deepest part of the pond. I only used about half of the material as it's a small pond I put in, I tried to use the remaining liner to re-line over the top but alas there wasn't quite enough and although when filled with water the deep part remains full, it's still getting out from somewhere as it loses about 20cm when filled up. WIll buy another one from somewhere else and start again. Shame, I gave it one star as the delivery was fast..

Gypsy (2015 London Cast Recording)
Gypsy (2015 London Cast Recording)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece In Musical Theatre, 3 Sept. 2015
I'd only ever seen the movie of Gypsy before so knew the songs, however with this revival taking place in London with Imelda Staunton as Mama Rose I booked tickets and then ordered the soundtrack. Without having seen the show the CD is a bit strange - a lot of the same song "Let Me Entertain You", and it feels rather disjointed. However, once I had seen the production it all fell in to place. If you don't get to see the production look up the storyline on Wikipedia as it will help give you context to the songs.

I was worried the music might feel a bit dated, however it has stood the test of time really well. It does have an old-fashioned feel to it in places, some of the songs such as Small World and You'll Never Get Away from Me have a real feel of nostalgia to them, reminded me of sitting with my mum and watching an old Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, however the big bold brass band sound, the raunchiness, the syncopation and gutsiness of the music just carries you away. Sondheims lyrics are as you would expect, wordy in places, witty, touching and above all they tell a story, there not just there to rhyme and sound pleasing to the ear.

On stage Imelda Staunton gave what is, in my opinion, one of the best musical theatre performances I have ever witnessed. I've seen a fair few shows over the years and worked in theatre for 15 years, but I'd never seen a performance of this calibre even in other west end shows. Her portrayal of Mama Rose was quite extraordinary. Vocally her voice was incredibly strong and powerful and yet she was able to act and emote through every note that came out of her mouth. When it came to Everything's Coming Up Roses and Roses Turn, her "verging on a breakdown" was so moving to watch happen. I wondered if this performance would translate to CD, it does. It's not quite as raw but you can tell that when they recorded this CD she didn't just pop along and sing down a microphone, she performed the part and it really comes across.
Lara Pulver plays Gypsy Rose Lee, and again her stage performance was fantastic. The transformation from quiet, awkward little Louise to becoming the greatest Burlesque performer was just stunning to watch. Vocally she too was incredible and this comes across on the CD, however due to the nature of CD's the transformation of character isn't there, it's just not really clear when it happens - this isn't her fault, just the nature of the musical itself.

Highlights have to be the above mentioned Everything's Coming Up Roses and Roses Turn, but I'd add to that Some People, Together Wherever We Go and If Momma Was Married. I can't however finish without mentioning the song You Gotta Get A Gimmick. The three ballsy women who performed this on stage gave their all to this song and it was one of the lighter comedic highlights of the entire evening, the CD captures them vocally perfect in these parts, it's shame about the horrible fake electricity sound they've used but that doesn't take away from this classic tune. The other songs I tend to skip most of the time when I play this as it's quite repetitive which is fine when you're watching it on stage, but a bit dull when listening to the CD, occasionally though I let them play through. This is a great CD and really does capture the feel of the show I saw on stage.

Bread Bag
Bread Bag
Offered by Betterware Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for limited space, 3 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Bread Bag
It's not an exciting product, but if like us you have a small kitchen and don't want a massive bread bin on your counter then this is a good alternative. It's not massive so won't take a huge bloomer without cutting it in half, but we managed to put two small baguettes, 6 burger buns, some crumpets and two packs of open biscuits in it comfortably when we went on holiday (it makes for a good travel bread bin!). It's light and folds up when not in use and I like that when it's only got something small in it you can fold it around the item so taking up less space. It's a good product and really useful for us. The fresh bread remained soft for 3-4 days and suitable for toasting after that for another couple of days before it was really of no use. I'd recommend this item.

Into The Woods [DVD] [2014]
Into The Woods [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent Adaptation from Stage to Screen - But It's Not Disney!, 3 July 2015
This review is from: Into The Woods [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I've been a fan of Sondheim for many years. I like the fact that he doesn't write a "painting by numbers" type of musical. His scores are complicated, unpredictable and cares as much about the meaning of a song than whether it's going to be a "Show-stopper" melody. His lyrics are witty and clever and his songs help the story move on rather than slow it down for the sake of popping in a tune to keep people happy. I've seen this three times on stage with different casts, and the TV version of the original Broadway show back when it first came out and it's held a special place in my heart ever since. So, I was very excited about this movie, although due to it being Disney I was a little sceptical about what would happen to it. The casting too could have been a disaster as often happens in recent stage - screen musical movies (I'm looking at you Russell Crowe!).

There are some plot changes to the stage version which do change the motivations and meaning a little for some of the character, but on the whole I thought this was a good interpretation. I know a lot of people have hated it as they were expecting the usual Disney musical they know and love - Sondheim is not a Disney Musical writer. His music is often dark, dischordant and complicated.

Myself and my partner took our 11yr old boy to see this at the cinema. Just to say, he's watched it twice now on DVD and has also watched the DVD of the Broadway Stage version. It's fair to say he really enjoyed it.

Stand out performance for me came from Emily Blunt. I didn't really know her other than from Live, Die, Repeat with Tom Cruise (I think that's what it was called, so apologies if I've got it wrong). As the Bakers Wife I think she gave an incredibly touching performance and vocally stood up to the score. I don't need to say anything about Meryl, she speaks for herself. James Corden did a great job and didn't stand out like a sore thumb which I was worried he might. Anna Kendrick stood out as being the only main protagonist with an American accent, but I'd rather that than have her put on a terrible British accent, she made a good Cinderella. I didn't mind the two kids playing Jack and Red Riding Hood, I'm not a fan of kids in musicals, but they were ok. The supporting cast were all good too, apart from Mr Depp - a terrible piece of miscasting as the seedy wolf. As he proved in Sweeney Todd, he just isn't vocally strong or adept enough to carry this type of musical off.

The moral of the story is hammered home a little, but it's done with humour. You have characters that you care about.

For those complaining about some events not being right - try reading the originals. They are incredibly gruesome and Stephen Sondheim pays homage to the originals in some of his scenes - the ugly sisters having bits cut off for to make the slipper fit for example is from the original story, just not from the Disney verions and childrens books we're all used to and grew up with.

If you're sick of "Happy Endings" and wondered what it might look like after they all got their wishes, riches and good looks - then this film is for you. If you're Disney musical fan you possibly will be disappointed, and I wouldn't suggest it for the very young either.

It is, however, a good musical and a good film version of it. And if you forget that Disney had anything to do with it and watch it as a piece of work written by one of the most successful modern writers of stage musical in the last century you will probably be able to take it for what it is, rather than judging it against what you were expecting. Sondheim, although incredibly popular, is a real marmite writer. I have many friends who love his work and are incredibly passionate about his music, and others who would rather sit through Andrew Lloyd Webber, who musically couldn't be further from Sondheim in style.

If it is new to you and you do decide to watch it, I hope you enjoy it. No, not hope. I wish...

100ft expandable hose pipe with multi-function nozzle by Watergreene, blue garden hose expands up to 100 feet (30m-33m). Supplied with quick connector, 1/2" and 3/4" thread attachments and spray gun accessories.
Offered by CJ-MaX

4.0 out of 5 stars Settings are great, but the mist setting isn't a mist on ..., 3 July 2015
Have been using this now for a couple of weeks. Desperately wanted to replace my old hose reel as the piping kept cracking and leaking so the 60ft hose ended up about 30ft by the time I had to keep cutting massive chunks off where it was leaking. This was ideal for me as I wanted something compact but that would reach from the back garden tap through to the front garden. Fitted the tap well, a small amount of leakage from just under the spray head and no amount of tightening seems to stop it. Settings are great, but the mist setting isn't a mist on mine, it's two-pronged fine jet. Not a setting I would particularly use anyway, but worth mentioning incase anyone does want that one. So far no complaints for this product. I also bought a hook that slips over the tap and you can hang this hose on it to keep it tidy. Worth the few pounds more. Takes all the effort out of watering the garden! Great product so far. Loses a star because of the minor leak and the lack of mist.

FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS
FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, 16 July 2014
This review is from: FIFA 14 by EA SPORTS (App)
This game is absolutely phenomenal as it has absolutely amazing graphics and you can keep it up to date whenever you want to and I really like it because of its ultimate team

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars feint kitty, 6 May 2014
Mug looks great but the design fades. 4 months later it's really feint and thats not every day use and washing. It may be that its not dish washer proof ad its been through that about 8 times but the rest has been hand washing. As a novelty gift it was worth it but by next Christmas im guesing it will be just a plain mug.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3