Profile for Reader Ruth > Reviews

The Best of Matt 2013
by Matthew Pritchett
Price: 6.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Matt, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Best of Matt 2013 (Paperback)
Brilliant as ever. I have been buying these books for twenty years and love Matt's sharp wit and ability to combine major stories on any day in one small picture brilliant. I like to look back over other the other "Best of "books and it reminds me of the key stories and people over many years now. A history of Britain in cartoons - I love it.

Haphazard by Starlight: A Poem a Day from Advent to Epiphany
Haphazard by Starlight: A Poem a Day from Advent to Epiphany
by Janet Morley
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Advent Poems, 29 Jan 2014
I liked the style of this book with a different poem and comment from the author for every day from December 1 - January 6. The comments on each poem were very detailed and also linked other poems in the book where appropriate. I used it as my Advent book but found I couldn't keep up with one poem per day and have taken my time to finish the book. There were some well known poems but a lot of new-to-me poems which I found broadened my horizons and made me reflect on different styles and thoughts about the season. I liked the format and have bought the sister book for Lent. Would recommend to others who like an Advent book - can be used on your own or in a small group setting.

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike)
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Cormoran, 29 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this book and found that towards the end I couldn't put it down. Its about a private detective with many issues who sets out to solve a case that could make or break him. There were a lot of descriptive passages throughout the book so you could really picture the people and the places. I think it would make a great film. Happy to recommend to those who like a well-told story.

The Best of Matt 2012
The Best of Matt 2012
by Matthew Pritchett
Price: 5.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Another year gone, 28 April 2013
This review is from: The Best of Matt 2012 (Paperback)
As ever I loved Matts take of the year's events. I have been having the "Best of Matt" books for about 20 years and he never disappoints.
I love his sense of humour and way of linking two headlines into one cartoon.
Can't wait for this year's edition!

Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Poirot)
Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Poirot)
Price: 5.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A sad end, 28 April 2013
I had wanted to read this book for ages and wasn't disappointed. It hasn't been shown yet on TV and so I knew nothing about it and as with all Agatha Christie novels it was very different. I was sorry to read of the demise of Poirot but pleased to catch up with Hastings.
You need to read right to the end to get the full story and I didn't work out what had happened. I did wonder at one point if Hercule himself had been fooled.
A quite easy read but very enjoyable - if you like Agatha Christie then you won't be disappointed

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Really unusual, 28 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book. It had some laugh out loud moments - not just with what happened but also with the way it was written.
It was an unusual setting, beginning and ending in Sweden, and provided a very different take on world events.
I liked the main character Allan and enjoyed his life story interwoven with the current events which link to the title.
For something a bit different, fun and also very interesting I recommend this book.