Profile for M. Kirk > Reviews

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes
by Tessa Kiros

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, 15 Jun 2010
I love this cookery book for many reasons, not least of all because it is a very beautiful and charming book from cover to cover.

I enjoyed the fact that Kiros is not just sharing some recipes she has accumulated through researching the cuisines of other countries and blandly presenting them as her own, but that she has lovingly chosen those recipes which have informed her childhood and her present and that show us who she is. This is an autobiography through food and one that gives me a warm sense of nostalgia every time I thumb through its pages deciding what to cook next and where in the world I feel like dining!

If you are a cook book fan, then this one is a must have for your collection.

Blades of Glory (2007) [DVD]
Blades of Glory (2007) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Will Ferrell
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoolander on ice, 1 Aug 2007
This review is from: Blades of Glory (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
In many respects, I would say I don't go for the low-brow option in anything. And that's not snobbery, that's just personal preference. But, when it comes to Will Ferrel, he has a way of making the low-brow genius, quite frankly! I was already a big fan of Anchorman and Zoolander (Mugatu is a fantastic character) and had endured some of his not so funny comedies just out of pure belief that he does have a decent grain of comedic talent. So, Blades of Glory did not dissapoint! Both Ferrel and Heder (who is sublime in Napoleon Dynamite) play their roles perfectly and the whole film sends up figure skating beautifully, much in the same way that Zoolander sends up the modelling world. If this is generally your kind of comedy, then this film is a winner. If not, then you'll probably just assume I'm a numptie.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2013 9:44 AM BST

The Lovely Bones
The Lovely Bones
by Alice Sebold

1.0 out of 5 stars The Schmaltzy Bones, 20 July 2007
This review is from: The Lovely Bones (Paperback)
Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones could have been a thought provoking and tender insight into what would be any family's worst nightmare. Instead, what I read was a Hallmark interpretation of an intensely tragic situation. The first 20 pages or so started out quite promisingly. The moments dealing with the parents' intial reactions to the event and their feelings of grief struck me as particularly sensitive accounts of what it must be like to lose a child. However, it soon turned into a ridiculous story that shamelessly tugged at the heart strings and left me feeling a little more nauseous than I would have preferred!

This is a poorly written children's book with disturbing adult content. Was Sebold confused about her target audience when writing this tripe? I mean, what on earth possessed her to name the raped and murdered girl something as twee as Suzy Salmon?! You either write in the style of Beatrix Potter or Bret Easton Ellis; don't give us a warped melange of the two!

In the spirit of fairness, I realise I may not be this book's target audience - I'm sure fanatics of Mills and Boon would lap it up.