Profile for UrbanRambler > Reviews

Content by UrbanRambler

UrbanRambler "urbanrambler" (SE London)

Garmin eTrex 30 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 30 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Price: 156.52

3.0 out of 5 stars Still missing my Vista Hcx, 19 Jan 2014
I lost my Vista HCx, and still miss it. To console myself I bought an Oregon 650 - what a mistake! So I've now got the Etrex 30, which might one day grow up to be as good as the Vista HCx. Sure, it's got lots of functions but somehow it doesn't all come together like it did in the Vista. I think that Garmin are trying to please too many people in one device so it has lots of features that I'll never use, but those that I do need are somehow lacking completeness. One day they'll get it right.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2014 11:24 PM GMT

Qstarz BT-Q1000XT Travel Recorder/GPS Tracker/Bluetooth GeoTagging
Qstarz BT-Q1000XT Travel Recorder/GPS Tracker/Bluetooth GeoTagging
Offered by Comtechlogic
Price: 84.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and (hate) its quirks., 19 Jan 2014
This lovely little device 'does what it says on the tin'! I only use it as a data logger but it does that job superbly and accurately. The battery and storage capacity lasts all day so you just switch it on and forget about it. The accompanying software is quite capable, and if all you want is the data then GPSBabel extracts it nicely. To put such a fine product in a cheap, poorly-designed plastic pouch seems a bit misguided, but I suppose that does the job also (unless it's raining).

Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648
Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648

2.0 out of 5 stars Who writes the reviews?, 19 Jan 2014
I bought this after reading all of the glowing reviews, but the product didn't match up to my expectations. This is a cheap razor that performs like a cheap razor. If you want a cheap razor this does the job, but don't expect it to compete with more expensive models. Battery life is good but otherwise it's a basic razor.

Freedom... Is More Than Just a Seven-Letter Word
Freedom... Is More Than Just a Seven-Letter Word
by Veronica Chapman
Price: 8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Really glad I bought this book, 19 Jan 2014
Full of useful information and quite readable. If you want to know something about the 'Freeman' philosophy and its application, start here.

Berghaus MENS Explorer Trail Light Grey 80024 G10 11 3/4UK
Berghaus MENS Explorer Trail Light Grey 80024 G10 11 3/4UK
Price: 81.13

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice, comfortable boot - within limits., 19 Jan 2014
I now realise that I buy a pair of Berghaus Explorer boots every year. That's because the soles wear out after a year's use. Perhaps that's a design feature to ensure repeat purchases and something like Vibram would probably make them more expensive. However I shouldn't complain because I they're a very comfortable, waterproof, breathable boot. The 'Light' version of the Explorer is not quite as hardy as other versions but as long as you don't go wading through brambles, etc. the exterior fabric and stitching should hold up.
So I'll keep buying them, because they are a really good boot, are excellent value for money, and fit like a glove from the first minute. I'd recommend them to anybody doing country walking in all seasons.

Trekmates TRKFSM Folding sit mats - Black, One Size
Trekmates TRKFSM Folding sit mats - Black, One Size
Offered by Daleswear Outdoors
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 months on, and still pleased I bought one!, 19 Jan 2014
In the middle of winter, in the pouring rain, with only a wet rock to sit on - this is what you need! It's a very light folding mat that provides a bit of comfort and prevents you getting a wet backside. Life's best pleasures are simple, just like this product. Where I go, it goes, and I wouldn't be without it.

Procter Pest-Stop 1 x Trip Trap Boxed Pack
Procter Pest-Stop 1 x Trip Trap Boxed Pack
Price: 3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap copy of original, 19 Jan 2014
The original product worked. The latest ones don't! The differences are minor, but a trap either works or it doesn't, and those that I've purchased recently might look like the real thing - but they're not. Don't waste your money.

Garmin Oregon 550 GPS System
Garmin Oregon 550 GPS System

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - shame about the product, 14 Feb 2013
I use GPX devices for OSM mapping and the idea of having a competent GPS device with a camera appealed to me. However, I was sadly disappointed by the Oregon 550. Firstly, the screen is awful! I assume that the developers tested it in bright sunshine because on a dull winter's day in the UK the screen is very dull and difficult to read most of the time. This also applies when using the camera. It's hard to even see what you are photographing, let alone the result of taking the shot. I understand that there are camera controls on screen, but I've only ever glimpsed them briefly so they are useless. The battery doesn't hold out for more than a few hours surveying so it's not much good relying on it as a GPS device either. The menus are not intuitive or as configurable as other Garmin devices, so all in all I could not recommend the 550 to anyone wishing to do serious work with it. The concept is good but in practice it just isn't up to the job as either a GPS device or a camera. One day they will refine this into a really good tool, but they are nowhere near that yet. In the meantime I'll fall back on my Garmin Etrex HCx - now there's a good tool, and you can always carry a camera as well.Garmin Oregon 550 GPS System