Profile for Mrs. Mary L. McDermott > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Mary L. M...

Mrs. Mary L. McDermott "Mary Lou" (Glasgow, Scotland, UK)

Child 44
Child 44
by Tom Rob Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Child 44 - stunning, 17 Mar 2009
This review is from: Child 44 (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Child 44 - and it will put me off reading other books for a while because of its thrilling and masterful story telling. I have a sketchy knowledge of Stalinist Russia, but I did not believe such cruelty existed. The story is one of personal success - war hero, fast moving promotion in MGB (precursor to KGB?) - but this starts to strangle Leo, our hero. On one level, the Stalinist propoganda level, he believes that there is no crime in Russia - on another level he knows that this is just not true, or possible. The story revolves around the mass murder of children and Leo's hunt to find the killer. The incidents keep coming - and the pages keep turning fast and furiously. I cannot recommend this book enough - I am sitting writing this review in a state of shock with the ending. It will win awards for the sheer brilliance of the suspense. I can't wait for the film - Ridley Scott will make a masterpiece.

The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream
by Barack Obama

5.0 out of 5 stars The Audacity of Hope, 7 Feb 2009
I found this book extremely readable. Because it was written in sections (rather than chapters) I could read them out of order. To be able to read his thoughts on Race, Religion, Other countries, Family etc, this gave an extremely rounded picture of the man. He is truly charismatic - and all the traits which have been written about him before at length. Because of the coverage given to him, his family and his belief systems, it is almost impossible to write a fresh and impartial review - just to say he has the knowledge and ablity to make changes, and to paraphrase his own words - yes he can!! OUTSTANDING BOOK!!!

The Birds Call Me Seb
The Birds Call Me Seb
by John Richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different - definitely one for the boys!!!, 17 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Birds Call Me Seb (Paperback)
This book is different - written from a perspective of a Glasgow lad who has only a short time to live. What does he think? What does he do? Does he have a point of view? Well - all of these and a lot lot more. I laughed out loud several times when I read it. If you are in your late teens, early twenties this is the book for you. Once you've read it you will be recommending it to your friends. An excellent Christmas read