Profile for Ds Roberts > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic lens, 9 Mar. 2014
I have a Canon 700d (crop sensor)
My lens are:
18-135mm STM
50mm 1.8 "Nifty fifty"
...and now the above 85mm 1.8
I love it!
This lens first came out 21 years ago and is still going strong. When something works well there is no need to change it.
I wanted this for better portrait photos and the ability to shoot in poor light conditions with lower ISO settings. The large 1.8 aperture allows so much more light into the camera that it is able to focus quickly and the ISO settings stay low and I get crisp shots.
The focal distance is 85mm but on crop sensor cameras like mine that means 85mm times 1.6 which is circa 135mm in real life.
This works fine for portrait work and for the family shots which is why I bought it.
The ability of this to shoot in poor light indoors is great and means it can focus quickly for me to get the shot.
The downside of this lens is that it is a prime lens so it does not zoom at all which means you have to move with your feet to get the shot you want. In my house this means I struggle with certain shots as I have to be much further back. This can sometimes help as it keeps you far away form the subject so as to not disturb them such as children.
The lens is made well but it is not a top of the line L series lens so is made with some plastic. It still feels good though and is very pleasing to hold.
I have bought a UV filter for it to protect that glass and a rubber lens hood to help with lens flare and to protect it as well.
I recommend this lens however know what you want to use it for before you buy it and understand the difference between crop and full sensor cameras as well.
Cameras come and go but classic lens don't. This 21 year old lens is still selling for £240 second had on ebay!

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok to start with..., 9 Mar. 2014
Not the quality that I expected and after a few washes it shrunk and I can no longer wear it. I got to wear it several times but it has not lasted.

Transcend 32GB Ultimate SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 600x [Frustration-Free Packaging]
Transcend 32GB Ultimate SDHC Class 10 UHS-I 600x [Frustration-Free Packaging]

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well in my DSLR, 9 Mar. 2014
I have a canon 700d (18 megapixel) and I have just moved from shooting jpeg to RAW format which are four or five time bigger file sizes. So my SD cards are no longer big enough and I needed bigger ones. The market leader are sandisk extreme pro but they are very expensive and I was able to buy this 32GB card for the same price as a 16gb sandisk.
I have tried both on full automatic mode in my camera and they both fire off 6 shots at full speed and four more slightly slower then slow down even further after the tenth shot.
When set to jpeg I get continuous 90 shots before it even begins to slow down.
I can not tell a difference between the two cards using this simple testing method.
However Sandisk have just released the worlds fasted card at 280MBs but it is still unavailable and when it comes on to the market it will be very expensive.
This Transcend card works very well with my camera and I am unable to identify any difference in speed with the sandisk.
This is very fast and significantly cheaper than sandisk's extreme pro SD cards.
I have just got this card so I can't speak for reliability but before moving to sandisk I always had Transcend cards and I have never had any problems with them.
I recommend this card and I will buy more if I need them.

Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography
Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 17 Feb. 2014
I have red this book once and I am now going through it again. I am am amateur and I have learnt a lot already.
I love the videos and particularly the way Tony describes things.
I understand how things work as he has a great way of imparting knowledge.
This book will last me quite some time as it takes you from beginner to expert. There are several parts that I don't have much interest in such as wildlife photography however these parts are covered so as to not miss any part of photography out.
I can't recommend this book enough.

Neewer® BG-E8 Replacement Battery Grip for Canon EOS 550D/600D/650D/700D Rebel T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i SLR Camera, Works with 1 or 2 Pieces LP-E8 or 6 Pieces AA Batteries

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 17 Feb. 2014
I did a lot of research before buying this grip and came to the conclusion that cheap third party products are perfectly fine and up to the task.
The grip is good quality and all the buttons work well and the rubber feel to it makes it feel very secure in the hand.
I have a canon 700d and this really bulks it up. I recently did a friends birthday party where I took over 1,200 shots and the twin battery pack showed no signs of giving up. The extra grip that this gave me on portrait shots was also what I wanted.
The AA battery insert does not feel very good though and I struggled to get the AA batteries in and then they fell out each time I tried to put it in the grip.
I have no intention of using it and only tried it out of curiosity.
I use a side hand grip on the camera and it works so much better with the battery grip than without as it provides a second loop to attach it to at the bottom whereas without the battery grip it screws into the tripod screw which means that there is a plastic plate under your camera.
So the grip works well and is well made and certainly adds bulk to the camera. Makes it look good to however it now does not fit in the bag that I have just bought!

bee bright first steps with Justin Fletcher (2-4 years)
bee bright first steps with Justin Fletcher (2-4 years)
Dvd ~ Justin Fletcher
Offered by bee-bright

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Justins best, 14 Jan. 2014
My children love Justin but this DVD did not work for them at all. I think it relied too much on computer graphics and not enough on Justin who is always excellent. I do not recommend this at all.

chinkyboo 6" Professional Hair Cutting & Thinning Scissors Shears Hairdressing Set + Case
Offered by chinkyboo

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay quality, 14 Jan. 2014
The scissors are fine but the thinning set are not. My wife tried them on my hair and they were very rough pulling my hair out. The price for the scissors alone is okay and they work just as fine.

The Good Wife - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
The Good Wife - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julianna Margulies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great storylines, 14 Jan. 2014
My wife and I love this show and the price per episode is really cheap. You get over twenty episodes each nearly an hour long. Value for money.
We watched these seasons all mixed up because we caught some on the TV and we were still able to really enjoy this season.
I really think this is a great show.

The Good Wife - Season 2 [DVD]
The Good Wife - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julianna Margulies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, 14 Jan. 2014

Oral-B AdvancePower Kids D 2010 - tooth brush (Colour and Design May Vary)
Oral-B AdvancePower Kids D 2010 - tooth brush (Colour and Design May Vary)
Offered by Activecare Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy little girl!, 14 Jan. 2014
My daughter had been giving e a hard time when I brushed her teeth.
I bought this to make it easier and it really has. I am able to brush her teeth much better than before and she loves the princess on it. I recommend this particularly if you are struggling to brush your children's teeth.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9