Profile for H. Lewis > Reviews

Content by H. Lewis

H. Lewis "JellyReader" (London, UK)

The Culting of Brands : Turn Your Customers into True Believers
The Culting of Brands : Turn Your Customers into True Believers
by Douglas Atkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Illuminating, fascinating, 29 Sep 2011
This is quite simply my favourite book on branding. Having read so much in the genre, I can say honestly, that this explains more clearly the principles of building an strong brand than any other book I've read. I know this because I've owned 4 copies. Sometimes I lend it and get it back...sometimes I never see it again. Without exception, anyone who has read it has found it brilliant. "Lovemarks", which was published a year later, and many other books about building "lovable" brands, seem to have ripped this off in a quite spectacular fashion.

Combine this book with reading Dan Ariely's "Predicatably Irrational", Sheena Iyengar's "The Art of Choosing" and Geoff Miller's "Spent" and Thaler and Sunsteins "Nudge", for a brilliant overall picture on consumer behaviour, which will tell you more about branding and selling than most other books in the "Branding" seciton will ever be able to.

59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot
59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot
by Richard Wiseman
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fascinating, 1 Sep 2010
The real problem with this book is that after you finish it, you want everyone to read it. Yet you also want to keep a copy. It's filled with fascinating insights from the world of research, turned into practical examples of how to apply these things to your life. One that resonated with me (in the parenting section) is that telling children they are clever actually makes them perform worse. Simply because if the child tries something and FAILS it must be validation that they are not clever after all. My mum went pale when I told her. Three bright children and not an academic qualification between them...

I loved this book and think that there must be at least one thing within its pages to inspire every person reading it to improve their life, even in the tiniest way. If you enjoyed reading books such as Freakanomics, Predictably Irrational and Outliers you'll probably love this.

For Richer, for Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
For Richer, for Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
by Victoria Coren

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality in your hand, 12 Dec 2009
Of all the books I have read on poker in the last few months this is the only one that conveys any atmosphere, real feeling or depth. You can explain anything technically, but if someone described kissing the way most books talk about poker you'd never want to try it. This book conveys what it's like to give poker a passionate snog and feel your knees wobble. The prose is a joy to read.

By way of explanation - I'm learning about poker from a starting point of no knowledge whatsoever, hoping to make it into the gaming industry and a friend recommend I read up on Victoria Coren's articles on poker and her website. I was lucky - this book was due out the week after and I yummed it up, cover to cover. Poker aside, it's an honest and moving memoir, as well as being pant wettingly funny in places.

Oh and I start my new job in poker next week. I can say this book was instrumental in helping me understand so much more than the technical. I've snogged poker and I liked it...

How to Lead: What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed
How to Lead: What You Actually Need to Do to Manage, Lead and Succeed
by Jo Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing. Really., 30 Jun 2006
I've read just about every business book there is. I love them. This book, however, stands out as one that I would totally recommend to anyone in a management postion - or anyone who wants to be there. Practical advice abounds, as does humour. It's very honest about the challenges of work, of leading a team and the snippets of wisdom are priceless. Put it like this - I've been buying stuff on amazon for years and this is the first review i think I've written! I've just started a job leading a small team and this book is helping me cope with all the new challenges it brings. Buy it.